The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It's hot!

Torper

As I said, still out there somewhere, I didn't say immediately accessible and usable!

Mike.

What about water that is split in to hydrogen and oxygen? That is no longer water, so is definitely no longer out there as water. And then there is all the water created from burning hydrocarbons. Most people are concerned about CO2, but a lot of what comes out of the exhaust is newly created water. So not only is all water not still out there, there is new water created too. I am sure there are plenty of other processes that change water into other chemicals/elements which are not H2O, natural as well as artificial. It may not be significant overall, but unfortunately your theory does not hold water....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What about water that is split in to hydrogen and oxygen? That is no longer water, so is definitely no longer out there as water. And then there is all the water created from burning hydrocarbons. Most people are concerned about CO2, but a lot of what comes out of the exhaust is newly created water. So not only is all water not still out there, there is new water created too. I am sure there are plenty of other processes that change water into other chemicals/elements which are not H2O, natural as well as artificial. It may not be significant overall, but unfortunately your theory does not hold water....

Blimey, that's something I didn't know despite being a duck.

Seriously, that is actually really interesting and I often wondered what the stuff was that came, like water, out of the exhaust.

P

• RMweb Gold

Some eejits think it is quite OK to use a disposable BBQ on dry moorland grass.

Our local council have banned the use of BBQs on an area of public grassland near the river - very sensible as a lot of the grass is long and in the past there have been burnt patches on the short grass areas where people have had BBQs.  However I'm now waiting for them to be had up for discrimination as by far the most prolific BBQ users are parties of folk of Indian origin who come over for a day out on Sundays.

• RMweb Premium

Our local council have banned the use of BBQs on an area of public grassland near the river - very sensible as a lot of the grass is long and in the past there have been burnt patches on the short grass areas where people have had BBQs.  However I'm now waiting for them to be had up for discrimination as by far the most prolific BBQ users are parties of folk of Indian origin who come over for a day out on Sundays.

No worries about that as it is a Picnic Blanket ban.............................................................gone.

Ar$£

• Like 1

When the sun's shining I don't find it too bad, especially with some shadows and a bit of a breeze.

It's the muggy, cloudy days that I struggle with, even sitting quietly is too much and there's no shadows to provide respite

Jo

Sadly, an awful lot of Australia's most serious bushfires (as in the ones in populated areas that threaten numerous lives and homes) are a result of arson. It's telling that some areas burn year after year after year, suggesting that they're lit by the same person. A worrying number of arsonists caught turn out to be volunteer fireies, whether because of some misplaced hero delusion or because they like fire a bit too much I've no idea. Second only to arson seems to be people playing silly b¥$$€%s with angle grinders and the like. The various power companies have quite a bit to answer for too, with a number of serious blazes started by decrepit power poles/lines falling over.

As a species, West Australians, at least, have a definite propensity for lighting things up. We spend the summer in mortal dread of fire, sensitive to the slightest whiff of smoke on the breeze. Then, as soon as the summer burning restrictions come off, everyone's out with the matches. Some are sensible and responsible, but enough aren't that the local brigades tend to be on high alert for the first few days of unrestricted burning. There's one block down the road from me which seems to require attendance pretty much every year when things get out of hand.

My 18 month old grandson doesn't see it that way. The paving stones outside his kitchen door (south facing) are too hot for me to stand on for more than ten seconds in the middle of the day, if I have no shoes or socks on. 

He toddles outside onto the paving with bare feet, says "hot" (one of his latest words) and just stands there in the sun pushing cars around the garden table. I'm not sure if I am a wimp or he has the skin of a rhinoceros. 

• Like 6

My 18 month old grandson doesn't see it that way. The paving stones outside his kitchen door (south facing) are too hot for me to stand on for more than ten seconds in the middle of the day, if I have no shoes or socks on. 

He toddles outside onto the paving with bare feet, says "hot" (one of his latest words) and just stands there in the sun pushing cars around the garden table. I'm not sure if I am a wimp or he has the skin of a rhinoceros.

Put some socks and shoes on then!

• RMweb Gold

Still too 'ot here in South Devon to feel motivated to do much.

I was wondering earlier, though, about 1976 and whether that long, hot summer (which I remember well enough) had any consequences in terms of additional infrastructure provision, even new reservoirs etc.? This would be after the mandatory imposition of standpipes in many areas, which even in those days, cannot have been considered an acceptable situation in the long term for a modern, industrialised country?

Did the drought of 1976 result in any significant expenditure on new water infrastructure?

Still too 'ot here in South Devon to feel motivated to do much.

I was wondering earlier, though, about 1976 and whether that long, hot summer (which I remember well enough) had any consequences in terms of additional infrastructure provision, even new reservoirs etc.? This would be after the mandatory imposition of standpipes in many areas, which even in those days, cannot have been considered an acceptable situation in the long term for a modern, industrialised country?

Did the drought of 1976 result in any significant expenditure on new water infrastructure?

Yes, wasn't Roadford reservoir built for that purpose?

Although Plymouth locals would tell me that it was in the wrong place because water couldn't be fed to Plymouth directly without being pumped uphill. So they have to put the reservoir water into the Tamar and then take it out again when it gets close to Plymouth. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, wasn't Roadford reservoir built for that purpose?

Although Plymouth locals would tell me that it was in the wrong place because water couldn't be fed to Plymouth directly without being pumped uphill. So they have to put the reservoir water into the Tamar and then take it out again when it gets close to Plymouth. 

Them engineers are bliddy barmy 'cause when Burrator wuz done then Plymuff had plenty and no pumps needed. Even before that there was Drake's Leat and that was dun by bliddy Romans or some bugg#r s that wuz round then.

Poor Bugg#r Janner.

There was another dry summer more recent than 1976. I think it was 1994 (poor memory). I spend several week in hospital after an RTA  and was not allowed to drive unitl the July, and my friends were telling me i was missing all the class 37's on the north Wales line. But once back behind the wheel, the bit I remember was seeing  and filming the original Festiniog Railway trackbed that had reappeared in the bottom of Tanygrisiau lake due to very low water levels across North Wales.

Incidentally, 'How Green is my Valley' is no doubt true for those who live inland, but how sunny is the coast applies along here, afterall, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay did not develop as holiday resorts for no reason.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Your dry year may have been 1995, Larry. 

Many areas had less than 45mm in the combined three months June, July and August that year which was far lower than many summers. 

1976 was hotter (so far) than this year and it was also a little wetter in most areas, although the 3 monthly rainfall in 76 was skewed by the deluge over August Bank Holiday. 

However, the problem at that time was that 1975 was drier than average, and so was the winter 75/76; and the water shortage was serious in many areas before the 76 hot weather began. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Started to set up for running last night and found that some baseboard joints had shifted slightly, no doubt due to the uncommonly low humidity levels we have had in the last two months. I have to check it out tomorrow to find the cause of the problem

Hopefully a bit of adjustment will fix it as long as nothing has twisted.

• RMweb Gold

Checked out three of the six joints. Problem is not serious on those, 1st one slacked off clamping bolts, pushed down a bit on one side and retightened. Two joints at the fiddle yard had the plastic shims changed and are now OK. Rest to follow tomorrow I hope, there doesn't appear to be any twisting on those so fingers crossed it's just a slack off and retighten again..

First appreciable rain yesterday for the first time in two months, autumnal feel first thing this morning, didn't have to take the dog out at 6am to dodge the heat today - great stuff !!

Edited by bike2steam