Bachmann 2018 mid-year update

Andy Y

When is the V2 going to be available? I wish Hornby had ownership of this type class. Bachmann have been hopeless.

Bachmann only announced it in January, that it would be all new tooling, and that it is at the CAD stage.

Expecting it in 10 months is a bit unrealistic, and the recent issue (see Andy Y's pinned post in the Bachmann area) will have caused an unseen delay.  At a guess it is still at least a year away (the easy part given it isn't in their next 12 month schedule), and more likely sometime in 2020.

And for those who didn't experience it, Hornby went through the same delay thing several years ago, with the same reversal of people wishing a model had been with Bachmann...

Bachmann only announced it in January, that it would be all new tooling, and that it is at the CAD stage.

Expecting it in 10 months is a bit unrealistic, and the recent issue (see Andy Y's pinned post in the Bachmann area) will have caused an unseen delay.  At a guess it is still at least a year away (the easy part given it isn't in their next 12 month schedule), and more likely sometime in 2020.

And for those who didn't experience it, Hornby went through the same delay thing several years ago, with the same reversal of people wishing a model had been with Bachmann...

Much longer than this year from memory. Announced at least a year earlier.

They are only doing the body , the chassis is already upgraded. Hopefully they are doing a new body for the Tender and its chassis as well, as its as ancient and bad as the V2 Loco body.

Thought they were doing a J39 make over as well ,thats seems to have simply disappeared ?.

Much longer than this year from memory. Announced at least a year earlier.

Announced January 2018, see Andy Y's post - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-Bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/?hl=%2B2018+%2Bannounce&do=findComment&comment=2989866

Probably worth pointing out it is called Bachmann's 2018/2019 program.

They are only doing the body , the chassis is already upgraded. Hopefully they are doing a new body for the Tender and its chassis as well, as its as ancient and bad as the V2 Loco body.

From Bachmann's website:

The V2 class 2-6-2 is another long-lived model in our range that will benefit from this upgrade strategy. A completely new locomotive and tender tooling is being produced, together with an upgraded chassis to incorporate the latest DCC innovations.

Statement can be found at https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product-category/Bachmann-branchline/locomotives/

Thought they were doing a J39 make over as well ,thats seems to have simply disappeared ?.

Also from the January announcement, the J39 is getting a DCC chassis upgrade but that isn't yet at the CAD stage.

The V2 was annouced at least a couple of years ago as a new body for the previous upgraded chassis, the announcement this year is a  renouncement that it it will be all new including the tender.

Announced January 2018, see Andy Y's post - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-Bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/?hl=%2B2018+%2Bannounce&do=findComment&comment=2989866

Probably worth pointing out it is called Bachmann's 2018/2019 program.

From Bachmann's website:

Statement can be found at https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product-category/Bachmann-branchline/locomotives/

Also from the January announcement, the J39 is getting a DCC chassis upgrade but that isn't yet at the CAD stage.

As said earlier the V2 is listed in Black type, which means a previous announcement had already made. The new ones are in Red for this year.

Ta for the info link as I have never seen that list before.

Edited by micklner

As said earlier the V2 is listed in Black type, which means a previous announcement had already made. The new ones are in Red for this year.

Ta for the info link as I have never seen that list before.

Actually false, they cancelled the original V2 upgrade announcement last year and this year have announced them getting the same treatment as the J72s, so it's getting a lot more than just a chassis upgrade, such as variations of the steam pipes from across their years of working.

I have had mine on pre-order with Rails for £141 for ages.

By time it comes out it will probably be £500, allowing for inflation.

I am not impressed, whatever their excuses.

I bought the the previous incarnation, which needed redoing, but this seems to be going on forever.

There are plenty of Hornby locos to buy instead.

Edited by STRAT'71

For what it’s worth, I have been cornered by family into deciding which is my favourite locomotive. It’s not easy because so many are special in one way or another. Currently it is Bachmann’s Jubilee Nelson. A very elegant design done to the latest standards in a superb rendering of LMS red. However, for sheer elegance, the V2 beats the Jubilee and I expect that when Bachmann’s new model emerges in LNER livery, It will knock Nelson off its perch. Delay or not, I’m glad Bachmann is doing it. Controversially, I prefer Bachmann’s approach to trailing trucks and Hornby of late always seems to come up with some little shortcoming or other. Perhaps it would help to take up meditation whilst I wait.

Could this have something to do with it? 

All purely personal opinion.

Thanks - strange how they have brought out 1960's/70's lineside workers in N, but not in OO - a pack I would instantly buy, given the short orange bib HiVi's. Almost all the other packs are in both scales. Hope they add the OO version soon.

Thanks - strange how they have brought out 1960's/70's lineside workers in N, but not in OO - a pack I would instantly buy, given the short orange bib HiVi's. Almost all the other packs are in both scales. Hope they add the OO version soon.

The oo version of the lineside workers is being released with this batch of items -36-421. It was on the Rails list a couple of days ago, so they may have sold out. Model Railways Direct and Gaugemaster are both showing them as 'in stock', other retailers look like they will receive this Bachmann surge of releases this week.

Edited by rembrow

The oo version of the lineside workers is being released with this batch of items -36-421. It was on the Rails list a couple of days ago, so they may have sold out. Model Railways Direct and Gaugemaster are both showing them as 'in stock', other retailers look like they will receive this Bachmann surge of releases this week.

Many thanks - I looked at Bachmann UK's own site and they are not even listed there, but I see them now on Gaugemaster's. Odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of new releases, I just bought a WD austerity 2-8-0 made in 2000 and it looks and runs very well.

post-7929-0-71363500-1542313438.jpg

I think the Stanier 2-6-0 beats it in fine detail perhaps, but it certainly was a step forward when introduced in 1999.