40 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Would yours come via Stuka airmail Rob  . . . . ?

:mosking:

Not unless France gets occupied again. Something with a little more range is called for, such as the fw200 Condor.... :D

fw200-1.jpg.6ec4d9f52ac94ea4ffe3e61dbcc3358f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well, that's got a better chance of delivering to the right address than Hermes....

One slight problem you might need quite a lot of glue to stick it back together. It also might be a good idea to build an Anderson shelter just in case as they weren't very precise.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

An Anderson shelter? 

Have you seen the mess a V2 rocket makes?

It does a bit more than take the heads off your garden gnomes and scorch your decking.

You'd be better off with one of the deluxe range of umbrellas from Gamages.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

An Anderson shelter? 

Have you seen the mess a V2 rocket makes?

It does a bit more than take the heads off your garden gnomes and scorch your decking.

You'd be better off with one of the deluxe range of umbrellas from Gamages.....

We'll alright you take your chances with an umbrella and let miss Riding Hood have the Anderson shelter if its like that.

Oh I almost forgot you'll need a shovel to dig all the parts out and you can back fill the crater once you've found all of them. Don't want to upset the neighbours do we by leaving a bloody great hole outside your house now do we.

I suspect that she'd stand in the garden giving the V2 the middle finger as it would land two streets away and Hermes wouldn't even bother to leave a "Sorry we missed you" card. :jester:

As for reassembling the bits, it can't be any worse than assembling Chinese made flat pack furniture? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I know it’s all wrong but this is how I’m doing it, otherwise it will end up either remaining as it has been the last few weeks or going in a skip :lol:

4024342D-1807-4A3A-82E0-B64A07706E42.jpeg.747e2e9f88933d0d74e725b87d1f8968.jpeg

The crane and P-way brake will spend their day where they are, they have always been intended as stationary models to add interest

In front of the crane is where the brake vans of entering goods will be left whilst goods are moved around the yard and eventually be coupled on the tail end of the wagons before departing

Yes the coal stathes and merchants is in wrong place but that’s where it’s going, mainly because of the effort put into making it plus it adds a little interest

It has been decided by the mildly obese controller that vehicular access is not required behind the goods shed and as such there isn’t any

The same mildly obese controller has also decreed that if no more progress is made he will be ordering a skip because he is fed up looking at a bare baseboard

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Actually, there's no need for road vehicles behind the goods shed, they could be loaded unloaded via the door or by crane onto / off a wagon shunted up to the dock ahead of a brake van.

Various photos have shown that there isn't really a "wrong" position for coal staithes provided that both road and rail traffic can access them.

Brake vans and PW equipment would be stored wherever most convenient.

Perhaps there is something in standing in the garden giving the New York cab driver's salute to life's incoming missiles.

As you were, carry on!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I only want to get it finished so I can move on to another layout and join the darkside with @NHY 581 and run some little green diseasels on an industrial type layout 

If there are any 08’s left by the time I’m finished with Warren, I’m not sure they’ll still be available in 2030 :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

I can think of at least three people on here who may have a spare 08...

It's dangerous territory thinking about the next layout when you are only halfway through the first.

I know this because I am already looking at ideas for building the terminus of my railway as a portable that will stow in the space under Aston that will be vacated by all the bits not yet on the layout.

It's a slippery slope. :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's dangerous territory thinking about the next layout when you are only halfway through the first.

I know this because I am already looking at ideas for building the terminus of my railway as a portable that will stow in the space under Aston that will be vacated by all the bits not yet on the layout.

Tell me about it - I've got about half a dozen layouts in my head. Most of which I don't have space for! 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Tell me about it - I've got about half a dozen layouts in my head. Most of which I don't have space for! 

Welcome to my world...........

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

And I have a 10ft x 1ft Minories Mini Project planned for the 18inch hi space under Bute Road.

It has to be done.:swoon:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And I have a 10ft x 1ft Minories Mini Project planned for the 18inch hi space under Bute Road.

It has to be done.:swoon:

If it wasn’t for my clumsy fingers and dimming eyesight I’d like to do an N gauge layout but only because I’m sure I could squeeze one into an alcove somewhere :lol:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

If it wasn’t for my clumsy fingers and dimming eyesight I’d like to do an N gauge layout but only because I’m sure I could squeeze one into an alcove somewhere :lol:

I did Glenfinick in 6ft x 2ft

24475060_GlenfinickJune2013132.JPG.6c19cd33c42426f22816efaf90174004.JPG

961997567_UsedGlenfinickJune2013065.JPG.b84af32ee0c6368e0982a64e2caab01e.JPG

1586560409_GlenfinickJune2013001.JPG.b8bd94053adcda8f289fa082596f12d6.JPG

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

On 21/10/2021 at 18:29, chuffinghell said:

I must admit I too like green diesels, something I will seriously consider once Warren has been finished(ish)

I set my layout in 1919 because I wanted it to be pre-grouping but not during the Victorian age (too much scratch-building) and not during the war (too many complications), so 1919 just kind of happened, for ... reasons.

However I was born in 1959 and so I have a collection of earlyish BR stock and do run this stuff on the same layout without batting an eyelid. The first period I modelled was 1954 because a loco I especially like had its last example withdrawn in that year. But the 1919-1959 span sort of has a bit of a poetic link ... possibly ... I think.

As to why I model railways? I cannot say. I think as children we often like tiny things - dolls, little animals like kittens, mice, hamsters, puppies ... then toy soldiers, toy cars... whatever and so modelling railways is an extension of that. I think there is also deep down a ego-stroking aspect as though you are a god and can benevolently look down upon and control a miniature world that you have created. Freud I'm sure would have a fair bit to say about all that.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/08/2021 at 15:11, chuffinghell said:

F86FDF4C-E304-4854-8222-7DDDE617197F.jpeg.bd10991f195990e79c100ba1d02b8665.jpeg

The chap in the photo is just holding the post level while the glue goes off :lol:

I assumed he was saying "There, there, little signal. The engines aren't so scary after all are they? It'll be alright."

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2021 at 11:24, chuffinghell said:

I only want to get it finished so I can move on to another layout and join the darkside with @NHY 581 and run some little green diseasels on an industrial type layout 

I know that feeling. Bovey Tor has now been ripped out of its old home. So that I can convert the room back to a bedroom. 

The Darks Side has dragged me in kicking and screaming. And so the new layout will be in 7mm And I might have to ask Santa for an 08 for Christmas.

George

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4