The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

Some of the comments made in the Williams film were quite surprising  e.g Mansell described by a ex team member as a "ass " relating to the 1986 season jinks with Piquet .

Quite sad to see problems the team have nowadays , hopefully it will recover soon.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I abandoned the Williams program, which I hope to catch up with later, to watch the Formula E race instead.

It was a good race! Big crash, red flag, hotheaded manoeuvres, strategy miscalculations, and the driver who led from the start lost it on the line with the guy who did win coming over the line all crossed up inside him.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

Well fancy finding this topic on this website! Ferrari Grand Prix team fan since 1965, the engineering going into these cars is quite extraordinary, indeed only exceeded by Sir Nigel Gresley Sir William Stainer and Mr O V S Bullied. 

My favourite racing car of all time is the Ferrari 330P4 which I saw finish second at Brands Hatch in the BOAC 500 mile race to take the World Sportscar Championship.

Looking forward to 2019 season and the interplay between Vettel and Leclerc. We shall see.

Kind regards,

Richard Bimage.png.1697e9743aa0eee20eedf06ffa2ebebd.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Well fancy finding this topic on this website! Ferrari Grand Prix team fan since 1965, the engineering going into these cars is quite extraordinary, indeed only exceeded by Sir Nigel Gresley Sir William Stainer and Mr O V S Bullied. 

My favourite racing car of all time is the Ferrari 330P4 which I saw finish second at Brands Hatch in the BOAC 500 mile race to take the World Sportscar Championship.

Looking forward to 2019 season and the interplay between Vettel and Leclerc. We shall see.

Kind regards,

Richard Bimage.png.1697e9743aa0eee20eedf06ffa2ebebd.png

Well, yes, the P4 was pretty good, but Ford hardly ran the MkIV at many races that year, so Ferrari’s championship was a bit pyrrhic. And even at Brands, being seen off - just - by a Texan oilman and his winged monster, albeit with a lot of General Motors money behind it, hardly made it the summit of sportscar development. 

But, just for you

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

As you will have guessed, my comments were a bit tongue in cheek.

My appreciation of the P4 is, I guess, of the time. These cars seemed so exotic and Ferrari was at the apogee much more so then than now. I really admired the fact (I was then training to be an engineer) that Ferrari, like BRM and others, made all the main components of the car themselves. The P4 was just very beautiful and remains so now. The Mk IV was technically more advanced, particularly in relation to its structure, than the P4  although that "small" V12 was rather good and sounded fabulous. 

I totally agree regarding the Chaparral 2F, it was a wonderful piece of kit which changed so much and subsequent cars continued to do so, the 2J being a good example. Yes the P4 belonged to an earlier era compared to its competition in 1967.

You are located in a rather nice part of the world, one imagines that you have have visited Le Mans 24 hours a few times? My only visit was in 1972 which, if I recall, was a Matra win driven by Henri and Graham. My brother and I booked the visit expecting to see a clean sweep of Ferrari 312PB's but naturally enough they decided not to enter their fast but fragile cars. 

Are you a railway modeller too!?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Other revered members know most of what follows, and may switch off now! Yes, the 24 Heures is what drew me to retire here in 2004, with my sadly late wife Deb. She had sat alongside her father in the early 60s as he drove down the Mulsanne Straight - in the family Ford Anglia, while Mum and elder sister Helen in the back failed to appreciate the experience! Deb and I finally sampled the race in 1997, and that was that. We missed 1998, but went every year until she died later in 2012. So I have now been more than 20 times, and new wife Sherry - whom I knew slightly at skool - does a fine job of taking an interest. 

I had intended posting a pic I took at the LM Classic this year of a replica P4, but the new software told me the file was too large, so I’ll have to reduce it - perils of using full-frame!

