RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

There is a radio programme on today (Sunday) comprising only of train songs.  It is on Alive107.3 at 11am and Radio Northumberland at 8pm.  Most people will need to listen online by ‘listen live’ on the radio stations websites.

If you miss it this week it will be repeated next Sunday.

I've had this blasting out of the stereo in the car this week, a flawed masterpiece recorded in late '67 and released in January '68...

BYRDSLPd6464_ocrop.jpg.0e3531910e03b268dc877b6eaaf7968b.jpg

BYRDSLPd6464_ocrop2.jpg.3f14ea8fc21243280fc681d83e956b7a.jpg

The flaw is really in the production as in places it's quite 'muddy', but McGuinn's Rickenbacker 360/12 comes shining through, particularly on 'Change Is Now', a full on psychedelic guitar fest with a country tinged chorus. If ever this album is remastered properly, then the highly compressed fuzz guitars and backwards tape loops on 'Space Odyssey' can be heard as they were meant to be heard. There's a lot more depth in these songs than their earlier output and one of the tracks, 'Wasn't Born To Follow' was picked by Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper for the soundtrack of 'Easy Rider'.

• Like 3

My youtube channel feed threw up a recent live version of Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer, man for a bloke my age, he has still got the voice, not too sure about some of his dodgy "Dad dancing" but a great song played really well.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2024 at 23:09, Torper said:

Jazz/Rock fusion from four very talented Japanese girls - great to see a girl with a Flying V and it sounds terrific - shades of Machiya of the Wagakki Band.

They are Fabulous!  Where did you find them?  I will HAVE to check out more.

3 hours ago, DLT said:

Just acquired this gem, Change We Must by Jon Anderson.  Superb, surely one of his best?

image.png.5b73943336ffb65e9bb8dce307c2fcf7.png

Oooh, tough call! I adore Anderson's singing. From 'Wonderous Stories' & 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' with Yes to 'I Hear You Now' with Vangelis, I'd be hard pressed to say any were better than another.

C6T.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Oooh, tough call! I adore Anderson's singing. From 'Wonderous Stories' & 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' with Yes to 'I Hear You Now' with Vangelis, I'd be hard pressed to say any were better than another.

C6T.

Hi Mr.T

Anderson's singing is sublime anywhere, but the music and songs on his albums can vary (I recently heard a "previously unreleased" Yes song, and it was awful!)  Even he has made the occasional dud or misfire.  My point was that Change We Must is one of the best of his albums that I've come accross.  I've lost count of the number of albums he's made, and I certainly haven't heard them all.  I've got all the early ones though.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was born in the wrong decade. I wish I was a teenager/20 something in the late 80s/early 90s. Alas I was 10 years later. 

Still a banger for a c. 40 yr old track!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the same people that bought you The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, Tammy Wynette, Justified & Ancient (Stand by the JAMs). Doctorin' the Tardis. Fimed at various locations in Deepest East Wiltshire like Avebury, the Cherhill White Horse and the Lansdowne Monument, and the deserted RAF base at Yatesbury. This time driving a Ford Galaxie American "police car" instead of Tammy Wynette's Ice Cream Van.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

WARNING!!!

This video contains graphic abuse of HO-gauge models

Hmm...a 12" I immediately regretted purchasing once I got it home and plonked the stylus on it. I suppose at a stretch it's barely improved with age? But whilst the Tammy Wynette JAMM remains a banger I find it difficult to be enthusiastic about much else in KLFs back catalogue. Especially given the, better made, recorded material by other artists at the time and the duos disregard for the art form by sending the income garnered up in smoke.

C6T.

• Like 1

Burlesque by Family, I would post a link but haven't worked out how to on this site, Leicester's finest, the songs about a night club in the town though to go the club you didn't go "out west" it was actually on the North East side of town, but that wouldn't rhyme..................................................

On 20/03/2024 at 22:26, KeithMacdonald said:

WARNING!!!

This video contains graphic abuse of HO-gauge models

Probably the best 12” single ever released. (Marginally beating New Order’s Blue Monday, but only just.)

steve (Who is not a fan of dance music/EDM)

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

On 20/03/2024 at 23:06, Classsix T said:

…and the duos disregard for the art form by sending the income garnered up in smoke.

@Classsix T I think you may have missed the point. The whole of the KLF’s raison d’etre was chaos and unpredictability.

steve

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, steve1 said:

Probably the best 12” single ever released. (Marginally beating New Order’s Blue Monday, but only just.)

I have to differ with that conclusion, Manchester's finest wins I'm afraid, however I do accept that there are no railway references in Blue Monday.

Kind regards,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now who does that remind me of?????

I do hope Clive that your statement is not political? Else action may be taken...😁

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1