Hornby P1?

Hi  there all you knowledgable types.

A mystery (to me at least):

A few years   ago I bought from a guy on eBay what he described as a Hornby P1 2-8-2: locomotive number 2394.  He had  two  to sell - one modelled on No. 2394 and the other on  the only other P1 actually built No 2393.

Now, as far as I can tell, Hornby never actually produced a P1 (unless you know better).

It seems to me that this loco has been built from Hornby parts.  The two P1s actually built had the same boiler as the A1 and A3s - but with a 2-8-2 Mikado wheel arrangement and 5'2"  driving  wheels.  If I am  correct,  the job has been nicely done with separate handrails and detailed cab face (in relief).

The main chassis and  tender chassis are marked "Hornby MADE IN GT BRITAIN". The front  bogie is stamped 54426.  It is TENDER DRIVE.

The time has come to sell this loco to make room  for some kits I am finishing off.

But how  to describe it: Hornby /Hornby based/ something else??

Can anybody help?

See pictures.

post-15721-0-98882000-1535722555_thumb.jpg

post-15721-0-63672100-1535722607_thumb.jpg

post-15721-0-35647000-1535722649_thumb.jpg

post-15721-0-20177500-1535722714_thumb.jpg

Looking at the position of the flangeless wheel, and the motion work, I'd suggest that it's a carved up 9F chassis, with an A3 body and rear truck.  Don't quite know what the tender is from!

I'd describe it as a "kit built" representation of an LNER P1, using Hornby parts.

Looking at the position of the flangeless wheel, and the motion work, I'd suggest that it's a carved up 9F chassis, with an A3 body and rear truck.  Don't quite know what the tender is from

The coupled wheelsets, connecting rod and valve gear ( at least) are 9F, but the chassis block and coupling rods are almost certainly 8F (uneven spacing of axles, dire two pivot front truck which I cannot imagine anyone carving around a 9F chassis with a perfectly good single pivot truck arrangement to fit this inferior item) and the tender looks like the LNER GS type that was used with the B17 and D49 tender drive versions. So with the A3 supplying body, cylinders and trailing truck, that's at least a four-way combination of Hornby parts to make this representation.

• Like 1

The coupled wheelsets, connecting rod and valve gear ( at least) are 9F, but the chassis block and coupling rods are almost certainly 8F (uneven spacing of axles, dire two pivot front truck which I cannot imagine anyone carving around a 9F chassis with a perfectly good single pivot truck arrangement to fit this inferior item) and the tender looks like the LNER GS type that was used with the B17 and D49 tender drive versions. So with the A3 supplying body, cylinders and trailing truck, that's at least a four-way combination of Hornby parts to make this representation.

There is an article in the April 1992 Railway Modeller where Hayden Reed builds a P1.

His recipe is Hornby A3 (locomotive drive), an early Triang Princess chassis and a Hornby D49 tender shell.

He says that the Wrenn 8F chassis would work but rejects it on cost grounds.

He uses Hornby Jinty wheels reamed out to fit the Princess axles and cylinders and valve gear from Hornby A3 and A4 respectively.

Front pony truck is from a Hornby 9F, back one from an A3.

//Simon

• Like 1