The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

Current weather prediction (from my CIA usual source) is that rain is 50-60% likely for the duration of the race. We had a prediction of 30-40% rain for the last few hours, and it has bucketted down.

Should be good tomorrow!

• Like 5

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:03, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

What we need now is a good wet weekend. No nonsense of rain halfway through and the luck of the draw in who can get back to the pits for wet tyres, just wet throughout. Then we will get the measure of the current front runner's and new hotshot's relative abilities.

Looks like we are getting what I hoped for. We have known 'forever' that Hammy is a class act in the wet. Got to believe that Verstappen has the same ability, and is developing the maturity and self control to best exploit it. Bottas, Leclerc, Norris, <insert your favoured star of the future name here> step up and show us what you have got. IT'S SPRAYTIME!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Looks like we are getting what I hoped for. We have known 'forever' that Hammy is a class act in the wet. Got to believe that Verstappen has the same ability, and is developing the maturity and self control to best exploit it. Bottas, Leclerc, Norris, <insert your favoured star of the future name here> step up and show us what you have got. IT'S SPRAYTIME!

My prediction if it is a wet start.

Hammy and Max come to blows at the end of the straight entering the stadium section on Lap 1.

Bottas goes onto win with Gasly 2nd and LeClerc 3rd.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, newbryford said:

My prediction if it is a wet start.

Hammy and Max come to blows at the end of the straight entering the stadium section on Lap 1.

Bottas goes onto win with Gasly 2nd and LeClerc 3rd.

That would surprise me on this year's form.

Hamilton has not taken many risks for a couple of years. Even when Vettel was looking stronger early last season, he didn't throw all his chances with one move.

Verstappen would have gone for any gap last season. I think he now backs himself to get past without taking as bigger risks as he used to.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That would surprise me on this year's form.

Hamilton has not taken many risks for a couple of years. Even when Vettel was looking stronger early last season, he didn't throw all his chances with one move.

Verstappen would have gone for any gap last season. I think he now backs himself to get past without taking as bigger risks as he used to.

Possibly so, but in the absence of red cars at the front. maybe the red mist will appear in Max's visor...........

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Possibly so, but in the absence of red cars at the front. maybe the red mist will appear in Max's visor...

He'll definitely be thinking, this is my best chance yet this season for a win. Now we see whether the improvement in behaviour on track this season has got a solid grip on him, or not. And I would expect Hamilton to 'avoid' if he can, his race is all about finishing. If his car is still going at race end, the probability is he's on the podium, whatever.

• Agree 7

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

No points for the silver cars.

Must be a long time since.

They weren't silver ;-)

I believe Mercedes originally adopted the silver colour when a car they entered in a race turned out to be slightly overweight so they stripped the paint off it and ran it in bare aluminium! When it won, they decided silver was their lucky colour and kept it.

Maybe white is not their lucky colour....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how much time Hamilton would have lost had he gone around the track with a damaged wing and pitted with the team ready vs the situation that occurred (assuming no punctures).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Totally unpredictable but fun to see it unfold. Some very good displays of car control in some instances and also showing how easy it is to get things wrong. Great races by Max and Seb.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/249620/alfa-romeo-suffer-post-race-penalisation-williams-score-first-points

The Alfa's have been demoted, Hamilton get's points in the end as does Williams.

That's an obscure one. It seems scrutineers go into a lot of detail with their post-race examinations.

A shame for Alfa to lose 2 good results but the rules are there for a reason & are not worth having if you can't or don't enforce them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Nothing like spraytime.

What we now know.

Verstappen has become a grown up F1 driver. And at least he gets a compensatory win this season.

Stroll! Perhaps there is some talent there after all?

Albon and  Russell made it to the finish. Promising.

Leclerc is not quite the complete package. Lost his normal edge in the wet.

Gasly is not the complete package at all. Way off his teammate's pace in the wet. Byeeee.

And even with flu, Hamilton is still quicker than anyone else.

Anyine know yet what went wrong with the Red Bull's clockwork motor getting off the line?

• Like 5

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/249640/renault-truck-crashes-en-route-to-hungary

Things go from bad to worse for Renault after both cars retired. Now one of their trucks has crashed. Fortunately it sounds like the driver is okay.

Hopefully it's not one carrying the cars and anything damaged can be replaced in time for the weekend.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2