Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2022 at 17:05, Bishdurham said:

Why not get it right first time?  Or do you prefer a list of things to do when you pay three hundred quid for a model?

Pushing one button is an issue for you? Many sound decoders have additional sounds on them that are not strictly necessary / right.

Roy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Pushing one button is an issue for you? Many sound decoders have additional sounds on them that are not strictly necessary / right.

Roy

No Roy not an issue but the original engine was a Napier petrol engine, it didn't work.  The next was a Wolesley which was also petrol.  In 1922 3170 was given a new petrol engine (possibly from a tank).  So of the four engines used ( or six if you count the two vehicles) only the current one used in 3170 is a diesel.  So unless you are running a preserved era layout it should be a petrol engine.

I don't care if it is pressing one button or  typing the Gettysburg Address on your NCE, the default should in my opinion be a petrol engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2022 at 18:42, Bishdurham said:

... the default should in my opinion be a petrol engine.

Maybe the nice people at the 1903 Electric Autocar trust think otherwise? They maybe would like to run it as it is now?

Anyway, I'll use the Petrol sound as wel, (wasn't there a proposal to convert it to Diesel in the '30's?) but since I'll have to change the adress I can change CV155 as well to 1 in no time. Possibly I'll have some volume and other settings to change, maybe lights etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 11:41, PhilJ W said:

Well lit up, the absence of a driver figure is noticeable. A few passengers would not go amiss either.

If we all ask @alanbuttlernicely, it might be something he could look into!

I'd certainly be happy with some NER uniformed staff for mine when it arrives!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2022 at 11:41, PhilJ W said:

Well lit up, the absence of a driver figure is noticeable. A few passengers would not go amiss either.

Which is the downside of large windows. On some summer days last year the crew did report it felt like travelling in a mobile greenhouse! 

5 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

If we all ask @alanbuttlernicely, it might be something he could look into!

I'd certainly be happy with some NER uniformed staff for mine when it arrives!

Cheers

J

Because of serious illness I've been out of the loop for many months but in the recent past there was talk of certain key volunteers being scanned with a view to producing some figures. Whether this was a bespoke, private project or any figures would also be available to the public - or if so, what clothing they'd be in, I don't know. I'll mention the idea to our new Publicity & Marketing fella. No promises but to me it sounds like something worth investigating. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Which is the downside of large windows. On some summer days last year the crew did report it felt like travelling in a mobile greenhouse

In that case, Noch do tomatoes...

295058_e.jpg

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2022 at 18:26, The White Rabbit said:

Which is the downside of large windows. On some summer days last year the crew did report it felt like travelling in a mobile greenhouse! 

Is there any evidence of the prototype being fitted with blinds or curtains when in service?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Is there any evidence of the prototype being fitted with blinds or curtains when in service?

Yes, the original fit did have curtains: 

816711030_AC7-inside.JPG.8bb57c631837135069a616e1b1adf9a0.JPG

And thanks to a couple of our volunteers (one now sadly deceased) the '2022 model' has curtains too. 

1572935360_AutocarSaloonR(AC).jpg.37bd16095c1036e971d126e991cf39c6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

And thanks to a couple of our volunteers (one now sadly deceased) the '2022 model' has curtains too. 

Thanks for that, I know what to do now when mine arrives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2022 at 19:52, The White Rabbit said:

Carpets and curtains on the original by the look of the image… very posh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Carpets and curtains on the original by the look of the image… very posh.

Apparently 'cosy' was the word usually chosen by the contemporary reporters. But yes, it received compliments in 1903/04 of the attention to passenger comfort. 

I think there were originally small radiators between the seats as well, though at the angle of the photograph, you can't see them. Our restoration has included heaters, though now they are under the seats and (for obvious reasons!) come with with guards. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Apparently 'cosy' was the word usually chosen by the contemporary reporters. But yes, it received compliments in 1903/04 of the attention to passenger comfort. 

