Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On shed part 4 Eastern Region North

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived today.

To the same standard as the previous editions contents wise but this time the photos seem a lot sharper. I know there were some comments about the photos in past editions.

I am sure there will be some people who would like more of this, less of that and why wasn't my favorite included. I think for the price the amount of information is worth every penny.           

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've looked in WH Smith's at the 'White Rose' centre, Leeds, where I bought the last edition but no sign of it, nor in the York store so I've also ordered direct from the publisher, quick, simple, no extra postage charge and should arrive in a few days time. You could waste a lot of time and petrol hunting it down ....and I hate shopping centres with a passion.

Looking forward to reading about my local shed, Holbeck and hopefully Bradford's Hammerton St. ....photos of 08 503 and 03 060 would be the icing on the cake for me, personally !

• Like 1

A very good issue, well worth the £7.99 (free P/P) - mine came yesterday, I've given up with WH Smiths (Wigan).

This issue brings back many memories for me, bunking West Riding sheds back in 1966 - 70, the end of steam and conversion to diesel, the general era of this book.

Holbeck was always a favourite, and this issue has a wonderful track plan over 2 pages (late steam era). Not daring to go in via the main entrance where the diesel depot and offices are I walked round the back and climbed over the low wall / concrete fence in this photo, did the yard & two steam roundhouses and gave the diesel depot a miss - back over the fence & off to Normanton !!!

6700626709_9b7930e991_b.jpg

Later on they repaired the fence making entry harder - but I had finished shed bashing by this time !!

9026374635_b2de77e483_b.jpg

Anyway -  Lots of superb photos in this issue, and there is also coverage of steam sheds that had a small diesel roster, like Staveley (GC), Langwith Jcn and Royston. amongst others.

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the 2 photos Brit15.

The lower of the 2 is definately from my era and I would suspect that 08 503 is probably one of the shunter trio on the left with the light grey roofs and red, numbered buffer beams.....which will be the subject modelled when the later bodied version in 'O' gauge comes out from Dapol for me.

I remember a good few tentative walks down a rather dodgy looking Sweet St. West to climb that wall, never had any bother down there ...but you never quite knew, especially with the travellers camped just through the other side under the rail bridge. It might be a good time for me to go through my old slides and see what I actually took in those days.

Just need the Postman to come now tomorrow aft, just in time for me getting up, which will cheer me up after F, S, S nights !

Thanks for the memories.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Postman came earlier than usual so not quite 3hrs of sleep ....but a whole afternoon pouring over this edition; great photos, interesting and informative information, great snippets of what was on shed at various points in time and a plethora of trackplans ....overall excellent product (in my opinion) and brought back some wonderful memories.

As mentioned I also like to support the high street shops, particularly WH Smiths, but I will probably just go straight to the publishers for the remaining editions unless I happen to be passing the White Rose or am in town, if only to save on petrol (20 mile round trip)....well, this is Yorkshire !

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On page 50 of this issue, there is an account of Holbeck which does not seem quite complete or end properly, or am I having a senior moment? Is there a missing paragraph ?

I spotted that along with the omission of saying York shed was incorporated into the NRM despite showing a picture of 3 class 20s inside the present museum.

Still enjoyed the read though.

Paul

• Thanks 1

My local WH Smiths has re-stocked after selling out and plenty at the Metro Centre on Saturday. I prefer to support my local WH Smiths, we can't afford to lose any more local shops.

Seems to be selling well here in the North East.  Looking forward to the next one part 5 -Scottish Sheds.