Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I did examine the sample coach, the livery is well executed and chassis has beam compensation. Delivery of first batch apparently expected May, being made in China. The class 66 EP was very impressive.

A J94 was announced and Tower had a new batch of steam era Conflats with containers. 

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Dava said:

I did examine the sample coach, the livery is well executed and chassis has beam compensation. Delivery of first batch apparently expected May, being made in China. The class 66 EP was very impressive.

A J94 was announced and Tower had a new batch of steam era Conflats with containers. 

Dava

Did you get any images of the 66?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did manage to have word at brake down and I was told their are in production and will be available shortly. Not overly helpfull but for me its no longer an issue as I don't have a layout to run them on.

Marc

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Richard mentioned these were in production at the time of the show. They are being painted out in China as the mahogany livery is very complex. Once those are out, the tooling will come to Chirk and the rest will be completely made there. Looking forward to them. Cheers, Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Rails advert still shows the unpainted EPs not the mahogany finish coaches.

Its been a long wait and over £100 per coach, Dapol ain’t cheap anymore. 

Dava

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dava said:

The Rails advert still shows the unpainted EPs not the mahogany finish coaches.

Its been a long wait and over £100 per coach,

Compared to what though? Ellis Clark bogie coaches are £230, Dapol mk1’s around £200. 

Slaters GWR 4 Wheeled 3rd-Class Coach  kit £86.50.

6 hours ago, Dava said:

Dapol ain’t cheap anymore. 

Dava

Dapol have been selling the brake vans with simpler detail and paint for £70-75 for the last few years so is £30 - 40

for a larger moulding, more paint processes and a few years inflation that unreasonable?

That Slaters kit of a similar prototype would be at least £200 - £300 from a professional builder and a good mahogany paint job would push that up more. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Tower models have updated their listing:-

Dapol announced the production of the Stroudley 4 wheel coaches back in the beginning of 2019 and we have finally had some details of this project which is being produced here in the UK and should hopefuly be released hopefully in 2023.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Compared to what though? Ellis Clark bogie coaches are £230, Dapol mk1’s around £200. 

Slaters GWR 4 Wheeled 3rd-Class Coach  kit £86.50.

Dapol have been selling the brake vans with simpler detail and paint for £70-75 for the last few years so is £30 - 40

for a larger moulding, more paint processes and a few years inflation that unreasonable?

That Slaters kit of a similar prototype would be at least £200 - £300 from a professional builder and a good mahogany paint job would push that up more. 

It’s an observation. They are probably very good models if you want around 3 of them. My modelling interests have changed in the several years since they were announced and I won’t be preordering . I may pick up one or two later. We can all understand the cost pressures on manufacturers, they affect us as buyers too.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

15 hours ago, Dava said:

We can all understand the cost pressures on manufacturers, they affect us as buyers too

And also the middle men/(gender neutral) retailers!

Dapols recent increase, which was supposedly only applicable to new orders, has been implemented immediately by the box shifters on existing stock. You can get cheaper shopping around - I got a prairie from Antics at the old price this week.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2022 at 20:10, MarcD said:

I'm not over sure about the finish. Looks like a child has been at it with a paint brush.

Marc

The wood grain pattern isn't fine enough for 7mm scale. If you take a look at photos of varnished teak or varnished mahogany railway carriages the grain is nowhere near as pronounced - partly because hardwoods like that are usually quartersawn and not backsawn as depicted on that sample carriage.

In short: the grain pattern needs to be much more subtle.

In any case, I am not after this livery (as lovely as it is) but would be after one of the painted liveries or even just unpainted, undecorated so I can unleash my airbrush on it!

Edited by hartleymartin