New (to me) eBay Scam

ian

• RMweb Gold

I received an email today, in German, which roughly translated as "I'm trying to buy this item that you have listed on eBay but am getting a message that you don't post to my country. Can you help me?"

The helpful link provided takes you to an eBay login screen BUT it is just a copy on someone else's server. Type your username and password in that and you will be well stuffed.

Edited by ian

If it was sent through the ebay messaging system then I wouldn't think it will link to a non-ebay server.

It won't have passed through/originated from a genuine eBay server.  Most of these scams operate like a lottery in that they will target literally any email address that the scammers happen to have in their possession.  Whether, as in this case, the recipient happens to hold an eBay account or not is immaterial, as with a household brand such as eBay there will be a higher than significant percentage of recipients that do own an account and thus be potential prey - and they only need to catch a tiny percentage of those that do in order to achieve their aims.  I've lost count of similar scam emails I've received from supposed banks that I do not and never have banked with, but of course there's always the odd one posing as my actual bank, and that's when there is the potential to be caught unawares. 

Edited by YesTor

It won't have passed through/originated from a genuine eBay server.

In that case, the OP may well have given their email address to a dodgy company.

The scam like this has been around for years. PayPal was the usual suspect about 10 years ago.

The easiest way to see where you're going is:

> Log in to the ebay website by typing in the address. If the email came from them, it should be in your messages.

> Hover over the link and look at the status bar (bottom left) to see where the link is going. Remember ebay-payments.com isn't ebay.com. payHSBC.co.uk isn't HSBC.co.uk.

It's nothing innovative really.

• Like 1

I'd question how they got your email address.

That's an interesting question, and as someone else has said, it's a lottery as the spammers will chuck out 1,000s of emails in the hope that (a) some are legitimate and (b) someone will respond.

However, the spammers are very clever. Recently I had an email from a business colleague which he clearly didn't send. I called him and he said I was the second person that day to advise him that people are receiving emails from him (correct name and domain).

3 weeks ago my secretary 'sent' me an email with an invoice attachment! She sits opposite me and there was no record of sending this in her outbox. Then a few days later, wait for it, 'I' apparently sent myself an email with an invoice attachment. Everything looked genuine in the 'From' header, it was my correct name and my domain (our private business domain, not gmail, or hotmail).

So the lesson really is, be very very suspicious, the spammers are getting better (no longer dodgy spellings or grammar, the old give-aways). I find a quick phone call to the real sender can help (assuming you know the sender).

If there is a link, hover your cursor (DO NOT CLICK, just hover) over the link and look at the bottom left corner of your browser (Firefox and I think IE too, not sure about Chrome or Safari). Bottom left it will show you the real address you will visit if you click, and I bet you it's not your bank!

Edited by Damo666
  • Like 1

I keep getting one about about my tv licence. Saying my DD didn't go through correctly.

Only give away was my licence number on the email is wrong.

Looks genuine and all fonted correctly.

Deffo getting clever over the years