Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

, I was under the impression that the EM1s were fitted with a telephone system via the OLE to talk to each other but there is no mention of this at all.

Hi

Me too and I thought it was called something like the clear call system. Maybe it was implemented after this accident.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I was under the impression that the EM1s were fitted with a telephone system via the OLE to talk to each other but there is no mention of this at all.

That’s interesting, and being DC, should have been easy (1500V capacitors permitting!).  However, it was probably very ‘dirty’ DC so likely that communication was not easy so had fallen out of use.

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The accident raises a different question. Only 4 electrics under power were allowed up the branch because of the power drain. The following train, where would it have been held waiting for the one in front to clear oxspring? Would it have been held at wentworth?

Just catching up on this thread which is really interesting!

On 27/12/2021 at 09:27, Michael Edge said:

the catenary has to be painted green - it's all copper wire which turns a rather bright green when oxidised.

I freely admit to knowing absolutely nothing about this, but I'm surprised that the cables carrying the weight weren't steel. Did they have any problems with sagging?

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what they are made of (contact wire is definitely copper) but they have always been green - and not did, many miles of it still in use between Manchester and Glossop/Hadfield.

IMG_1180small.jpg.167f262c750dc1a2af7dd8c9e2853b2b.jpg

Looking east from the road bridge at Hattersley, April 2021.

IMG_1171small.jpg.5065c14d662c992e0f50197c2a12ad76.jpg

Close up from the Glossop branch, April 2021

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

I thought the clear call was on the locos from the outset?

268-24 RS xx061983 sml

I have heard stories of it being unpopular with crews as it was attached to the overhead wire. I’d like to know more about it as to work at all the 1500 volt D.C. would have to be true D.C. with no ripple voltage whatsoever. 

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 16:27, Michael Edge said:

Pantographs fitted to the EM1 now.

IMG_1062.jpg.5d0754ac00f0f0d393fb79094e5f5cf5.jpg

First on the test track.

IMG_1063.jpg.59bfd07150f4bbb35647ea243106b6da.jpg

Under the first section of OLE on the layout.

Finally a short video (from the phone), shows the pans rising as it leaves the tunnel, eventually flicking up as the loco goes off the wire. I really must remember to turn off the radio next time....

I've tried experimenting with some springy wire under the heads to stop them tilting too far when running through the fiddle yard, it does seem to work but they are a bit too visible and they also prevent the pans from locking down now - although this won't be necessary on WJ.

I'll start painting it now.

How nice to see a proper EM1.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If this was ever put on the show circuit, you could actually have this accident out front, say the line is closed whilst recovery takes place, and disappear for your lunch break.

Can`t get more realistic than that. 

Just enough time for a growler and a pint...in true Leeds MRS CIO eating and drinking section tradition.

Baz

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If this was ever put on the show circuit, you could actually have this accident out front, say the line is closed whilst recovery takes place, and disappear for your lunch break.

Can`t get more realistic than that. 

We would just need 6 blue EM1s and a lot of MGR wagons.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

That has other meanings elsewhere in the country. Thankfully I didn’t have a mouthful of tea.

A Growler is.   A pork pie. If people don't know that they live somewhere  other than Leeds ..which is, after all, the centre of the Universe!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A Growler is.   A pork pie. If people don't know that they live somewhere  other than Leeds ..which is, after all, the centre of the Universe!

Ideally eaten hot, with lots of mint sauce.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, Michael Edge said:

OK, I'm not that good with signalling terminology!

Nor was I until Mike @The Stationmaster taught me.

If you're standing facing a signal in the direction of travel, anything behind your rear is in rear of you (and therefore anything in front of you is in advance).

• Agree 1