Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

55 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I think there is another one somewhere! I like how the designs are combined!

I actually had a better look and noticed 2 things. One, the pylon before that is a D40EC, and 2, it was actually a standard D60 at one point. What happened was they diverted the line to the BICC L6 next to it instead of having both lines going to another L6. I’d much rather model the way it was as it looks more like a D40EC but with an L2 top.

best regards, Matthew 

8 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I was going to mention that D40EC ! I also believe it was diverted when two new L6 low height towers were added in! Hopefully you can see the difference

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

Yep that’s it! I don’t think they are L6s though, I think they are of an L2/L3 type as some do get built every now and then. But I may be completely wrong.

best regards, Matthew 

1 hour ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh, I see!! It does look more like an L2 type now

I don't know why I thought it was L6, probably because it was carrying the quad cables

I can see where you’re coming from, it’s the same tower type that’s at Pelham and all that’s there is BB L6s. I do see the point in what they did there though, by the looks of it they merged the lines together making  some sort of over complex junction..... at this rate they will all be replaced by L8s and L12s and make way for a substation lol

I believe the 400kv line on the right splits down to the first low height tower which goes to the next one, and then links up to the 275kv line, and the junction is complete by that D60 hybrid linking to the L6 DT in series.

I sincerely hope that L8's and L12's don't invade lol

Edited by L2's are great!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I believe the 400kv line on the right splits down to the first low height tower which goes to the next one, and then links up to the 275kv line, and the junction is complete by that D60 hybrid linking to the L6 DT in series.

I sincerely hope that L8's and L12's don't invade lol

Yes that’s correct, but the L2s are on 400kv too otherwise they wouldn’t join. I hope so too. However if they were perhaps they would use L13s instead as L12s can they can only take twin conductors (the DTs can do all of them though) but the L13s can do triple (which the L6 line is).

best regards, Matthew 

23 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Yes that’s correct, but the L2s are on 400kv too otherwise they wouldn’t join. I hope so too. However if they were perhaps they would use L13s instead as L12s can they can only take twin conductors (the DTs can do all of them though) but the L13s can do triple (which the L6 line is).

best regards, Matthew 

Ah, so it is! I have always associated L2's with being 275kv, so sorry for the confusion

Would be great to see the first L13's

Kind regards, Felix

1 hour ago, 25901 said:

I blame you lot now, I'm looking at pylon in a different way now and saw this one today coming back from Thornaby

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2350726,-1.3222663,3a,22.9y,174h,94.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj68Ty2dqElG8FW5iuimkYw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nice L12 low height tower!! or L12LH D30 (It might not be LH)

Edited by L2's are great!

43 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ah, so it is! I have always associated L2's with being 275kv, so sorry for the confusion

Would be great to see the first L13's

Kind regards, Felix

It's ok, as some are running on 275kv. I was following a L66 line from Harker substation north of Carlisle by the M6. I also noticed one of the L12 lines in Yorkshire was a recently replaced L66 line, good old google streetview to the rescue. Just so you can track it this old line starts at Norton substation and just follow the L12 line, it does switch with some L6s too featuring some L6Ms.  I believe some L13s were tested in Saudi Arabia, where though I don't know. Would be really good to see them so lets hope this Kings Lynn extension still happens.

best regards, Matthew

50 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

It's ok, as some are running on 275kv. I was following a L66 line from Harker substation north of Carlisle by the M6. I also noticed one of the L12 lines in Yorkshire was a recently replaced L66 line, good old google streetview to the rescue. Just so you can track it this old line starts at Norton substation and just follow the L12 line, it does switch with some L6s too featuring some L6Ms.  I believe some L13s were tested in Saudi Arabia, where though I don't know. Would be really good to see them so lets hope this Kings Lynn extension still happens.

best regards, Matthew

Ahh yes I know the exact line as I followed it too. Its a shame as I rather like the L66's. 

Talking of Norton substation, there is a very interesting D90 tower there and I couldn't tell whether it was L8 or L12?

And it would be lovely too see some L13's on British soil!

Kind regards, Felix

21 hours ago, Suzie said:

An interesting pylon in Greenwich. I guess it did not travel far to get there...

The-Pylon-2-768x488.jpg

Hmm looks like a Balfour Beatty/Blaw Knox L6 hybrid that has had a few pints and fallen down the hill and embedded itself in the ground. 

In all seriousness though I think it’s lovely to see a pylon statue in London, I need to visit it properly one day.

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Ah ok thanks for the info. Is the line on 400kv or 275kv then as the insulators look way too small to be 400kv.

best regards, Matthew 

Its on 275kV as forms the south part of the Manchester supply ring. Double circuit from South Manchester substation nearby towards Carrington where the line splits via a BB DJT tower and circuit goes off to Daines whilst other circuit goes to Carrington on L2s. Other side of tee goes Daines to Carrington - might be 400kV but I'd have to check. Not sure why it reverts to L2 past the tee? I've often wondered whether it was originally L2 from South Mcr to Carrington them altered when M63 motorway built and so replaced by L6 BB

Cheers Paul 

6 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Its on 275kV as forms the south part of the Manchester supply ring. Double circuit from South Manchester substation nearby towards Carrington where the line splits via a BB DJT tower and circuit goes off to Daines whilst other circuit goes to Carrington on L2s. Other side of tee goes Daines to Carrington - might be 400kV but I'd have to check. Not sure why it reverts to L2 past the tee? I've often wondered whether it was originally L2 from South Mcr to Carrington them altered when M63 motorway built and so replaced by L6 BB

Cheers Paul 

Ah cheers for the info Paul. It might have well been L2 as the substation equipment at one of the substations looked very ok and not like the type you see at a standard L6 populated substation. I only came across this line when I was looking at the old A6144(M) motorway spur. I will follow the L2 line and see where it ends.

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1