In common with quite a number of RMwebbers I was a railwayman, and yes, I am some sort of modeller, with a 20’ x 17’ barn in which a 16.5mm gauge layout is HO US on one side,and Southern Railway OO on the other. Then there’s the On30 US stuff, the French HO railcar collection, and now a fifth baseboard for my HOm Harz system. If you were to infer that quantity exceeds quality I might not argue......

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

McLaren are a surprise at this stage. Only time will tell if it carries through to race day.

Mercedes are, I reckon, 'sandbagging', surely they can't have slipped back so much.

LeClerc seems to be living up to expectations as well, Norris is going well and it looks as if there is a glimmer of hope for a good season this year.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

This says it all, about Sky and Bernie, but watch out for some BAD LANGUAGE in the comments. haha

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3640/new-details-of-channel-4-2019-f1-coverage/

Thanks Andy - that is a great site I have never looked at before.

If F1 and Liberty survive the legacy contracts by Ecclestone, then maybe it can become a mass spectator sport again. The testing sessions suggest there will be a number of surprises this year, which should have had so many of us eager to watch. Highlights from C4 will remain my primary fix. I am certainly not going to put any more sovs into the funds of the ghastly Murdoch Oligarchs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/02/now-tv-formula-one-season-ticket/

hmmm £195 for skyf1 (via  nowtv) for the season. Not as bad as I thought but enough to make me think carefully. The auto renew sting in the tail at the end of the season is also worth keeping in mind....

That's interesting - thanks - but compares to an average RRP just a few years ago (ignoring the Licence Fee which all must pay) of £0 per year. And some years before that, an average of £0 per year, and without all those adverts.

It is a choice for sure. But it is their choice.

• Agree 1

I do hope Alonso is NOT trying to push his way back in at the cost to Norris or Sainz. He is history and should let the youngsters have their turn, or is it because he has suddenly seen how quick the McLaren look s so far in testing, that he is annoyed that once again, he has called a bad move for himself?

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/26093816/why-fernando-alonso-testing-mclaren-again-2019

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:10, Richard E said:

...Mercedes are, I reckon, 'sandbagging', surely they can't have slipped back so much...

Where did they look weakest in 2018? I would say their biggest problem was pace with the car carrying full race fuel load. That would be the aspect of performance to which I would want to devote testing time: finding performance improvement in this condition so that front row starts are not surrendered.

(Unless they have borked the car in some way in their development for 2019 (it can happen!), otherwise they have all that's required: enough pace, race distance reliability, season long durability, a driver who can consistently take the car to the limit of its potential.)

With at least two and quite possibly three potentially competitive cars with young and able drivers in the team, getting away cleanly and holding the lead during the early phase of the race is going to be yet more at a premium this season.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Last morning of the Barcelona test, and Vettel goes marginally quicker than Leclerc did yesterday to top the timesheet overall. But suddenly Bottas is less than half a second behind in third overall. Fuel load and tyre chioice not quoted for either run today so far, but Leclerc was on C5 yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

And after two (short) weeks of testing, Vettel sets fastest time - by three thousands of a second from Hamilton. Leclerc is within a hundreth, too. This season will not be a disappointment, it seems.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And after two (short) weeks of testing, Vettel sets fastest time - by three thousands of a second from Hamilton. Leclerc is within a hundreth, too. This season will not be a disappointment, it seems.   

Quite so. The Silvers were indeed playing the same Enigma game as last year. Perhaps they should be managed by Toto Bushell?

And not only, but also - McLaren kind of look a bit up for it, much more than the last few years - no deck chairs evident. And Williams were not actually last, despite being last to the party.

The new boys (as in people, not team names) look hot (Horace Norris's view that F1 is all about learning how to use the extra buttons on the steering wheel was a revelation). But The Verstapp does not. Interesting highlight shows ahead. Sprint from starts might be even more key, if the overtaking promise of the new aero changes proves illusory. Unless bumper cars becomes the order of the day - always fun to watch, but it does take the sport out of sport.

Love it!

• Like 2