Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

GOG curve standards used to recommend a minimum of 6ft for branchlines and 4ft for industrial lines, because of this very issue. I have used Peco set track on my industrial layout and I have had a heap of issues even with short 4 wheel wagons and locos.

Marc 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MarcD said:

GOG curve standards used to recommend a minimum of 6ft for branchlines and 4ft for industrial lines, because of this very issue. I have used Peco set track on my industrial layout and I have had a heap of issues even with short 4 wheel wagons and locos.

Marc 

I don't know what the current G0G recommendation is, but the 1993 Standard recommended 48" for branch lines. MOROP in NEM11 recommend 960mm. Both of which are academic to me, because I use single link couplings and have had no problems at all on ETS 627mm points with anything remotely suitable. I have been running 4-wheel coaches foe several years without a problem.

The issues with the Stroudley coaches are caused by the length of the buffers. They are in compression when coupled, even on a straight. So Setrack points might prove to be a problem, for example in a passing loop situation.

I wouldn't like to put anybody off getting them though, they do look really good behind a Terrier.

Michael

Do they run okay through standard Peco reverse curves? If the buffers are in compression even when coupled on a straight that sounds like a recipe for ongoing problems with buffer locking on any "normal" O gauge curvature.

Even with the mainline stock with buffers you do get coupling shafts, two different lengths. I assume the shorter one fits the suburban bufferless stock so maybe the longer one will do the buffered version. There's also a cable link which won't be wanted until the electrically lit versions come out.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2023 at 09:59, MarcD said:

Is this a problem with design or the diameter of the curve.

Marc

Mostly the S curve not the curvature itself. The Peco set track is far tighter than GOG recommended passenger radii so I’m not surprised you get buffer locking on this long stock. Designing it to run on such sharp reverse curves of 3’ 4” would mean compromising the buffers with bars between them or similar. If you want to use the set track you need to put a straight between the curves so you ease the swing. Reverse curves aren’t good in many scales even with long tension lock couplings that prevent buffer lock. 

I added a short straight into my points to avoid it with long wheelbase Heljan wagons and I’d reduced the curved track too. 

7A9C2340-8CAD-4B04-803D-01700EA828BA.jpeg.419080cb3830760a7567a28c1af78ff0.jpeg

7C6A72DE-656B-440E-AD53-9072B2F4A7FE.jpeg.e0ee3c468d722773d517eb701ff5ab6a.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have used set track on my industrial layout and I wouldn't used them again for even another industrial as they cause buffer lock on anything longer than a 16ft LOH with a 9ft WB. 

Marc

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MarcD said:

I have used set track on my industrial layout and I wouldn't used them again for even another industrial as they cause buffer lock on anything longer than a 16ft LOH with a 9ft WB. 

Marc

Marc, is that with reverse curves or transition from straight to curve? 

Both. I have a crossover and a curve with a flat transition. I can get a terrier to run through both but I can only push stock if the loco is chimney first. Bunker first is a recipe for disaster.

Marc

• Informative/Useful 1

Just to be clear, as the image above shows, there is ample contact between the buffers on Mainline Coaches when running through Peco Setrack points and reverse curves so buffer lock should not be a problem between these coaches. However there may be a problem when they are coupled to a locomotive or other stock with long over-hangs. The simple solution is to permanently lock the buffers in a partially retracted position, they have a habit of doing this anyway. Dapol do supply an alternative draw-bar to permanently close couple these coaches which works at the transition between straights and Setrack curves but causes derailments on transition curves. There should be no problem at all with Peco Streamline points.

The Suburban Coaches are permanently close couples with a draw-bar, but I have no idea how these perform on Peco Setrack.

Yes it is correct. Bear in mind there were no internal dividers in 3rd class 4 wheelers. The suburban brake only has one light for all three 'compartments'. I believe when they switched to gas lighting , they switched to 3 lights, one for each bank of seats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

Yes it is correct. Bear in mind there were no internal dividers in 3rd class 4 wheelers. The suburban brake only has one light for all three 'compartments'. 

I believe that is what this photo, which Dapol have used in their publicity material. shows:

image.png.c3ef3963ed691a3304842cc658bf7744.png

It also suggests that Dapol's oil lamp shrouds are a bit on the weedy side, but maybe the design changed. This is obviously quite an early photo, pre c. 1890, since the train is hand brake only, so maybe the design of the lamp shroud changed down the years?

22 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

Yes it is correct. Bear in mind there were no internal dividers in 3rd class 4 wheelers. The suburban brake only has one light for all three 'compartments'. I believe when they switched to gas lighting , they switched to 3 lights, one for each bank of seats.

I agree that the number of lights is correct, but I believe that the placement is incorrect. According to D45 the lights in a Mainline Brake/3rd should be positioned above the seat backrests where the partition would be. Later oil lit thirds had partitions with holes cut in them for the lights.

See Figure 6.12, page 163, LB&SCR Carriages, Volume 1, by White, Turner and Foulkes.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Keith J said:

I've just noticed that the brake coaches have spoked wheels whilst other coaches have solid wheels, does anyone know the reason for this? Thanks.

As built, the brake coaches were the only ones with brakes... So I wonder if there was doubt about the strength of Mansell* wheels, especially as the brakes were not the later clasp type, applying equal force either side of the axle, but single blocks that would exert a sideways force on the wheel, axle, bearing, axlebox, and axleguard.

*Richard Mansell, SER Carriage & Wagon Superintendent and later Works Manager, briefly Locomotive Superintendent, retiring in 1882; he first patented the composite hardwood and iron wheel in 1848. Not to be confused with Richard Maunsell, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the SE&CR and SR, 1913-1937, though the Dapol website manages to use his surname in place of that of his predecessor.

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if it could be something to do with the fact that originally it was only the brake coaches that were fitted with brakes. My initial thinking was around cooling in that spoked wheels would cool quicker if the brakes overheated but I then thought with the speeds involved and the materials that the brakes were made of back then would they really get that hot? Your explanation seems far more plausible.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The Southern ones are what I want, anyone know the status of the sample model shown on released pictures.  The lining looks rather poor being a broad  cream line rather than the narrow yellow/cream alongside a  wider  black as  expected.  Is this  just a work in progress sample  or is  this  the  actual  lining  to  be  released?  The  actual  lining  positions  look  good  for  early  SR,  later  the  lower  panel  lining  and  that  around the  quarterlights  was  omitted  on  many  vehicles  however  the  last  of  these  Stroudleys  went  in  1932  hence  likely  still in  the  earlier  variation.  Cant  really  judge  the  green  but  it  should  be  the  early  lighter  shade  of  the  Maunsell  Green. 

I  do  have  access  to  parts  of  the  body  of  one  of  these  actual  vehicles  in  SR  livery,  some  paintwork  is  still  visible.

Pete 

• Informative/Useful 1