Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Gold

So, what was wrong with the trains on our Santa layout? Both locos properly renumbered and renamed, and new shed plates added. Brake van and guard's compartment as appropriate. :onthequiet:

I can only assume that some people might have been expecting to also see something like "Fröhliche Weinachten!" painted on the sides of the trains.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

There speaks someone who has never taken a film crew out before. The BRM guys can fill a people-mover with equipment just for a DVD shoot! We once had to explain how all the gubbins was going in the guard's compartment as it would have filled the loco footplate we were filming on. "You can bring one camera and that is ALL"....

Wouldn't the idea result in three identical looking layouts? The current format means you get 3 very different interpretations of the theme, which looks better on TV. 

Phil,  Sorry but you can achieve good coverage with a smaller crew. You do not always need a massive crew and equipment. Having been involved in covering both events using a single camera to multiple numbers - both for pre-record and live situations - you can achieve very good content.

You can let a Producer / Director run away with a Wish / Need List, it is all a question of setting out the parameters - and in some cases looking at the cost.  In addition some modern equipment is fairly indiscreet, compared to TV Studio dolly cams which you see on the likes of the BBC News.

Phil,  Sorry but you can achieve good coverage with a smaller crew. You do not always need a massive crew and equipment. Having been involved in covering both events using a single camera to multiple numbers - both for pre-record and live situations - you can achieve very good content.

You can let a Producer / Director run away with a Wish / Need List, it is all a question of setting out the parameters - and in some cases looking at the cost.  In addition some modern equipment is fairly indiscreet, compared to TV Studio dolly cams which you see on the likes of the BBC News.

When Phil and I do any footage we have two presenters/interviewers, two cameramen, two sound bods, one or two directors, someone to go and get the chips/cakes etc. It's the least we can get away with.

• Like 1

When Phil and I do any footage we have two presenters/interviewers, two cameramen, two sound bods, one or two directors, someone to go and get the chips/cakes etc. It's the least we can get away with.

Particularly the last one on the list.

• Administrators

My point is that any time you stick a cameraman in a car, it costs money. Even if you didn't take a presenter, the chance are you have a crew of at least 2. They will then spend a day shooting followed by another day of editing the footage.

People forget just how many are involved in broadcast TV. Even the weather person on location will have a crew of three the other side of the camera. My understanding is that this show had a very tight budget - that's not conducive with dispatching crews to film all over the country as some have requested. Maybe by series 4 there will be an Amazons size budget!

Their layout had a very unfortunate computer crash at the start of judging and nothing ran for most of the judging period.  The most important criteria that we have is that the layouts must run.  It's a shame as it was a lovely layout otherwise.

Kathy

Kathy good to see you writing on the site, enjoying (like many others) the show very much.

Being in the stone age with a DC set up I am constantly reminded how easy DCC is to use, but from what I can see that's only true when its working and not frying decoders. My club has an 0 gauge layout which is DC & DCC compatible, I think for the moment I will be on the fence where DCC is concerned. As they say its not a working railway if it fails to run. Keep it simple should be the watch word

• RMweb Gold

The rest of the nation put their clocks back one hour at the weekend, so for everybody else the programme will continue to be screened at 8pm!

Oops Yep.. i let my daughter stay up late to watch it.. 9pm is bedtime ! - as an 8 year old shes hooked on this series.

I recently gave her an old Lima 20, an old Dapol 2-6-0 and a mainline 03 to paint, and all the bits.. shes painted them all, somewhat fuddled, but she built the 03 from its bits, including quartering the wheels and fitting Brushes and Springs to the motor.

Plan is to bring the family to Warley to see the winning layouts this year as she complained I didn’t bring her last year.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

If there is a second series I reckon there should be no permission for pre-built items. Apart from Laurie Calvert (who planned to use foam ballast and a flat scene)  there seems to have been no thought given by any of the teams about how to conceive a project that can be completed in the available time. And Laurie fell down (IMHO) by not having pre-schooled his team members in the required skills. Also, for example the idea of building several van kits during the competition seems ridiculous to me - why not just spray paint some ready-made vans.

If everything had to be done within the limited competition time it should focus minds - as well as removing scope for controversy.

...R

I will have to find a way of displaying my Gantt chart which covers about eight sheets of A4 with the project plan of how all the resources of the team members were allocated to achieve the complete result in the time. I can assure you that many if not most of the teams had a good idea of what was achievable and whether their techniques were good.

It is unreasonable to expect non-standard items like the animations to be achieved to a good standard in the time (although the man with pneumatic drill on Walford was an off the cuff idea that worked). Creating scratch built structures to a high standard to fit the theme (such as the Walford Towers tower block) are not going to be done in the time either - a few key signature items make all the difference between a nice layout and 'Metcalfeville' (not knocking the superb Metcalfe range here, just saying that a bit of variety makes a bit of difference).

Given how long it took most teams to lay the track to a good standard there is probably no reason to pre-lay the track, that does not save a lot of time and will make things look a bit more even handed.

