Adding crews to steam locomotive cabs?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Adding crews to steam locomotives

• Yes
    • No

I voted yes, but then, I don't have a shed based layout(but it is in a shedrolleyes.gif ) I still have many to do, but have concentrated on the loco's with the most open cabs first.

• RMweb Gold

I would say a definite yes.It always makes me smile when I see the lovely O gauge locos that cost hundreds to buy and build etc running empty cab on a layout.The cost is minimal but the effect is much better.I won't take a photo of any of my locos without a driver and fireman.I use the ones from Masterpiece/Falcon.

Ditto what Julian said. I would add that they need to be painted well for open-cab locomotives (e.g. a T9) but that is not so important for enclosed cabs (such as an Ivatt 2-6-2T). That is what is holding me up. I have several locomotive and bus crews awaiting finishing on my work bench; some of them have been there so long they are sprouting whiskers!! ? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Ditto what Julian said. I would add that they need to be painted well for open-cab locomotives (e.g. a T9) but that is not so important for enclosed cabs (such as an Ivatt 2-6-2T). That is what is holding me up. I have several locomotive and bus crews awaiting finishing on my work bench; some of them have been there so long they are sprouting whiskers!! ? :lol:

Ahem! So wot's wrong with whiskers?

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, this is one of the big dilemmas of life as a railway modeller smile.gif .

I tend to agree that they should be there, at least for open cab locos. Fortunately figures are available (in 4mm at least) of crew that stand in relatively relaxed poses, eg with fireman standing relaxed with shovel (rather than furiously shovelling smile.gif ), and driver leaning on cabside. This makes it look ok even for a stationary loco, I think.

Guest 009matt

They do look good in the loco. Even on shed, they could be prepping the loco??? Falcon do figures that are well painted and adapted to fit into r-t-r locos - worth a look!

• RMweb Gold

Any one have a list of the Falcon figures, they do not seem to have a web site and the review in Model Rail was not entirely clear on the ref nos etc.

They are available by mail order from M.R.Hill,20 Millvale Meadows,Milland,Liphook.Hampshire. GU30 7LZ.

If you are going to Warley you may find them on the Rural Railways detailing bits stand.Alternately contact me by PM and I will send you a picture from my copy of the catalogue.

I bought a modelscene loco crew for one of my Hornby terrier's..only room for one at a time thoughhuh.gif

Same problem on the real thing! If you look closely you'll see at least one crew always on the outside - better headroom too...

I really enjoyed painting up a whole load of crew - giving them all different characters - and then spent ages matching different blokes to various locos. Some just didn't seem right on particular locos. I too prefer to have them leaning over the cab side or sat inside the cab, and looking back - which is much more natural than standing bolt upright at the boiler. Does anyone do a fireman hitting the westinghouse pump with a coal hammer?

R

• RMweb Premium

Same problem on the real thing! If you look closely you'll see at least one crew always on the outside - better headroom too...

I really enjoyed painting up a whole load of crew - giving them all different characters - and then spent ages matching different blokes to various locos. Some just didn't seem right on particular locos. I too prefer to have them leaning over the cab side or sat inside the cab, and looking back - which is much more natural than standing bolt upright at the boiler. Does anyone do a fireman hitting the westinghouse pump with a coal hammer?

R

I did my first footplate experience on a Terrier; that was a laugh, the driver, firewoman and 'teacher, spent most of the time hanging outside the cab!

Cheers (oh yes, crew your loco's every time). O.L.D. Boiler

Archived