RMweb

New telephone scam ?

duncan

Just had a recorded phone call (american sounding voice) advising that a hacking attempt had been made by my ISP address to a government website.  If I didn't phone the number given, then my internet would be disconnected.   :O

Is this fake news ?    :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Yet another attempt to get people to call an expensive phone number and get ripped off! Never call a number quoted by such an email. If a government site had been hacked they would not be asking you to call them, they would be banging on your door at 3am.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Someone has set up 'Lenny'. Its a series of messages on a Raspberry Pi I believe. You can divert calls from dodgy numbers to it.

Google 'Lenny Indian Call Centre" for some samples.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Three calls (so far) over the last 24 hours claiming to be from HMRC saying that there is a case against me and if I don't press button one a warrant will be issued for my immediate arrest. Needless to say I have not pressed button one! The calls are from 0300 200 with different last 3 numbers. A blasted nuisance!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2019 at 09:46, laurenceb said:

Three calls (so far) over the last 24 hours claiming to be from HMRC saying that there is a case against me and if I don't press button one a warrant will be issued for my immediate arrest. Needless to say I have not pressed button one! The calls are from 0300 200 with different last 3 numbers. A blasted nuisance!

I just had one of those - at least I assume it was that one, I didn't let the automated message go on for long enough to find out.

It's quite worrying that the phone system makes it that easy to spoof CLI, as 0300 200 is a legit block of HMRC numbers. 

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2019 at 13:50, kevinlms said:

Someone has set up 'Lenny'. Its a series of messages on a Raspberry Pi I believe. You can divert calls from dodgy numbers to it.

Google 'Lenny Indian Call Centre" for some samples.

That is brilliant. :rofl:

• Like 2

The latest - Phone rings - Picks up phone - No hello just cuts to a boring English America female voice at insistent pressure..

"Your credit card has been charged $399 for computer services - (repeats thrice) - If you want to cancel the charge dial XXX XXX XXXX ..

Now I'm in no way dialing that number.. Who knows what it connects to?

So we have these criminals in Canada too..

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Bill said:

So we have these criminals in Canada too..

Sadly yes we do. Some are more sophisticated but especially beware of the ones that say “press one to connect with....”  The sad part is they are all located offshore and our government can’t (or won’t) do a thing about it. There was an episode on Marketplace last week about just such a scam.

Cheers,

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a particularly bad week for this. I think that we are at ten calls from the Chinese American lady who is about to cut off our broadband. And one from the HMRC scammers who have issued the arrest warrant.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I too am getting repeated calls from various numbers, but always the same recorded message : This message is being relayed to you via British Telecommunications. Your contract with BT expires today, to continue your contract Press 1.

Funny how all these organisations, BT, HMRC etc. need you to press 1. No way. (Of course I know none of these organisations would just 'phone you in this manner).

I have BT Call Protect and have successfully blocked a number from a legitimate, but persistent to the point of becoming a nuisance business, but when I've tried to block these various scam numbers have received an error msg. :" There's a problem, unable to access your account" in My BT. I'm wondering if its anything to do with the requirement to provide the National code, e.g. 44 for UK numbers, when these calls probably originate overseas.

Any ideas welcome.

Regards,

John

Many years ago my paypal account was hacked.Paypal rang me  from the USA to tell me and also that it had been sorted in minutes .At no point did they tell me to give any details or  to log into a link .When I logged in as usual to my PP account it had indeed had money removed and promptly paid back.So they were careful and on the ball 10 years ago .i never consider anything on the phone as real  unless I can confirm by an independent process .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use the call blocker from TrueCall which deals with all of these. For all unknown and withheld numbers, callers are asked to press 2 on their handset. Only genuine callers do this - automated callers of course don't. And for international calls the caller is asked to enter a 2-digit id which only my daughter's family in Australia know.  It blocks all of these calls - especially those from callers who spoof random numbers. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We use BT Call Guardian phones which have stopped virtually all unwanted calls getting through. It's sometimes a pain for first time callers, but it works. We have, very occasionally, received calls from our credit card provider to notify us of a possible "irregularity". Even if I believe it is genuine, I call back to a publicised number on a different phone line.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

True Call has proved to be an excellent device and message taker. My problem at the moment is that I am getting daft calls on my mobile and I can't work out how to block them and my new PC set up does not have the facility to block or report spam mails, just delete. I could get that fixed but I am tight fisted. It also blocks some emails from friends who I have listed as not Spam. can't win with this thing I'm typing on at the moment.

Phil