How Much of Your Stock Do You Actually Run/Use?

This feels like confession, I'm going to be brutally honest.

I don't own a layout, The last layout I built was when I lived with my parents some 8 years ago in the loft. What stock I did have then is mostly gone, having been replaced by newer, more modern stock. I have a huge 60ft long outbuilding that was built with my house extension purely to accommodate my long planned dream layout, it's been constructed nearly 2 years, and it's just full of boxes and non modelling related stored crap basically, it hasn't been touched.

I'm not a member of a club, there's not one local enough to me (that I'm aware of), so 95% of my 'collection' has never been ran, most of it hasn't been out of the box.

Over the years I've spent thousands on impulse purchases, that sit around for that one time I get the time to spend on creating this model railway vision I've had for the past couple of decades. I'll confess, somehow buying railway models, and railway modelling related clobber makes me feel better about the fact that I don't actually get around to doing any railway modelling, what an awfully depressing paradox when you think about it.

Yes, I'm an armchair modeller, not by design, but by circumstance (I'm self employed), I have a great amount of knowledge of how to do things, time spent doodling on the internet in a spare half hour will do that, but in practice very little experience actually doing it. Makes me feel a bit of a fraud really.

What really hits home is recently I had to value all my stock to get it all insured, the figures I came back with were startling, and I've done pretty much nothing with any of it, it's quite sad. And when I then have to take photos of 'how and where the insured items are stored', I look at the photos and get even more depressed at the situation.

One day soon things will change, I'll have a lot more time on my hands later this year as my business gets sold and handed over, I'll then be able to take a more casual line of work for a moderate income, and invest more of my time in the hobby that I love.  But until then, my modelling consists of admiring boxes....

IMG-4064-Medium.jpgIMG-4065-Medium.jpgIMG-4066-Medium.jpg

But they are lovely boxes.......

Like you I have an awful lot in boxes with only a small fraction getting a run....

I think that there might be a psychological issue to it... when I was a youngster in the 70’s and 80’s, I loved my train set and everything to do with the hobby.... unfortunately money was tight in those days and a new purchase was really only an occasional/annual luxury... I remember the excitement of my birthday or Christmas as that was the only time I got a new box....there was so much in the Hornby catalogue that I wanted, but just never could afford.... now 30/40 years later i’m Lucky I have some spare income, and seem to have amassed a fleet of loco’s/wagons/coaches that never really get any regular use.... I put it down to maybe over compensating for not being able to afford very much in my past...

• Like 5

Me and my dad have over 130 locos mostly mine and most with sound and loads of wagons and few coaches gotta couple sidings laid and a tmd laid I like to give everything a run but hate packing away but in all honesty not a lot we’ve had locos and wagons that have been out the box put a chip in and programmed but that’s it

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

Me and my dad have over 130 locos mostly mine and most with sound and loads of wagons and few coaches gotta couple sidings laid and a tmd laid I like to give everything a run but hate packing away but in all honesty not a lot we’ve had locos and wagons that have been out the box put a chip in and programmed but that’s it

Thats really hard to read with no puncutation

It all gets pulled out from time to time to gloat over, run, continue construction etc.

Running is hampered by lack of space and only having a small test track oval. It's radius of 15¾" (fibre based Trix) severely hampers what will run on it.

Not as much as perhaps I should. But I tend to try and put all my stock on the layout, except for old nostalgia stock like my Hornby Dunlop, or some of the early crude tri-ang stuff which is either in display cases or boxed.

Thats really hard to read with no puncutation

It really isn’t. He could have given lessons to TS Eliot in how to write comprehensible stream-of-consciousness. Unless your own punctuation-free comment was meant to be ironic and supportive?

Notice how I’m avoiding answering the OP’s question, for fear of incriminating myself? Let’s just say I keep looking at adverts from Hatton’s and Ellis Clark, among others, trying to work out who will take surplus stock off my hands with the least effort from me.

Paul

Guest teacupteacup

It really isn’t. He could have given lessons to TS Eliot in how to write comprehensible stream-of-consciousness. Unless your own punctuation-free comment was meant to be ironic and supportive?

Notice how I’m avoiding answering the OP’s question, for fear of incriminating myself? Let’s just say I keep looking at adverts from Hatton’s and Ellis Clark, among others, trying to work out who will take surplus stock off my hands with the least effort from me.

