RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

South of I10 - Sonny Landreth

Credits for one track contain "Mark Knopfler and Tommy Malone - Background Vocals". That's a bit like hiring Michaelangelo to paint your skirting boards. (To be fair, he does play various guitars on several other tracks.)

Rebecca Downes - Believe.  Rather excellent blues album I'm reviewing, out in March

Jodie Marie - Trouble in Mind. Another blues singer-songwriter, the record The Guardian didn't want you to hear

Aghast Afterglow - Imagine. Italian symphonic goth-metal. Somewhat in the vein of Nightwish but without their production budget, so it has to rely on good songs instead.

Resurrection Kings. Self-titled album by a supergroup made of other people's sidesmen; rather generic 80s hard rock by numbers, and not very good.

Motorhead, Bad Magic. They went out on a high, this one rocks like a bastard. RIP Lemmy. 

There are reviews of Jodie Marie and Aghast Afterglow on my blog

Just got hold of Mott The Hoople's first album on cd (still have the pink Island, though). Bought the original on the back of "At The Crossroads" on the "Nice Enough To Eat" sampler. Love the album and the Escher sleeve.

And just read that drummer Dale Griffin has died http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/18/mott-the-hoople-drummer-dale-griffin-dies-aged-67

There's an Escher exhibition doing the rounds now, currently at Dulwich Picture Gallery, we saw it at Edinburgh Scottish Gallery of Modern Art in August. Zonkingly mind-blowing!

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Desperado -Eagles. RIP Glen

No more "tequila sunrise"

• RMweb Premium

Iggy Pop - The Idiot

Contains the original and best version of "China Girl".

Iggy Pop still alive I hear you say? - Having heard him on radio 6 - the jury's out for me personally! 

Dave Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

Excellent as one would expect. I love the overall feeling of melancholia of it. Suits my mood today.

steve

I like that rather better than "The Endless River", which never really managed to rise above its origin as a collection of outtakes and leftovers.

• Like 1