Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Panic Room - Incarnate. Playback of album at the launch party with the band.

Couldn't make it to the gig, but can't wait to get my copy! I'd ask if it's any good, but that'd be a daft question! :D

Quick spending trip via HMV after work this morning resulted in 3 new albums: Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys 'Electric' and quite possibly my favourite of the three Maxïmo Park's 'Too Much Information'. Lyrically quite interesting with tales of lyrics by dead poets and a slight smuttering of early 80s darkness on tracks like Brain Cells and Leave this Island before re hitting a more Maxïmo like sounds and guitar riffs of My Bloody Mind and I Recognise The Night . It's different from their previous but then again so is each album.

Slightly ironic for this kind of weather we've been having lately but this came into my mind earlier. Take one big selling average hit of 2007, add in the Manic Street Preachers and suddenly it turns into a decent rock track.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe. An album which was very "of its time", and really hasn't aged well.

BigElf - Into The Maelstom. Suggests that if you have The Beatles as a major influence, it helps if other inflences are The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and King Crimson

Oasis - Definitely Maybe. An album which was very "of its time", and really hasn't aged well.

BigElf - Into The Maelstom. Suggests that if you have The Beatles as a major influence, it helps if other inflences are The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and King Crimson

Hi Tim,

I remember buying this album on the actual day of release.

Tunes like Supersonic and Shakermaker are class Oasis tracks (which admittedly isn't saying much) I even bought their first single Supersonic and thought wow this sounds pretty good.

I thought that they could have been as good as the Stone Roses but I was way off the mark because as musicians they were all fairly poor, song writing, terrible. The only thing that Oasis were good at was PR and getting stories in tabloids.

Noel used to be a roadie for an Oldham band called Inspiral Carpets in the very late 80's early 90's maybe that where he should have stayed as I think he really did get ideas above his station, saying that they all made a few quid out of it but so has Simon Cowell and we all know how p1ss poor his contribution to music has been.

• Like 1

Also as a footnote to the above posting Mark McGee (spelling) was also to blame for the rise of Oasis as being the owner of Creation Records I think he wanted a quick buck out of this act

Bands like Ride who were far superior to oasis in everyway were just not selling enough units and I think Mark did see a money making machine in Oasis and pushed them for frequent single releases, TV, Music mags etc. etc.

Of course as a sort of ironic note Andy Bell once of Ride joined Oasis and must have thought, lets make lots of money but I'm not sure that he did. He was certainly head and shoulders above the rest in musical talent.