Paul

Got it in one ironic and supportive!

My own personal bugbear, but I do get a bee in my bonnet about poor punctuation, although I'm in no way perfect myself.

Going back on topic, I've just realised I also have a jinty and 12 assorted wagons put away for a tuning fork layout! The wagons are about 5cm in length each and the loco about 10cm - so that tuning fork is starting to look a lot longer than originally planned...

Edited by Ray Von

@NoelG (and with apologies to Benny Hill),

I came over all wubbery regarding your nostalgic comment in respect of Hornby Dunlop ;) .

(Well, I liked the typo anyway).

Cheers,

Philip

Really interesting reading this thread from the start. I can certainly relate to several different folk who have posted their reasoning/rationale for purchasing but never (or hardly ever) running items.

I’m quite interested in psychology and I think there’s definitely a big dopamine (the ‘happy’ drug you make in your head!) hit when buying something new, but it wears off when you get used to owning that item. The amount of money you paid for it can then become the issue, and guilt then sets in as you realise you didn’t really want/need it in the first place!

I was ‘in that place’ with my BR blue purchasing in OO, and as others have said, I bought stock that never came out of the box.

However over the last couple of years I’ve sold the entire OO collection and so transitioned from about 45 sound chipped locos in OO to 12 in O, with a similar proportional reduction in stock. I also joined a club which is about 60 miles away from home.

Sounds bonkers I know, but it has permanently set up systems in every scale up to G, you can visit whenever you like and have the place to yourself if you fancy going on a non-running weekday. So I visit about once every three weeks, but really look forward to going, and actually get excited about it as I figure out what to take for each visit! Suffice to say every loco gets at least three hours of running with various stock, including a club-based rake of 28 loaded O gauge mineral wagons which all the locos get a good go at!

It’s totally transformed my entire approach to the hobby and apart from the running time itself, I use the big roundy roundy layout to test CV settings, make a few notes on the phone, take some video, and then make adjustments at home on my stabling point ready for the next visit.

Hope this rather long winded story may inspire at least one person to take a fresh look at the hobby and perhaps join a club?

Best regards

Phil

• Like 2

@NoelG (and with apologies to Benny Hill),

I came over all wubbery regarding your nostalgic comment in respect of Hornby Dunlop ;) .

(Well, I liked the typo anyway).

Cheers,

Philip

Blasted iPad text correction 'Hornby Dublo' it was meant to be :) My blasted lexdysia missed it. Velly good :) 

Really interesting reading this thread from the start. I can certainly relate to several different folk who have posted their reasoning/rationale for purchasing but never (or hardly ever) running items.

I’m quite interested in psychology and I think there’s definitely a big dopamine (the ‘happy’ drug you make in your head!) hit when buying something new, but it wears off when you get used to owning that item. The amount of money you paid for it can then become the issue, and guilt then sets in as you realise you didn’t really want/need it in the first place!

I was ‘in that place’ with my BR blue purchasing in OO, and as others have said, I bought stock that never came out of the box.

However over the last couple of years I’ve sold the entire OO collection and so transitioned from about 45 sound chipped locos in OO to 12 in O, with a similar proportional reduction in stock. I also joined a club which is about 60 miles away from home.

Sounds bonkers I know, but it has permanently set up systems in every scale up to G, you can visit whenever you like and have the place to yourself if you fancy going on a non-running weekday. So I visit about once every three weeks, but really look forward to going, and actually get excited about it as I figure out what to take for each visit! Suffice to say every loco gets at least three hours of running with various stock, including a club-based rake of 28 loaded O gauge mineral wagons which all the locos get a good go at!

It’s totally transformed my entire approach to the hobby and apart from the running time itself, I use the big roundy roundy layout to test CV settings, make a few notes on the phone, take some video, and then make adjustments at home on my stabling point ready for the next visit.

Hope this rather long winded story may inspire at least one person to take a fresh look at the hobby and perhaps join a club?

Best regards

Phil

60 Miles away?? Let's be generous and assume that takes about 90 mins each way? For a three hour session. Every three weeks? Perhaps more often?