I think there were originally small radiators between the seats as well, though at the angle of the photograph, you can't see them. Our restoration has included heaters, though now they are under the seats and (for obvious reasons!) come with with guards. 

Wow

looking at the image, above every second window at ceiling level, theres a circular object, is that an extra light bulb ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought that they had flip over seats as found in contemporary tramcars.

They did (and do). Which doesn't leave much space for radiators. Below is a contemporary article (it was on the restoration thread but courtesy of Dediserve, we've lost it...) - the last section talks about passenger accommodation. It doesn't specifically state the location of the radiators but I'm sure I've read somewhere or been told the radiators were between the seats. 

733284505_MotorTraction15-09-1906page1-R.jpg.f701848aae2c228a5d7edcf64f5cd480.jpg

1362769968_MotorTraction15-09-1906page2-R.jpg.e5282958315fb40863392fcde183180b.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wow

looking at the image, above every second window at ceiling level, theres a circular object, is that an extra light bulb ?

Which photo are you looking at? Is it the 2022 version? If it's what I think you mean, they are metal ventilators which you turn a tab to open or close. (This 'tab' is more visible on the RHS). There are slots in them which (presumably - I didn't work on them personally) has pipework connecting to the ventilators on the roof. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Which photo are you looking at? Is it the 2022 version? If it's what I think you mean, they are metal ventilators which you turn a tab to open or close. (This 'tab' is more visible on the RHS). There are slots in them which (presumably - I didn't work on them personally) has pipework connecting to the ventilators on the roof. 

It was the original picture, it looks like a candescent bulb housing every second window at the ceiling level, though it appears bulbs arent fitted, cant really tell.

i’m hoping to get a trip to embsay this summer, I will be looking out for its operating dates, I saw 3 in the timetable.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It was the original picture, it looks like a candescent bulb housing every second window at the ceiling level, though it appears bulbs aren't fitted, can't really tell.

i’m hoping to get a trip to embsay this summer, I will be looking out for its operating dates, I saw 3 in the timetable.

1152795474_AC7-inside-EC.jpg.21b0b8f5d776ef24d7ff7c65a0738ab3.jpg

I've played with the original picture a bit and think you are right. The red circle looks like a socket without bulb and the green square is doing a good impression of one with a bulb in... The blue diamond looks like it may be a switch or plunger but I'm not sure. It certainly didn't come with those fitted (as per photo below of early restoration) though as a holiday home in a field, I'm not too surprised. I guess it's logical enough, the bulbs in the clerestory wouldn't have provided a lot of light by themselves. Though I wonder whether the NER had an issue with reflections off windows - the first GCR Gala when we were held at a signal until after dusk because of some issue elsewhere, we found there was a problem with this. Our lighting is probably brighter than what the NER had. Anyway, tangents... 

Hope you make it to Embsay. TBH I've not looked at the dates, not being able to get out and about now or in the near future, I hadn't thought about which days to volunteer/travel/phot. But our web-site and Embsay's should have all of them listed, so hope one works for you. 

IMG_5064.JPG.2600b37ffae154e5243f97f2e95e6ccc.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any photographs of the interior of the model available ?

EDIT: I asked Rails if photographs of the model interior were available & this was the reply.

Hi Tony

It is really difficult to photograph the interior of models so they are generally just taken of the exterior.

Kind regards.

So we'll just have to wait until someone does a review on the model.

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have just received notification that the railcars will be received by Rails next week.

I haven't, but then Rails has been known to send products to its UK customers before us foreigners. 😜.

Edited by KymN
Correction
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have just received notification that the railcars will be received by Rails next week.

Do you know anybody who wants a kidney?  Have to find someway of paying for the thing now! 😄

• Funny 4

I received notification of a payment being taken for mine today, good job I knew they were due fairly soon and as such had transferred some of my railway savings into the appropriate account already! I can imagine that coming as quite a surprise to some who weren't aware of their imminence!

Looking forward to its arrival of course!

Cheers

J

• Like 3