Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Not!

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The peanut thing is always a good bit of trivia. My favourite nuts are pistachios, but I hate pistachio ice cream, I find pistachio ice cream to be as vile as pistachios are delicious.

• RMweb Premium

Koss K6 LC headphones

Just a pair of cheap speakers in plastic cases. (literally)

I binned mine, but:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263766946252?chn=ps

However my Koss SST-6s are quite good:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/302715271680_/1985-Vintage-Koss-SST-6-Digital-Ready-Headphones-With.jpg

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Women then. After spending five years atop a Himalayan peak stood in a headstand wearing solely a  loincloth and with snow alone to eat, I got the authoritative dope. I believe this covers all aspects whether or not described 'on the tin'.

Element: woman                                                      Symbol: Wo

First description: Adam (attrib)                             Mass:  typically 60Kg, wide range, upper limit indeterminate

Location:  Widespread. Urban concentrations, but ubiquitously present in conjunction with Element man....

You forgot the illustrations... 

• RMweb Premium

What they now call "weedkillers" in garden centres etc

Proper glyphosate actually works so it must be better to use less of that than gallons of **** ?? ;)

The ones I bought not long ago are still glyphosate.

Keith

got weed killer spray, for my back yard which was thoroughly sprayed. a week later the weeds didnt even wilt the tiniest bit, but but what it did do straight away was give off a strong foul smell, make me nauseous  and difficult to breathe for a few hours. a few days later id ripped up all the weeds by hand just like ive been dooing the past 5 years

not quite fitting with the subject but wilko emulsion paint says on it "do not shake or stir" so how are you supposed to mix it, you cant paint if the pigment and carrier have separated. obviously i ignore it and shake before use and its been fine

supermarket oven pies, if you cook for the said time and heat the top is nice and golden but the middle is luke warm but if you cook it right through for longer the top is black

What don't they do that they are supposed to do? :jester:

(Keep it clean and no swearing)

Keith

Keith,

I feel that it is not so much what they do but more how they go about life. Should I ever attempt to provide what I feel a woman wants via any sort of request she may make, then somehow I end up in bother, lots of bother.

Therefore what it says upon the the tin [of the woman] is a most mysterious form of misinformation that leads to both my confusion and their ire.

Alternatively it might just be me !

Gibbo.

The ones I bought not long ago are still glyphosate.

Keith

Glyphosate really isn't good for the digestive system and causes leaky gut syndrome whereby gut bacteria may cross into the blood stream and cause all sorts of illness' and irritation of the gut.

Glyphosate really isn't good for the digestive system and causes leaky gut syndrome whereby gut bacteria may cross into the blood stream and cause all sorts of illness' and irritation of the gut.

Which is worrying because glyphosate derivatives are found in shampoos and toothpaste (sorry, gone O/T again). 

Which is worrying because glyphosate derivatives are found in shampoos and toothpaste (sorry, gone O/T again). 

Hi Jonny,

Perhaps we need a new thread titled, "What the tin DOES NOT tell us !?!?"

Gibbo.

Laser Mechanics Stethoscope (bought to identify various MGB engine noises). The probe was loose and made it impossible to hear any noise clearly. A call to to the Tool Connection help line got the response (after checking one from their stock) that it was the same so that is how they must all be. Returned for Screwfix who refunded the cost.

Amazon Echo.

I bought one for home control because its cheaper than Apple HomePod and reviews say Alexa is far better than Siri and the speaker is supposed to be OK quality.

The speaker is crap and I got p***** off with hearing "Sorry I'm having difficulty understanding right now please try later".

Now I have an Apple HomePod, sound is far superior and maybe Siri is not as good at answering inane questions but is a million times better with regards home control.

• RMweb Premium

I'll maybe the odd one out here and say that I see nothing wrong with regulations to prohibit coatings, treatments, weedkillers environmentally harmful or a pronounced health and safety risk when more benign alternatives are available. Remember it is not just the effects at the point of use, it is the feed stocks to make the things, the manufacture etc. There needs to be an effective alternative, but that might not necessarily mean as effective as the harmful stuff and some adjustments in how we do things may be necessary. And it is not something Europe has forced on us given that the UK has tended to be one of the EU members pushing for a lot of this stuff (it amuses me when we're told that we might become some sort of rogue elephant country of eco-vandalism after Bexit when on a whole range of issues if anything Europe has retarded some of the environmental measures promoted by our own representatives in Brussels, not to get political or anything).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazon Echo.

I bought one for home control because its cheaper than Apple HomePod and reviews say Alexa is far better than Siri and the speaker is supposed to be OK quality.

The speaker is crap and I got p***** off with hearing "Sorry I'm having difficulty understanding right now please try later".

Now I have an Apple HomePod, sound is far superior and maybe Siri is not as good at answering inane questions but is a million times better with regards home control.

I just can't understand why anybody would want either!

Technology for technology's sake.

Keith

Neither can I, but we have two in the house, wife has ‘alexa’ and son has ‘google’. The only time I’ve found them half-way to useful is to call-up music when doing jobs that are painful without it, ironing for example, which requires terrible line dancing tunes.

When I can say ‘Alexa, please put some music on while YOU do the ironing.’ and get a positive response, I will be truly impressed.

Until then, they are like paying to participate in a beta-test of some software.

• Like 1

Neither can I, but we have two in the house, wife has ‘alexa’ and son has ‘google’. The only time I’ve found them half-way to useful is to call-up music when doing jobs that are painful without it, ironing for example, which requires terrible line dancing tunes.

When I can say ‘Alexa, please put some music on while YOU do the ironing.’ and get a positive response, I will be truly impressed.

Until then, they are like paying to participate in a beta-test of some software.

There was a letter a couple of weeks ago in the Guardian from someone who had held a prayer meeting in their front room, forgetting that their Siri (or similar) was switched on. The assembly finished their joint prayer, only to be followed by a bright 'female' synthesised voice, emanating from the top of a sideboard, saying 'Im unable to help you with your request at present; please try later' A muttered comment came from one of the group, saying 'See; I told you God was female'

I just can't understand why anybody would want either!

Technology for technology's sake.

Keith

I can't help thinking they are a step towards Big Brother cleverly disguised as the next 'must have' time saving home accessory.