Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium

I keep looking at this photo, and many others. We don't have many of that era that are side on. I think some of the lines are actually track in the glossy reflection of the varnish, certainly the lowest two lines below the garter. Certainly figured in the panels between the left side compartments. I just hope it isn't tallow patterning like they do on the locos! We will never really know but I am looking forward to a few of these behind my LBSCR locos and am trying to get Craven era carriages finished in the next few months also. This is Dave Studley's interpretation of a 4mm Roxey Stroudley 6 wheel 1st for Nicholas Pryor. I think this is lovely!56191612_LBSCStroudley6wheelFirstvarnish2601.JPG.f215f365b7b9ee1937303c63998979f4.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some good close-ups of the appearance of the Dapol coaches can be seen in the latest LB&SCR digest (p177 ff), which can be downloaded here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/94948-lbscr-modellers-digest/?do=findComment&comment=5024083

Edited by Mikkel
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wgura said:

Hi

Which manufacturer has the right figures for these wagons?

Can you explain further the info you want please? If it is the numbers carried in the garter of Stroudley vehicles, the registers are in Vol 1 of the LB&SCR Carriage book by White, Turner, Foulkes. Dapol have used these.

Edited by ianmaccormac

Hi

Since these wagons were built around 1870, the passengers wore different clothes than we do today. Since I want to buy such wagons from Dapol, I would also like to put the correctly dressed passengers in the wagons. So my question is: Are there already producers in 0 gauge who sell such figures?

best regards
Werner from Austia

• RMweb Gold

Two of the best options:

Andrew Stadden's excellent figures:

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/shop-4

Model U:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/town-and-country/1870-1922-pre-grouping/seated-passengers/

The latter are so far more Edwardian though, except for the lady with the bustle.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Received a Mainline Composite and a Brake Third this morning courtesy of the good folk at Tower Models. My initial impression is that these coaches are superb, although the First Class passengers might be less than impressed with the bench seats.

For anybody interested in the potential of using these coaches on tight curves, I can confirm that, out of the box, they can be pulled around a 627mm radius oval. They cannot be pushed around the same oval because the transition from straight to curved track causes buffer lock. They cannot be pulled through reverse curves again because of buffer lock. The alternative draw-bar is too short to overcome this problem, but the couplings are easily accessible so replacing them is not going to be a problem.

* After a more critical look, I suspect there is going to be some disappointment in the lack of interior detail, especially in the bare Guards Compartment.

Edited by goldfish
Added comment
  • Like 1

Having had time to further test this pair of Mainline Coaches, I can confirm that, out of the box, they can be pulled around a 2ft radius oval, but buffer lock obviously precludes any reversing or reverse curves.

With 900mm radius curves it is possible to run backwards and forwards around an oval without problem. However, it is not possible run through 900mm reverse curves without buffer lock.

I do not have access to any larger curves, the Dapol publicity video shows these coaches being pulled around an oval of Peco Setrack. Hopefully this is not the limit of their testing faculties and they have fully tested them through Setrack reverse curves.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hal Nail said:

you what?!

You know that other bit, the bit between opening the box and putting something on the track.

Involves paint and glue and various other bits and bobs :) I sometimes forget what it is too..

I have found a possible explanation for the buffer lock I reported above on 900mm reverse curves. There is insufficient clearance for the buffers to retract freely, as a result the stem of the buffer bears against the chassis. In some cases this leads to visible slight bending of the stem. As a result the buffers extend at different rates allowing the buffer heads to interlock. This seems to be getting worse over time, possibly as a result of the buffer stems becoming distorted.

Having lived with these coaches for a few days I have to say that I am a little under-whelmed, worth the price, but too many minor niggles. I certainly wouldn't be tempted to buy any more.

Rather predictably the niggles started on arrival. Both coaches needed the wheels extracting from the brake gear and refitting in the bearings. Perhaps Dapol should label the packaging "Some Assembly Required."

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MarcD said:

Is this a problem with design or the diameter of the curve.

Marc

It is a bit of both, the interference is caused by the design, the curves increase the amount of buffer retracted which increases the problem. It could an isolated problem because the buffer housing is part of the body and the bit of chassis the buffer bears against is a separate removable item. So it might be cured by removing the chassis and refitting it. I doubt that it will cause a problem on larger radius curves.

Michael