Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

5 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh yes, I'm guessing that is a proper D60 L6 BB tower compared with that D40EC!!

Here's another shot of the other L2 D40EC, I had to jump and press the button at the same time to get it!!

DSC_0175_(2).JPG

Where is that tower near Felix?

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

5 hours ago, russ p said:

Any idea what they are called? The railway runs alongside the them coming in from March 

I believe they are called Folded-Plate towers but I haven't heard if they have an official Lx designation - there are some more near to Leeds on the M62 or M1 it might be - or something very similar looking.

Cheers Paul

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I’m getting really fond of these L2 D40ECs, I must find plans for some!

They are my one of my favourites in the L2 series!! There are two at Bradwell Power Station, where the line splits into two single arm pylons.

Untitled.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

They are my one of my favourites in the L2 series!! There are two at Bradwell Power Station, where the line splits into two single arm pylons.

Untitled.png

I was completely unaware of them till I went underneath one at Indian Queens. I just thought it was a standard D10. I like most series of pylons but L2, L3, L6, L12, L13, L34 and L66 are my favourites!

best regards, Matthew 

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I was completely unaware of them till I went underneath one at Indian Queens. I just thought it was a standard D10. I like most series of pylons but L2, L3, L6, L12, L13, L34 and L66 are my favourites!

best regards, Matthew 

For me my favourites are L2, L3, L6, L9 and L66

What pylon is this? I also included a PL1 D10 being used as a single circuit D90. These are all near Indian Queens substation 

9D606775-8499-4D26-A737-10B46FD6014C.jpeg

6C171F9E-334F-4501-991E-E36ABC26DC92.jpeg

4CFCE432-A20C-4A7A-AAD3-ECAC5EAF9017.jpeg

I'm not sure, haven't seen them before, however I have seen a similar use of a single circuit on a pylon with full crossarms 

I'll see if I can find it

Kind regards, Felix

17 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Hi Paul, it is on the northern side of Byfleet Electricity Sub Station. Here's an overhead view.

The L2 D40EC's are circled and the one circled in white is the specific one you mentioned,

Kind regards, Felix

Untitled_(2).png

I wonder why they put two D40ECs there if they didn't split the line say to add a substation in. Mind you there are a few lines like that where you get say a DT plonked in the middle for no apparent reason.

Cheers Paul 

25 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

I wonder why they put two D40ECs there if they didn't split the line say to add a substation in. Mind you there are a few lines like that where you get say a DT plonked in the middle for no apparent reason.

Cheers Paul 

Hi Paul, that was actually byfleet sub station. Both D40EC's then go to a DT tower each and that's where both lines stop. Although it is strange how they both have there own DT tower to link to and end the line.

I've got some more photos to give a better view

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

Edited by L2's are great!
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Hi Paul, that was actually byfleet sub station. Both D40EC's then go to a DT tower each and that's where both lines stop. Although it is strange how they both have there own DT tower to link to and end the line.

I've got some more photos to give a better view

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

Ah so further along Weymanor Road and the lane off it I see what you mean now. Maybe they put them in when built to easily allow for future alteration of substation if needed for extra switching capacity and put two new single circuit towers up. On the other side of the substation the L2 and L3 lines terminate on ST380 towers I think they are called?

Cheers Paul

8 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I've been seeing a lot of set ups where an L3 line switches to L7 then back to L3. Is that because L7 was the replacement for L3??

Yes L7 seems to have been the replacement for L3s or L3c towers. There are two good ones near to M5 J21 for Weston-super-Mare clearly added to replace an original L3 D tower when the dual carriageway road into town was built and an L7 D straddles either side of this 132kV line. Not sure on future of this line once Hinkley Point to Seabanks gets built?

Cheers Paul 

Just now, pharrc20 said:

Yes L7 seems to have been the replacement for L3s or L3c towers. There are two good ones near to M5 J21 for Weston-super-Mare clearly added to replace an original L3 D tower when the dual carriageway road into town was built and an L7 D straddles either side of this 132kV line. Not sure on future of this line once Hinkley Point to Seabanks gets built?

Cheers Paul 

Ahh, will check that out mate! L7 looks like a miniaturised L6 to me.

Thanks a lot!

Let's hope they keep it! 

Kind regards, Felix

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There’s another example of L7s and L3s near Gatwick airport. I guess it’s the line running from Bolney substation but it reappears next to the M23 (another unfinished motorway) as an L7 route, leads to a D30 and switches to L3. In that area too there’s a PL7 line that runs from Worthing to Southwick that changes to L3 just after descending from the Hills (Devils Dyke). This L3 line runs in parallel to another L3 line, this being of L3C variant. This line runs to Bolney (Which terminates a good few pylons before the actual substation, mainly because the L6s came after), and then the L3 line starts again as the one I explained earlier in this post. Hope this gives you an idea.

best regards, Matthew 

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

There’s another example of L7s and L3s near Gatwick airport. I guess it’s the line running from Bolney substation but it reappears next to the M23 (another unfinished motorway) as an L7 route, leads to a D30 and switches to L3. In that area too there’s a PL7 line that runs from Worthing to Southwick that changes to L3 just after descending from the Hills (Devils Dyke). This L3 line runs in parallel to another L3 line, this being of L3C variant. This line runs to Bolney (Which terminates a good few pylons before the actual substation, mainly because the L6s came after), and then the L3 line starts again as the one I explained earlier in this post. Hope this gives you an idea.

best regards, Matthew 

Funny you mention those, as they were the ones I was following on google earth!! I wondered why that L3 DT tower was so far away from the main Bolney substation site.

I saw this single circuit L3 line near the M23, was this the one you were talking about?

Kind regards, Felix

Untitled.png

Untitled_(2).png

47 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Funny you mention those, as they were the ones I was following on google earth!! I wondered why that L3 DT tower was so far away from the main Bolney substation site.

I saw this single circuit L3 line near the M23, was this the one you were talking about?

Kind regards, Felix

Untitled.png

Untitled_(2).png

No that’s not. That’s the line from Crawley substation. It has a hybrid PL7 DDT tower and one part of the line is sadly not used anymore (the first photo). The other continues as L3, then switches to PL7 just before the A23 and continues to Bolney substation.

hope this helps,

Matthew 

• Like 1

No that’s not. That’s the line from Crawley substation. It has a hybrid PL7 DDT tower and one part of the line is sadly not used anymore (the first photo). The other continues as L3, then switches to PL7 just before the A23 and continues to Bolney substation.

hope this helps,

Matthew 

Oh I see, that makes more sense, I believe when the line switches to PL7, there is another L3 line adjacent and that also goes to Bolney!

Kind regards, Felix

8 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Oh I see, that makes more sense, I believe when the line switches to PL7, there is another L3 line adjacent and that also goes to Bolney!

Kind regards, Felix

Yes there is, the L3 line used to join right up but because the L6s came they had to be split into two.

best regards, Matthew