Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, amdaley said:

Are there any photographs of the interior of the model available ?

EDIT: I asked Rails if photographs of the model interior were available & this was the reply.

Hi Tony

It is really difficult to photograph the interior of models so they are generally just taken of the exterior.

Kind regards.

So we'll just have to wait until someone does a review on the model.

I'm not aware of any interior photos. I would generally agree with Rails' response above, I've found it tricky to get good frames, though I admit I am not a professional model photographer.  However, given all the interior detail, especially in the engine room, I think I would have made a particular effort to take or have taken some frames for publicity purposes. 

Re waiting for reviews, at the risk of sounding like I'm on Rails' payroll and giving folk the 'hard sell', I wouldn't advise waiting for reviews before placing an order. The email notification Phil [JW] mentions also said 3170 in NER livery has now sold out - there's 3171 in NER and 3170 in LNER still available at the moment. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'm not aware of any interior photos. I would generally agree with Rails' response above, I've found it tricky to get good frames, though I admit I am not a professional model photographer.  However, given all the interior detail, especially in the engine room, I think I would have made a particular effort to take or have taken some frames for publicity purposes. 

Re waiting for reviews, at the risk of sounding like I'm on Rails' payroll and giving folk the 'hard sell', I wouldn't advise waiting for reviews before placing an order. The email notification Phil [JW] mentions also said 3170 in NER livery has now sold out - there's 3171 in NER and 3170 in LNER still available at the moment. 

I suppose that's a chance I'll have to take.

If I miss out then so be it.

We seem to have gone from manufacturers bringing models to market that modellers may want to buy to this pre-order frenzy where modellers are expected to order often years in advance of a model being produced because of the fear of losing out.

If you are asking someone to pay out £200 for a model then I think its only fair to provide them with proper photographs of its interior,especially when the interior will be highly visible because of the amount of windows in the model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, amdaley said:

I suppose that's a chance I'll have to take.

If I miss out then so be it.

We seem to have gone from manufacturers bringing models to market that modellers may want to buy to this pre-order frenzy where modellers are expected to order often years in advance of a model being produced because of the fear of losing out.

If you are asking someone to pay out £200 for a model then I think its only fair to provide them with proper photographs of its interior,especially when the interior will be highly visible because of the amount of windows in the model.

I think that's an understandable point of view. (And one already discussed in other threads, so I won't comment further). I just wanted to ensure you (and other readers) were aware of the position so you could make your decision (either way) knowing the risk of having it made for you because the models sell out before a review appears. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I seem to recall asking on this thread about accessing the interior to add passengers and crew and IIRC I was told that it was quite easy to do so.

Famous last words but I bet there will be an article soon in one of the magazines about how to do this, whether 'just' adding figures or super-detailing it with extras, such as curtains. Not done by me, I'm not in a position to do the modelling/writing at the moment, but even this early in the morning, I can think of five staff/writers who are likely candidates for such a project. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid I don't really understand the demand to see a picture of the interior.

The open nature of the prototype make the views of the interior fairly open to all.  If you cannot  see "it" from the views we already have, then what is the problem?  It is probably not going to be seen in use or in the display cabinet.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

I am afraid I don't really understand the demand to see a picture of the interior.

The open nature of the prototype make the views of the interior fairly open to all.  If you cannot  see "it" from the views we already have, then what is the problem?  It is probably not going to be seen in use or in the display cabinet.

The other day I was looking at an interior view of a compartment coach minus its roof with nicely moulded netting luggage racks above the seats.  Fantastic level of detail, but I couldn't help wondering whether one could see any of it when the stock is on the layout.  I know lighting makes a difference to the level of detail we can see but we typically look from above at our layouts.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The prototype has large windows and from certain angles the lack of occupants is obvious, that is why I asked if the interior is accessible.

The interior is accessible Philj W. The whole body shell is one piece and has 4 mounting points that unclip very easily. Plenty of seats for populating the interior of the model. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The engine room in the above pics show the Wolseley flat four petrol engine. Does that feature in all versions or do they have an appropriate 'engine' fitted? (3071 never had the Wolseley engine and the preserved one has a modern diesel engine.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A few of the members of the congregation of t' Chapel have put on their Sunday best in anticipation of an outiing on this new train, they say it's just a carriage that drives it's self! There's no engine on the front! Well, we'll believe that when we see it! 

20220502_163110_copy_1600x720.jpg.d79fede87f1fcb3f6bd6b56cac52ffeb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered one, ordered in November 2018. 

I've just read the bit that says they will be arriving after the bank holiday weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

A few of the members of the congregation of t' Chapel have put on their Sunday best in anticipation of an outiing on this new train, they say it's just a carriage that drives it's self! There's no engine on the front! Well, we'll believe that when we see it! 

That's two churches worth in these parts, but they do scrub up well!

• Funny 4

On 02/05/2022 at 17:40, Worsdell forever said:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just checked my card account, was charged for two railcars with sound on Saturday.

Be interesting to see when they arrive as sound-fitted versions don't normally get sent out until after all the non-sound versions have been sent out.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Very nice too - where did you get them from?

They're set 003 from Andrew Stadden, minus one gentleman who has been employed for a couple of years driving a pony and trap. I've got set 004 on its way to fill a few more seats but they look a little 'below' the good folk from Chapel, so they'll no doubt sit down the other end.

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/shop-3?page=2

• Like 4

LNER version just arrived .

Overall very good, Truss frames are very delicate and will bend !!

Runs very quietly .

Driving wheels in Chrome need to be Blackened

Instructions say a Magnet Wand included, there isnt one in the box. I tried my Rapido Dyno car one and the lights stayed on ?. Message to Rails sent.

The one big problem is that the model is not correct for the LNER version. On page 1 in Rails Advert for the model  and copied below is a photograph of the actual  LNER version, there is a very large exhaust fitted to the roof and Radiators on the lower Roof section. It would need major work for those parts to be fitted .

The instructions say a new engine was fitted in 1923 so perhaps this is how it looked prior to the Engine fitting , I doubt if anyone knows the answer to that !! Curtains have been ignored as well.

Overall very good , but could have been much better, with more research. 7/10.

FEE1698E-8F11-43CD-A26C-3F4D9F9369F6_4_5005_c.jpeg.df0fd3ccfa7f2866804dbcdd6f4b6bc5.jpeg

3A35CF96-A652-42DB-8266-F71895273A14_4_5005_c.jpeg.996f4028efdcd30b641834839c104641.jpeg

6CA581F9-3A3F-4197-AF21-65CD4C2281E1_4_5005_c.jpeg.931036409a5d76aad0b060558072332e.jpeg

1C14F221-FBF8-45FA-9263-66476348FE46_1_201_a.jpeg.02b5a95c3f9ad7cbd9d3b5f8124c9ff0.jpeg

B21652F8-5269-4CE0-AA9A-ABEF590A0EA2_4_5005_c.jpeg.18d142a9a3800843f0ded378fc1f8803.jpeg

6CA581F9-3A3F-4197-AF21-65CD4C2281E1_4_5005_c.jpeg

image.png.665e607c1a99ec775224fda90ad711ca.png

Edited by micklner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3