The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Burning question of the day?

great central

And also when does a boat become a ship?

OK, I've heard an answer that can narrow this down a little.

According to Saga Norén, (County Police, Malmö from the TV series 'The Bridge'), she corrected her boss in series 2 who enquired about the boat that hit the bridge. She said it was a ship, as it was 12m long and 4m wide.

Now,if you really really really want to know at what point a boat becomes a ship, then give Saga a call, I've got more important things to do, like read the rest of the forum posts before hitting the bed.

A piece of string is represented by a specific length related to the particular piece of string, but the confusion comes with not specifiying a particular piece but try to provide a general argument to cover any length of string without knowing the parameters involved in the calculation of it’s length.

A general rule is that it is nearly always too short or too long, although with too long it may be shortened quite easily, resolved with scissors or a negative value equal to the excess length of string. Knotting in extra string tends towards confusion, as the string in the knot is not easy to calculate.

The formula X=L, where L equals length seems the most useful..................Why is Crossrail so delayed?

• RMweb Gold

My dog wakes me up at 7 o'clock (give or take 5 minutes) every morning, how does she know what the time is?   

One of our cats usuallyappears for his supper at exactly the right time. I've got no idea how he knows what time it is. He even appeared at the right time the day after the clocks changed...

Do the marketing people really think we won't notice when the pack gets smaller but the price goes up?

My dog wakes me up at 7 o'clock (give or take 5 minutes) every morning, how does she know what the time is?... 

One of our cats usually appears for his supper at exactly the right time. I've got no idea how he knows what time it is. He even appeared at the right time the day after the clocks changed...

The scientific approach insists that this may be what you observe, but a little more testing is required. The animal doesn't tell time as we do, and can achieve the above effects by simply wandering into the perception zone of the observer evey ten minutes or thereabouts. Eventually this synchronises with the observer regaining conciousness or assuming the handing out food position.

...Do the marketing people really think we won't notice when the pack gets smaller but the price goes up?

Or likewise that we won't notice when size and price stays the same, but the quality of the contents is degraded?

Marketing don't much care one way or the other. That both these approaches are in regular use tells me that sufficient customers don't notice or alternatively don't care, for them to be viable techniques, and that's satisfactory enough.

(Conversely, you can spot the good stuff from those that care about their product by maintained quality and modest occasional price increases.)

What is it about 'one basket only' that some shopping trolley users cannot understand?

• RMweb Gold

What was his idea or have I missed TIJ2?

According to Michael Caine, it was to switch on the engine and wait for the fuel to run out, thus reducing the weight at the back enough to improve the balance. Apparently the mafia would then get the gold, and the sequel would be Croker's gang trying to get it back again...

• RMweb Gold

What is greater, a half of a quarter.

or, a quarter of a half?

Little John eats 50% of a box of sweets,

Big Jim eats another 90%.

What has Big Jim got? Correct, a smack on the nose....

James is taking home 15 cooking apples.

Jenny is taking 87.25%apples more. What has Jenny got?

Big pockets....

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

According to Michael Caine, it was to switch on the engine and wait for the fuel to run out, thus reducing the weight at the back enough to improve the balance. Apparently the mafia would then get the gold, and the sequel would be Croker's gang trying to get it back again...

Bedford VAL - fuel tank in middle !

Is a female gladiator, a gladioli?

"They threw a tomato at my old mate Jim,

He said that it hurt, it came in a tin".

A gladioli is a group of gladiators

" To market, to market with my brother Jim,

When somebody threw a tomato at him,

"Tomatoes are soft", I can hear you all sing,

But this one were hard 'cos it came in a tin"

Oldham Tinkers, about 1976

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why did/do the 3/4 Musketeers fight with Swords ? ?

Not very tall, those 3/4 Musketeers. Being 3/4 size, they must have carried step ladders....

The story goes that they couldn't reach the horse stirrups, so they stole the Kings shopping trolley. The smaller one rode in the kiddies seat.

"All for one! And one for all! Who's got the token?"

Meanwhile, on a hill just outside Hastings.. " You stay careful with that bow & arrow young man! You'll have someone's eye out!"

Happy Friday, everyone!

Ian.