Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

History here . It confirms 3171 was only in Red/Cream livery and both had little use in the LNER period.

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/ner_petrolelectric.php

I also contacted the NER Autocar Trust re Roof details/layout for 3170 , they were unable to help , stating little is known re their use.

If you go on their website there are a few photographs of the Autocar in use , they stated they  know of no other photographs .

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, micklner said:

History here . It confirms 3171 was only in Red/Cream livery and both had little use in the LNER period.

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/ner_petrolelectric.php

In all honesty, it's not exactly independent corroboration, as I wrote most of that article. Though that web-site does have some very knowledgeable people as members and no-one queried any of the contents, so I'm treating it as fairly effectively 'peer reviewed'. One of the problems we've had (and presumably in consequence Rails as well) is that we have significant holes in our knowledge. The autocar is one to two generations older than many of the other preserved locos/carriages on the UK's lines and that means there's less information around. 

I know you raised the issue of the third engine's exhaust some time ago - I can't offer any constructive comment, sorry. As mentioned earlier, I've been out of things for a while and a lot of the project has run while I've been distracted (rather seriously) with other things, so I can't offer any 'insider' info or explanations. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

In all honesty, it's not exactly independent corroboration, as I wrote most of that article. Though that web-site does have some very knowledgeable people as members and no-one queried any of the contents, so I'm treating it as fairly effectively 'peer reviewed'. One of the problems we've had (and presumably in consequence Rails as well) is that we have significant holes in our knowledge. The autocar is one to two generations older than many of the other preserved locos/carriages on the UK's lines and that means there's less information around. 

I know you raised the issue of the third engine's exhaust some time ago - I can't offer any constructive comment, sorry. As mentioned earlier, I've been out of things for a while and a lot of the project has run while I've been distracted (rather seriously) with other things, so I can't offer any 'insider' info or explanations. 

I have just looked at Ken Hooles book from 1969 " North Eastern Railway Buses, Lorries & Autocars"  the facts in the book are virtually identical to the LNER Forum article.

It confirms all the same facts 3171 appears to have little use after 1923 . It also confirms that 3170 only had extra radiators on the same side as the large exhaust on the lower roof .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/05/2022 at 21:03, micklner said:

I have just looked at Ken Hooles book from 1969 " North Eastern Railway Buses, Lorries & Autocars"  the facts in the book are virtually identical to the LNER Forum article.

It confirms all the same facts 3171 appears to have little use after 1923 . It also confirms that 3170 only had extra radiators on the same side as the large exhaust on the lower roof .

Is it true that 3170 only had the extra radiators & exhaust in LNER days when it received a new engine & that the model of 3070 is correct in NER red & cream?

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, amdaley said:

Is it true that 3170 only had the extra radiators & exhaust in LNER days when it received a new engine & that the model of 3070 is correct in NER red & cream?

Yes , new engine/addtional radiators and exhaust system fitted in 1923 by the LNER. 3171 was in Red/Cream until scrapped by the LNER.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When I was at Embsay for the photo charter with 3170 in February, it was discussed a bit about the three lamps, with all archive photos apparently in the same position, though no one seemed sure what it meant. Presumably that is an NER lamp code?

IMG_8403a.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Upgraded the speaker as the factory fitted one was a bit weak, it couldn't really cope with the rumble of the engine so now it's got 2 YouChoos 18x13x7 IceCubes which nicely fit in the clerestory. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Upgraded the speaker as the factory fitted one was a bit weak, it couldn't really cope with the rumble of the engine so now it's got 2 YouChoos 18x13x7 IceCubes which nicely fit in the clerestory. 

That third option definitely sounds the best and is closest to the actual autocar as it currently is. (As per below, that's a diesel and the sound chip is for a petrol engine).

My experience is that the sound varies depending where you are in relation to the autocar, such as in the engine room or saloon or outside. I know it's not possible for everyone but if you can, visit and hear it for yourselves. The first time I heard it, I recall thinking it was different to many of the railway vehicles I'd seen or traveled on/behind. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
clarity - was interrupted mid-post, lost train of thought...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

That third option definitely sounds the closest to the actual autocar as it currently is. My experience is that the sound varies depending where you are in relation to the autocar, such as in the engine room or saloon or outside. I know it's not possible for everyone but if you can, visit and hear it for yourselves. The first time I heard it, I recall thinking it was different to many of the railway vehicles I'd seen or traveled on/behind. 

Hope it sounds different, it's the petrol sounds that are on!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Hope it sounds different, it's the petrol sounds that are on!

Indeed, the diesel we have in 3170 doesn't have the petrol 'gargling' sound audible in all three clips you posted. But it's still the closest! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Indeed, the diesel we have in 3170 doesn't have the petrol 'gargling' sound audible in all three clips you posted. But it's still the closest! 

This is a 3170 with a diesel engine... (JCB Fastrac 3170, 170hp Cummins engine) 😆

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

This is a 3170 with a diesel engine... (JCB Fastrac 3170, 170hp Cummins engine) 😆

Hmmm  .....  😖 ... lovely gear changes ....

Just for the record, our engineers tell me the engine's a 285 hp Cummins QSL9 (from Darlington). Partly to make sure we can get up a certain hill near WF's hometown, though towing a different sort of trailer. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Lovely job, and it makes such a difference.

However, does this mean Rosedale East is now going to be one of those loud diesel layouts that so annoy other exhibitors! 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I keep seeing those happy reports in this topic from people who have their Autocar models.  Mine has yet to be sent.  Rails produces some lovely exclusive models, but getting them out the door is not exactly their forte.  I had to wait here in the colonies for my Precedent when Rails gave local buyers priority, so my expectations are not high.  But I keep looking at my pre-order listing on Rails' site, and continue to live in hope.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, KymN said:

Mine has yet to be sent.  

When did you order? I ordered in august, and both were send last Thursday, to a UK adress. I did not have them send straight here to Belgium, my father will smuggle them back home for me, saves on customs duty. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

When did you order? I ordered in august, and both were send last Thursday, to a UK adress. I did not have them send straight here to Belgium, my father will smuggle them back home for me, saves on customs duty. 

LOL  Rails don't forget to put one of these on Johan's parcel 😁🇧🇪

20220513_183126.jpg.4b555a7171bce2a2aeb66a4eac7579d5.jpg

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Mine has yet to be sent...

When did you order? I ordered in august, and both were send last Thursday, to a UK address.

February 2019.  Rails must have spotted my post here.  They told me that my card was declined.  It would have been, because it was 18 months out of date.  I don't recall them telling me that until they emailed me last week.  The old card had been used to take the deposit. 

Edited by KymN
  • Friendly/supportive 1