The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Possible phone scam

Guest CLARENCE

I get Indian guys called Patrick down here too, so its an international problem. Played along with one once to see what they were up to.

Got me to run a few harmless windows commands that give a known output, (eg netstat)  then ask me to confirm what the output was as 'proof' that they are actually my ISP since "no one else would know that information."

Then they asked me to download teamviewer which is remote access software so they could 'fix my system' (ie steal my bank details).

At this point I made my excuses and left.

And blocked the number.

• RMweb Premium

Winding  them  up  is  always  tempting  but  may  give  problems.

I  had  one  call,  a  person  named  "Nigel"  acting  for  "The  National  Electricity  Board"  with  a  strong  sub  continent  accent.

I  wound  him  up  good  &  proper  but  had  then  two  follow  up  phone  calls  around  2am  with  verbal  abuse.

The  telephone  companies  could  snuff  these  calls  out  quickly  by  blocking  known  sources,  they  wont  of  course,  they  make  money  from  them.

Pete 

Yes, that is always a risk. Its human nature to be hostile & react, but perhaps he resigned soon after, as the stress must of been too much. LOL.

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that I've also recently had an 'Automated Kevin' ring as well, picked up the phone to hear a robotic voice telling me that my internet was going to be cut off, press 5 for attention etc**. So it seems that even scammers get made redundant by technology.

Only 2 calls yesterday, one was a silent ringer so someone else caught it, and the other I just kept answering with random words .....fish.....taamousalata.........thong......a thin layer of lemon curd....'Richard' was a bit confused and he hung up after a few minutes...

Edit - ** as MarkC says....don't ever do this.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could try this on these callers

Already have, only I didn't give them any hold music. They had to listen to the kettle boiling, the coffee cup being stirred and then just for good measure I took the phone to the loo for a #2. The plucky lady was still hanging on the end of the line when I finished!

• Like 2

Used to get quite a lot of them. Not so much anymore. I feel it is my civic duty to keep the f**kers on the phone as long as possible to reduce the number of calls they can handle and the chances of hooking a sucker. Managed 22 minutes once. If I'm busy and the call is from blocked or an obvious fake number (02003 for example) I tend to answer with "Microsoft Security, how may I help you". For me TPS and ex-directory for 11 years has made no difference. If I can ever get the inlaws to use Whatsapp, we can ditch the land line altogether. 

The ones that really p*ss me off are the "you've had an accident" recordings. This bunch have more or less given up on land lines and now call mobiles. I've currently over 60 blocked numbers from these arsebadgers. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I've also recently had an 'Automated Kevin' ring as well, picked up the phone to hear a robotic voice telling me that my internet was going to be cut off, press 5 for attention etc. So it seems that even scammers get made redundant by technology.

Never, ever, do such a thing, great though the temptation might be :(

• RMweb Gold

I've used it before. I hope it bears repeating....

"You've got a problem with your internet connection...."

"OK, what do I need to do....?"

"OK, you need to open Windows.."

"Right! I've opened windows, but make it quick, it's very cold...."

Ian

• Like 7

I have several good wind ups when they ring including 'my land line won't reach into the computer room' which can get entertaining if played along. I have even been asked my address before and they even took it down word for word without realising- 999 Letsby Avenue!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Already have, only I didn't give them any hold music. They had to listen to the kettle boiling, the coffee cup being stirred and then just for good measure I took the phone to the loo for a #2. The plucky lady was still hanging on the end of the line when I finished!

I hope there were plenty of asides such as "By Jove, I needed that" and "Oh Boy! That's better out than in" to set the scene..... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I hope there were plenty of asides such as "By Jove, I needed that" and "Oh Boy! That's better out than in" to set the scene..... :jester:

Absolutely! :D

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned, Tru Call is an excellent answering and screening service as you can programme all sorts of things including messages suggesting callers 'go away' and known numbers can come straight through the screening. Best thing I've used  as TPS was not very good at all. Had this for about 3/4 years now and have only had about two localish callers that bothered to get through the screening process and I was able to listen to them before pressing receive anyway, so I didn't connect. Some robots start to leave their message but get cut off as it is the short space where people calling give their name for ID.

Worth every penny IMO.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I just tried the TPS website, in Waterfox, Windows 7, 64 bit. It resulted in an Insecure Connection warning, and that the website is improperly configured. So I feel a bit stuck. I thought I had better let you all know about this.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had several calls recently asking me about my “recent car accident”. I told the last caller that I was looking at my undamaged car as I was speaking and could only assume that she was a clairvoyant who had foreseen that the accident was going to happen in the future. I then asked her to advise me when it would actually be taking place so I could use the bus that day. Funny, didn’t get an answer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm awaiting a call from the DCC Finescale Police about my layout's faulty  wiring and how 'they' can fix it for me if I just give them my details................. :triniti:

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

Either I'm incredibly fortunate or being registered with the Telephone Preference Service does genuinely work as I've never had the 'pleasure' of an unsolicited call from "Kevin" or "Walter" etc. 

