Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

10 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Yeah they look the same, to be fair it would be pretty pointless to make a new tower for such a light angle when they can just use the D30 (ignore the L12s they do their own thing) but at first glance they do look different and can see where you are coming from.

Best regards, Matthew

That's a very good point and I find it interesting, as I have always seen them as different, but everyone has a different view!

Kind regards, Felix

14 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Untitled.png

Untitled_2.png

Very interesting, not familiar with the L3s too much (other than the D60 lol), but then again it is a different type of tower like the L66 is, despite them all looking the same and sometimes combining together in a “mix and match” scenario.

best regards, Matthew 

2 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Very interesting, not familiar with the L3s too much (other than the D60 lol), but then again it is a different type of tower like the L66 is, despite them all looking the same and sometimes combining together in a “mix and match” scenario.

best regards, Matthew 

I like the fact that unlike L2, in L3 you either have normal L3D's and then you can also have the L3c D

Edited by L2's are great!

• RMweb Gold

For pylon newbies what is the significance of the two forms of insulator style in the pictures immediately above? Is it that the inline form (nearest), rather than the pendant type on the more distant example, are used where joints in the line occur?

8 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

An unusual sighting of what looks like an L12 junction tower in the middle of a L6 JL eve line.

Untitled.png

Is that the one near Southampton? If so I believe it was to replace an older one. If that’s the case then the line to the left is an L2 line that had some of them replaced and rerouted slightly by L8s. There’s even some of the original concrete foundations left over too.

best regards, Matthew 

On 12/09/2019 at 00:03, john new said:

For pylon newbies what is the significance of the two forms of insulator style in the pictures immediately above? Is it that the inline form (nearest), rather than the pendant type on the more distant example, are used where joints in the line occur?

Not really my subject, however it looks like the 'inline' ones anchor a conductor, the pendant type just hold it up. The anchors occur at sharp changes of direction, and I guess there is a limit to the length of a conductor

Now we need an expert to give a better answer

Richard

• Informative/Useful 1

The reason insulators are strung differently in some cases is down to the pylon itself. The suspension towers which have insulators vertically, are there just to carry the cables in a straight line. The towers which have insulators on either side of each arm are deviation towers and these help change the direction and the reason it is like this is to provide clearance and balance as a deviation force can be rather large (in some circumstances). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Yes, indeed it is! Its weird as I never remember seeing a junction tower there ever! And yeah you're exactly right as to the left there is an L8 D30 and then D60.

I'll have to go hunting for those foundations!!

Kind regards, Felix

Here they are:

D5C057D9-EC3E-4E82-9395-6DC22059EC45.png

6 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Also found this, some hybrid BICC L6 D60/D30 incarnation.  I added a standard D60 for comparison 

7E9AA19E-85F2-4545-984B-E76DC685D5B2.jpeg

82BFEED9-61D4-491D-80DE-B9ED52A5D2C9.jpeg

Ooh wow, never seen that before! Where is that?

there is something similar like that in Lydd, its got a L2 D60 body but has the arms of the D40EC

Kind regards, Felix

31 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ooh wow, never seen that before! Where is that?

there is something similar like that in Lydd, its got a L2 D60 body but has the arms of the D40EC

Kind regards, Felix

It’s along the L6 line between Indian Queens and Taunton substations, I forget exactly where though. As for this one in Lydd, can you show me that one as curiosity has got the better of me lol.

best regards, Matthew  

45 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

It’s along the L6 line between Indian Queens and Taunton substations, I forget exactly where though. As for this one in Lydd, can you show me that one as curiosity has got the better of me lol.

best regards, Matthew  

Of course, here it is,

hopefully you can make out the fully squared off arms

Untitled (2).png

Edited by L2's are great!
  • Like 1