Pigeon Lofts

An unusual request this!

I'm trying to find old photos of pigeon lofts, of the type that could be found on many allotments, particularly in working-class disticts of Yorkshire & Lancashire. I remember seeing them "when I was a lad".

I've tried Googling, but can only seem to find modern types.

Any pigeon-fanciers out there?

Thanks

Tim

You will find nothing much has changed over the years anyway, a normal small wooden shed was used, with the addition of outside shelves and slatted grill windows on one side, maybe with shutters over the birds entrances.

Sheds were wood, treated with creosote, natural finish, rarely painted, except for trim around the door.

Half sheds were used against walls, the position chosen were as open as practical, without too much exposure to the weather.

In a garden or allotment there would be a really good laid path to the door, stones, or gravel, as it has to be visited so often and in bad weather. In garden type situations often there would be a smaller store shed, or even a Dunny next to it.

You may find old "How to keep Pigeons" books from the 1900's onwards useful, there was even a cigarette card series on it.

hope this helps,

Stephen

Backing onto the South Staffs line around Dudley Port were many fanciers with lofts in back gardens/ yards. There are pics, some in colour, in the various albums dedicated to the line. IIRC lofts were decorated in racing colours too! When I locate the aforesaid publications, I'll post the links.

• RMweb Gold

Always found the term 'fancier' for someone who is a pigeon enthusiast quite an interesting one. Does anyone know where it comes from?

Can't quite believe that one would fancy a pigeon in the same way as one might fancy Billie Piper or Keeley Hawes, for example, although perhaps there are those who might mean it in the same way as you might say 'I don't half fancy an ice cream this afternoon'.... ;) ;)

• RMweb Gold

Always found the term 'fancier' for someone who is a pigeon enthusiast quite an interesting one. Does anyone know where it comes from?

Can't quite believe that one would fancy a pigeon in the same way as one might fancy Billie Piper or Keeley Hawes, for example, although perhaps there are those who might mean it in the same way as you might say 'I don't half fancy an ice cream this afternoon'.... ;) ;)

Isn't the term also used for those of us who like felines? I think there may even be an organisation called The Cat Fancy.

OED lists the meanings "be sexually attracted to" and "have an appetite for" as mid-16th century, while "breed (animals etc) or grow (plants) to develop particular points of conventional beauty or "excellence" is mid-19th century. Also the sense of back a horse in a race is mid-19th century.

All the meanings (all somewhat related to "like") come ultimately from "fantasy", which is about as much chance as we've probably got with the aforementioned B. Piper.

Back on topic, there's a business round here called Barnsley Loft & Pigeon Supplies. See their website for modern designs http://www.barnsleyloftandpigeon.co.uk/

The quotes from satisfied customers are a hoot.

Guest stuartp

My sister's mate's dad acheived notoriety in Barnsley for building a two storey extension to his house to keep his pigeons in. Garage downstairs, room the size of a garage upstairs for the pigeons. All done properly to the building regs.

My own memories agree with the others, dark sheds with painted trim. Often quite 'organic' - extended and repaired with a variety of materials, but never scruffy or unkempt.

Isn't the term also used for those of us who like felines? I think there may even be an organisation called The Cat Fancy.

There is, it's the body with whom you have to register pedigree cats, IIRC. I can think of a few on here would know, I never registered mine unsure.gif

Where'd fondant fancy come from then, he said, resolutely off-topic!?!

I think the racing colour ones are pretty strictly northern habits, no coloured ones round here, Kent, although I have see some in the East End of London. Grandad kept both Racers and Tumblers, once very popular in Kent. He owned a transport company and had a lorry outfitted as a carrier and release loft.

As I said old magazines and books are the best source.

Stephen.

Archived