The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Anathema - Weather Systems

Leading contender for album of the year by a country mile. It's giving me goosepimples as I listen.

steve

Edited by steve1

All this talk in the "Change Coming Over RM web" thread about 1970`s telly; in the form of 'Crossroads', took me back to more worthy Tv. of the mid-70`s........Granada`s "World in Action"

http://youtu.be/q_4iyJZp7AM

Even now, Shawn Phillips` theme composition played on a Hammond, still makes my blood run-cold; the programme was my first introduction to proper 'grown-up' issues; dark, gritty, violent/subversive and often anti-establishment matters, that I didn`t understand (or had even previously known existed).

The music seemed to fit the issues and mood if the programme so well, those 'shocking' opening chords and the melancholy of the middle section (frequently used when the programme was in conclusion; more often without a happy ending.).

Shawn Phillips wrote it on the spot in 1975, for John Shepphard, one of the producers for “World In Actionâ€, at the time.

Phillips played the guitar and the organ player was Mick Weaver, (AKA Wynder K. Frog), and they were improvising.

Shawn Phillips` talented career and body of work is amazing........well-worth an hour (or two) browsing it on YouTube.

• Like 3

Debs, I needed a 'Love This' button for that, not heard it for years and I've always been a big Hammond fan. I'll be sending a link to my brother, he'll just love it too, he's owned and played both B3's and C3's in the past. When we played in various bands, many years ago, we had the pleasure of lugging one of them in and out of various vans and venues. Keith Emerson had a lot to answer for :derisive:

• Like 1

The World in Action mention also reminded me of this, the theme to another current affairs programme, Brian Waldren's 'Weekend World'.

Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride from the album of the same name. They used the section from 5:00 to the end. One of my all time favourite albums.

• Like 2

Anathema - Weather Systems

Leading contender for album of the year by a country mile. It's giving me goosepimples as I listen.

steve

You heard Storm Corrosion yet?

I've been listening to that today, along with another spin of Panic Room's excellent "Skin", which is also a contender for album of the year.

Shawn Phillips wrote it on the spot in 1975, for John Shepphard, one of the producers for “World In Actionâ€, at the time.

Phillips played the guitar and the organ player was Mick Weaver, (AKA Wynder K. Frog), and they were improvising.

Shawn Phillips` talented career and body of work is amazing........well-worth an hour (or two) browsing it on YouTube.

That was a gateway drug for Prog-rock for me!!

• Like 1

The World in Action mention also reminded me of this, the theme to another current affairs programme, Brian Waldren's 'Weekend World'.

Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride from the album of the same name. They used the section from 5:00 to the end. One of my all time favourite albums.

Fantastic drum playing by Corky Laing, there! :imsohappy: .......I have that album on vinyl too; so that`s definitely coming out for a play tomorrow. :good:

Fantastic drum playing by Corky Laing, there! :imsohappy: .......

For sure, he had quite a distinctive style and sound, the latter helped by the fact that he had quite an unusual drum kit set-up.

Having had my interest sparked by his 'Somebody that I used to know', I've been listening to 'Gotye' recently;- A musical genius in the making, & difficult to categorise. He seems to draw inspiration from the most obscure corners, & comes up with fresh, thoughtful songs.. I particularly liked this song, inspired by a home organ bought from a junk shop..

It's well worth looking up some of his other stuff on youtube

• RMweb Gold

:good: ....so does that Leslie fellow, too! :tender:

Ah, now that may also fill in a blank for me. On an early Blood Sweat and Tears album, there is mention of something called a Leslie Gurgle - just has to be the same geezer. Not to be confused with multi-chime horns, used on US diesels, of the same name. Leslie - not gurgle!

Anent tv theme music with attitude, this was The Money Programme theme for some years. It was from my first Jimmy Smith album - of more than 20 eventually - bought at Xmas '65, with money earned as a window-cleaner. The premises cleaned included Deepdene House, WW2 HQ of the Southern Railway!

• Like 4

Ah, now that may also fill in a blank for me. On an early Blood Sweat and Tears album, there is mention of something called a Leslie Gurgle - just has to be the same geezer. Not to be confused with multi-chime horns, used on US diesels, of the same name. Leslie - not gurgle!

Anent tv theme music with attitude, this was The Money Programme theme for some years. It was from my first Jimmy Smith album - of more than 20 eventually - bought at Xmas '65, with money earned as a window-cleaner. The premises cleaned included Deepdene House, WW2 HQ of the Southern Railway!

Straight into my 'favourites' :sungum: .........brilliantly 'fat' big-band sound and what fantastic syncopation! :music_mini:

The Leslie speaker makes for a truly wonderful sound; no Hammond set-up is complete without one! :imsohappy:

The Leslie speaker makes for a truly wonderful sound; no Hammond set-up is complete without one! :imsohappy:

Unless you're Jon Lord of Deep Purple. A Hammond organ plugged into a Marshall stack, now that's a sound!

• Like 1