Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

much easier to build and make work but I'm not sure when this was done

I'd build it that way for variety.

57 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

All other moves are ground discs, including a yellow one but I don't think I'm going to make all of them work

Coward.

57 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I suspect many moves were made on the authority of a wave from the box at this remote location.

You could arrange for the bobby to lean out of the window.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Mike

The signals really look the part.

For those of us whose primary interest wasn't (but might end up being) steam, whats a parachute tank???? is it just a small water tank? Any photos would help? I'm guessing there must have been a similar arrangement up at West Silkstone Junction. 

John

• RMweb Premium

The signals all look good, except that Eckon! Do you have a photo of the proper one Mike? 

And Richard, its about time you got the paint brush out on those posts!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the ground signal photo, mine aren't quite right but I had to do something now.

A "parachute tank" is a small cylindrical tank on a post - you can see it in some of the early photos around Strafford pit.

I don't have a photo of the colour light, or any other c/l distant on the MSW but it's there on WJ signal diagram. It's been lying in my signal spares box for decades and will do for now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

The signals all look good, except that Eckon!

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I don't have a photo of the colour light, or any other c/l distant on the MSW but it's there on WJ signal diagram. It's been lying in my signal spares box for decades and will do for now.

Gut feel is that the ladder would not have gone onto staging but may have had a safety loop.  Just realised that the biggest no-no is the phone on the post at a distant.  Something to remove in the future.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

I've done a quick google of the woodhead line, and its quite interesting in that it looks like it was equipped with colour-lights with flat top sighting boards and tapered hoods. I'm not an expert here, but they look a bit like my Metro-vick Hernia that I have in the garden (so called as it is so bleeding heavy!), but with 'pig's ears' on the side so that the drive (if stood at it would be able to see the main aspect still), but I wonder if they would be fitted on distants (mine has the castings for them, but they are not fitted).

More interestingly the two aspect ones at Woodhead, are actually three aspect heads with the centre aspect blacked off! Presumably this was to allow power-box working to be installed later? That would make an interesting signal make.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/woodhead/woodhead(john_green6.1982)old6.jpg

Theres a good back view of one there as well..

Andy G

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Gut feel is that the ladder would not have gone onto staging but may have had a safety loop.  Just realised that the biggest no-no is the phone on the post at a distant.  Something to remove in the future.

Paul.

Looks like you are right sir, see the photo linked to above.

Andy G

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, uax6 said:

More interestingly the two aspect ones at Woodhead, are actually three aspect heads with the centre aspect blacked off! Presumably this was to allow power-box working to be installed later? That would make an interesting signal make.

I assume the '1982' in the filename is the date of the photo, certainly in 1987 the S&T were mixing and matching to make one good signal out of three duff ones. I've a photo taken from the box at Huddersfield Junction of our S&T Lineman laying several spare signal heads out behind his van whilst trying to cure a persistent fault on one, if I can find it I'll post it.

How much earlier that was going on I don't know but the amount of (by 1987) non-standard kit at Penistone was unbelievable; it was often the case that, rather than send the duty faulting team to spend half a shift fruitlessly scratching their heads, non-critical faults were left until a particular lineman was on duty because he had either fixed it last time or had installed it in the first place !  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mike. You are probably aware of this already but just in case, I will attach this link to a drawing of a GCR "Parachute" water tank/column. This is available on the website along with a good number of other MSLR/GCR drawings for fences, loading gauges, platforms, cattle pens etc. Very useful for people like us!

http://www.swithland-signal-works.co.uk/plans/46_PARACHUTE_WATER_COLUMN.jpg

Maybe a nice one for an etched kit? (hint hint) Edit to add for the tank anyway, the pipes etc won't etch easily!

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 2