Clear rules before you start  with a clear (ideally points based) scoring system, and transparent application of the rules with score sheets, is all that is required to remove controversy. Perhaps a third judge with a different speciality (not a celebrity) might help. Keep the pre-builds - they allow the individual modeller to shine in a way that they might not be seen as in anyway competent otherwise.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the show (as did the wife) and thought the best team won, the Strangers layout at least appeared finished and they did the best modelling during the 3 days, the trains looked appropriate too

I thought it a shame that the Missenden team did not come up with some more imaginative animations relating the the Lady Killers film - a signal knocking someone into a wagon and someone falling off the roof of the house with the chimney

There seems to be talk of having celebrities on the show but I liked the team of judges/presenters they had, it's worth remembering that Paul Hollywood had only appeared on TV once or twice before he started presenting TGBBO

As one of the Missenden team I can say actually we thought about exactly that - both examples you cite - and prototyped mechanisms for how to, but they had to be sacrificed as we ran out of time. We did have at least twelve cameos though, and scenes from three films.

• Like 5

Kathy good to see you writing on the site, enjoying (like many others) the show very much.

Being in the stone age with a DC set up I am constantly reminded how easy DCC is to use, but from what I can see that's only true when its working and not frying decoders. My club has an 0 gauge layout which is DC & DCC compatible, I think for the moment I will be on the fence where DCC is concerned. As they say its not a working railway if it fails to run. Keep it simple should be the watch word

My biggest takeaway would be to use the 4-track DC controller- ditch any idea of showing off your collection of sound fitted engines- the judges have seen it all before. Instead minimise the opportunities for things to go wrong by getting the track down, wire in a few wiring breaks and get trains moving. The editing will mask out any good ideas you have about synching sound, smoke and movements, as long as something goes around in circles you’re in with a chance.

• Like 1

The rest of the nation put their clocks back one hour at the weekend, so for everybody else the programme will continue to be screened at 8pm!

Though I normally do watch it at 9pm (on 5+1) as I'm usually out until then on a Friday evening.

• Like 1

No, as posted earlier in the thread, the Peco stand will have the Basingstoke layout, the winner will be on the Bachmann stand:

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/10/Bachmann-products-as-seen-on-screen/

So Basingstoke didn't win then Phil? Or maybe they did and they have their Heat layout on one stand, and their final layout on the other? ;-) 

On another note as one of the competing teams, one thing that is not very clear on TV is the level or pre-building (or not) that went on. There were huge differences, representing a massive differential in hours. This happened in Heat 4 (so I'm told). This was not properly taken into account in the judging I feel. The rules will have to be locked down much more clearly if it ever happens again. Or no pre-builds allowed. That would sort the men out from the boys. 

I was at a show in Whitstable, Kent over the weekend, with some of the items rescued from our Team Steampunk model (layout was taken down an hour after filming). People were really pleased to see us, the show is getting a very positive reaction in the main from those who spoke to me with sentiments echoed on this thread, and the kids loved meeting a real 'TV star' - T-Rex not me lol. 

Edited by LocoLaurie
  • Like 3

Bachmann take very little advertising as they deliberately don't have their own retail channel. Hornby has advertised in the past, but it's terrifically expensive to grab TV airtime. You not only have to pay for the slot, but you also have to produce an advert to the very strict standards required by the TV company.

Hornby must have paid a fortune to show the campaign where that lad is phoning round looking for a Signal Box.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

As Kathy has pointed out our layout came together pretty well and from the footage with the camera truck and even the testing you’ll see our trains running fine. Right on judging when the cameras were on and Tim said start your engines the laptop crashed and I’m stood at the front not able to move a thing! The clever editing shows Marcus tapping away to reboot and then 3 of us looking at a handset but not easy to spot what went on the day. The lorry crash just made for great telly! It was really funny when it happened.

PS Kathy good to see you on here too

Cheers

Mark

• Like 5

Hornby must have paid a fortune to show the campaign where that lad is phoning round looking for a Signal Box.

That was Yellow Pages though.

Hornby did have TV adverts fronted by Bernard Cribbins. I doubt he was cheap at the time.

He even did a record that you got with the train sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVckWHhyyk

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Quick couple of points in response to things.

In terms of there supposedly being a mish-mash of stock on layouts, we were encouraged to bring our own stock to use on the layouts, and thus these weren't included in our budgets or pre-build items. 'Go Forth' certainly featured authentic stock, with three locos (the O4, J15, and Q6) all put into ROD livery. Add to this the Bachmann Ambulance Train with Khaki City Class, WD Grey C Class, as well as the 009 Baldwin and stock, I think we had a very authentic looking layout in terms of stock! 

43878134_10155491504380764_8273555189168

43879600_10155491504655764_9048814580146

As for the final, all five heat winners are required to build a new layout, so there will still be emphasis on the builds! Going into it, we had also assumed that the final would potentially be improving upon your heat layout, but we of course later found out this wasn't the case! 

I was with Captain Callum yesterday exhibiting Amiens 1918 at Taunton Rail Ex, and there was lots of chat about the show! Most who we spoke to had enjoyed the show, but there were one or two who I had polite disagreements with about it! Callum said that the day before, he and other Callum had a photo with a young fan of the show! Safe to say that the programme seems to be doing its job. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

If only he had known that all he needed was a cola bottle, a washing up brush and a copy of the yellow pages he could have made his own...

Andy