Wentworth Junction

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mike has kindly provided me a dxf of his 2D drawing of the Wentworth water tower to see if we can 3D print it.

After a little work over the weekend, we now have a 3D model for the Photon M3. Its based around designing three basic modules that are assembled much like the original I suspect.

• 1 side Panel
  • 1 corner
  • 1 bottom panel

Screenshot2023-04-20131615.jpg.79bd8b77de7c8e3539de2f4c97bac112.jpg

After running it through the slicer I have found an orientation that will enable it to be printed whole. However, I'm not happy with its angled arrangement entirely so I have opted to print half in an orientation that will give a good result. This will also give a test of the concept and thickness of the panels etc.

The Photon is currently half way through its 7 hour print time, looking good so far. I will let you know how it went on a little later 🤞

Andy

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, innocentman said:

The Photon is currently half way through its 7 hour print time, looking good so far. I will let you know how it went on a little later 🤞

The print has finished and it has had time to cure in the spring sunshine. 
9FCE61EC-0812-4268-AC5F-80752329DC89.jpeg.0fc52e96c9f2a7794dda84e8ca4da397.jpeg

3B3B1E99-6980-4030-9401-2D41B950DCDF.jpeg.eea7f5a640ffa9376c2573cb2cecbd0e.jpeg

Overall very pleased but does have one issue with the tank bottom warping. I will add some ribs to strengthen it stop it warping on the next version. I will make the ribs deep enough to act as a support for a sheet of plasticard or similar that can be used to creat a base for whatever way Mike wants to create the water effect.

Back to Fusion 360

Andy

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Mike

Apologies in advance for the random question but what are the overall dimensions of Wentworth Jcn and the fiddle yard? I've had a look through the thread but couldn't see anything.

Thanks in advance

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some progress now with the fencing.

IMG_2076.jpg.ec49ed754646303ed9b897264295bf6f.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg.24f0f9d252a8109db426b14bc63aac49.jpg

Fence posts 3D printed by Innocentman, the wire is grey cotton thread. I'll use two of the end posts back to back at baseboard joints, we changed the colour of the grass on the fence lines. It's very easy to plant once it's all threaded but this fairly short section alongside the colliery branch took ages to thread, I'll have find a quicker way to do it, there's another 12m to go. Pushing the thread through the .5mm holes isn't very easy but preventing it all from turning and tangling up is really difficult.

IMG_2078.jpg.310ad35a5e4e0429a3b39ce7e8b1e6f5.jpg

Also (just arrived) these components for the 33kv cable ducting which runs all along the line with posts at 6ft intervals. I'll do a test with these next to Moorend Lane bridge where the 33kv cable is already in place - it's not ducted along the bridge.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Will that go through a .5mm hole?

Probably not. They're designed for thin slots i.e eyes of needles, not round holes.

On the other hand, if you could find a thin enough needle, you might be able to use that to thread the cotton through the posts.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 14:14, Michael Edge said:

Some progress now with the fencing.

IMG_2076.jpg.ec49ed754646303ed9b897264295bf6f.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg.24f0f9d252a8109db426b14bc63aac49.jpg

Fence posts 3D printed by Innocentman, the wire is grey cotton thread. I'll use two of the end posts back to back at baseboard joints, we changed the colour of the grass on the fence lines. It's very easy to plant once it's all threaded but this fairly short section alongside the colliery branch took ages to thread, I'll have find a quicker way to do it, there's another 12m to go. Pushing the thread through the .5mm holes isn't very easy but preventing it all from turning and tangling up is really difficult.

IMG_2078.jpg.310ad35a5e4e0429a3b39ce7e8b1e6f5.jpg

Also (just arrived) these components for the 33kv cable ducting which runs all along the line with posts at 6ft intervals. I'll do a test with these next to Moorend Lane bridge where the 33kv cable is already in place - it's not ducted along the bridge.

Mike

12m of post and wire! Wow. Is that all of the railway boundary fence? I had assumed it would have been the more traditional all timber fencing.

John 

• RMweb Premium

Almost all the boundary fence is this post and wire, most of it is still in place.

I've threaded another section today, dipping the ends of the threads in paint works better than superglue and I've enlarged the holes to .65mm which makes it much easier. Most of the tangling occurred because I was trying to keep the posts strung out along the threads but this turned out to be completely unnecessary when I was planting it so they are now all together at one end, the loose ends of the threads can't tangle, the trouble happens when they accidentally turn over while handling.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've enlarged the holes to .65mm

For those watching in black-and-white, that's about half-way between a No 71 and a No 72 drill.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5