You can register for the TPS at https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contact.html 

For those unaware of what the TPS is, copied from their website:

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS

Hope this helps.

Sadly, the arrival the GDPR, being TPS-registered or ex-Directory will not stop these phone calls which use spoofed numbers, originate outside the UK and are virtually untraceable. The perpetrators use block-dialling techniques to call groups of numbers until they obtain a ringing tone. The call is then allocated to a person or a pre-recorded message. Once you answer the person starts talking or the message is played. Sometimes there may be a dwell before the call is allocated and that is the reason for silent phone calls.

A few things you might like to bear in mind:

1.  Calls from numbers beginning 00 are International and most of them are from scammers using spoofed Caller ID numbers. Don’t answer the call unless you know someone abroad.

2.  NEVER RETURN A CALL to an unknown number and NEVER PRESS ANY NUMBERS if told to do so as in either case you may unknowingly be calling a Premium Rate or International number which will incur a very large charge on your bill.

3.  NEVER give ANY information to an unknown caller, no matter however plausible they sound.

4.  Block nuisance numbers on your phone. For a mobile, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for how to do this. For a landline, use a call-blocking phone or the call-blocking service if your provider offers one.

5.  ANY CALL about computer problems, a problem with your broadband, router, viruses, hacked IP addresses, your phone line or broadband being cut off, offers of discounts, etc., IS ALWAYS A SCAM.

NEVER INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE if asked to do so and NEVER allow anyone to access your computer in any way or they will steal your personal information or install a key logger that will allow then to see everything you type.

DO NOT be intimidated by any of these callers. Despite the threats, they cannot  "cancel your computer licence" or internet service.

6.   If you receive ANY call, text or e-mail about your Bank Account, Debit Card or Credit Card, NEVER give ANY information or respond in any way however plausible it may seem. Immediately contact your provider using the details shown on your Statement or on the back of your Debit or Credit card.

7.  The Telephone Preference Service is free and will NEVER call you so ANY call about a call blocking service is a scam.

8.  Don’t waste your breath talking to these people. Put the phone down on them immediately or if you are so minded, tell them to **** off . . .

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Any of the multi-lingual members tried speaking in a language other than English when these people call?

Why bother with a real language - just talk gibberish to them and see if they try to work out which language it is...

• Like 2

I had a phone call today from an Estate Agent enquiring how the sale of our house (with a different agent) was proceeding. My initial reaction was "what business is it of yours" (although I guess he would think it was) and given his approach I tiold him that we weren't interested when he volunteered to offer his services if we didn't find a buyer in the near future.

Presumably there are ways to find landline numbers from addresses. Does the TPS cover this?

• RMweb Gold

I had a phone call today from an Estate Agent enquiring how the sale of our house (with a different agent) was proceeding. My initial reaction was "what business is it of yours" (although I guess he would think it was) and given his approach I tiold him that we weren't interested when he volunteered to offer his services if we didn't find a buyer in the near future.

Presumably there are ways to find landline numbers from addresses. Does the TPS cover this?

So many way Jol,   As an agent they tend to talk to each other as they never know where they'll be employed next. Can get your name from either the electoral roll or land registry, then directory enquiries for the number.

A new one is a text message saying my PayPal has been temporarily locked and I have 36 hours to confirm the account details, they even provide a helpful link, arent they nice!

Obviously it is genuine because PayPal ALWAYS contact me by mobile phone, not!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Latest twist appears to be a recorded message "from BT", that your phone line/internet will be disconnected in the next day; you're instructed "press 1" to speak to a "technician".

Obviously false, but I wonder how many people will automatically press number 1 - presumably to connect to a premium rate number, with further scams to follow (I guess) as they try to take payment for re-connection.

No originating number (no surprise), but I immediately called BT (the real one) to report and see whether they are able to trace the origin of the call.  I was "promised" they would investigate - from insiders I know they have the technology, but there is no political pressure to allocate budgets to pursuing fraudsters and actually serving the British electorate.

A new one is a text message saying my PayPal has been temporarily locked and I have 36 hours to confirm the account details, they even provide a helpful link, arent they nice!

Obviously it is genuine because PayPal ALWAYS contact me by mobile phone, not!

I haven't had that one, but my daughter did last Friday. She sent me a copy of the text and I told her to report it to Actionfraud as it included a number, which was -

I doubt it will have any effect, but at least everyone can block it.