Not sure about that......my brother models 0 gauge (very well, in terms of his far superior modelling skills to mine) but has to travel about an hour each way every week, to his club, just across London (Southgate to Hillingdon), if he wants to see his beautiful creations actually move. He has decided enough is enough, and is going to buy a house with a larger shed or garage, so he can run his stock without losing so much time and spending so much money, just to have a layout available. He is rich enough to do this, having been a loco driver for 40 years....

Sounds excessive? I moved to France to have that kind of space available (although technically we moved for other reasons). I can just walk into my garden, or soon-ish, into my barn, to run my trains. Horses for courses, obviously. But definitely cheaper in the long run.

Another of our brethren on here, who has moved to be not far from me (although I remain unconvinced that this was his primary reason), who came for similar health reasons for his spouse, has also ensured the move was combined with a fortuitous purchase of an enormous shed, or old factory, so that his extensive, and well known, 0 gauge layout, could be erected and operated at will. He used to have to book the local church hall in Yorkshire, to ever glimpse anything running. Now, he just has to overcome French wiring history, and job's a good'un.

More than one way to skin a water vole. But that still does not mean any of us will run all our stock, over any given period, in a pathetic attempt to get back to the OP's topic.....

Right now 0% of my stock is used.

I don't have a layout or the space or time to build one, at the moment. I have been buying a few of the OO pre-group engines that appeal to me with view to building a layout one day. I'm certain that day will come. I just had a sense that I would never have the skill to build, let alone paint, pre-group locomotives. Since most (all?) are essentially limited editions I've bought them when they've been available. 

I contribute a little to a friends layout and enjoy some military modelling as well so I see this activity as developing skills for the future. I'd never dismiss anybody for whatever path they choose to take – we all have varying degrees of skill, commitment, time, space and money.

Edited by Anglian

60 Miles away?? Let's be generous and assume that takes about 90 mins each way? For a three hour session. Every three weeks? Perhaps more often?

Not sure about that......my brother models 0 gauge (very well, in terms of his far superior modelling skills to mine) but has to travel about an hour each way every week, to his club, just across London (Southgate to Hillingdon), if he wants to see his beautiful creations actually move. He has decided enough is enough, and is going to buy a house with a larger shed or garage, so he can run his stock without losing so much time and spending so much money, just to have a layout available. He is rich enough to do this, having been a loco driver for 40 years....

Sounds excessive? I moved to France to have that kind of space available (although technically we moved for other reasons). I can just walk into my garden, or soon-ish, into my barn, to run my trains. Horses for courses, obviously. But definitely cheaper in the long run.

Another of our brethren on here, who has moved to be not far from me (although I remain unconvinced that this was his primary reason), who came for similar health reasons for his spouse, has also ensured the move was combined with a fortuitous purchase of an enormous shed, or old factory, so that his extensive, and well known, 0 gauge layout, could be erected and operated at will. He used to have to book the local church hall in Yorkshire, to ever glimpse anything running. Now, he just has to overcome French wiring history, and job's a good'un.

More than one way to skin a water vole. But that still does not mean any of us will run all our stock, over any given period, in a pathetic attempt to get back to the OP's topic.....

Hi Mike

Thanks for reading and commenting on my post. To put some more ‘meat on the bones’ of my trek down to the club, it’s 90% motorway so usually takes about 65 minutes. My buddy and I take turns to drive so it’s not much of a chore at all.

I mentioned that each loco gets at least three hours running each trip... I didn’t actually say I’m only down there for three hours. I’ll usually take 4 locos and it’s a double track O gauge layout with two running at once so I’m actually ‘playing trains’ around 6 hours. Once that’s done, we then go to a decent curry house about five mins away, so it’s a proper day out!

Cheers

• Like 2

I guess another similar question would be whether you buy stock for use in the future?

A long time ago, I had an opportunity to buy a full MML set of coaches and power cars.  I did.  My current layout can barely fit 2 coaches + the 43s let alone 8!  Maybe one day though...

I had a recent flutter with 13 wagons.

No way would they fit my current layout, but perhaps in the future.

I have also very recently thought about Bachmanns S-Stock.

I'd not really have suitable space for the 4-car let alone an 8.  But should I buy all 8 coaches now for "future use"?

Many a question, no easy answer!

In the same boat there, what started off as a plan for a short, two-prong tuning fork layout (which is STILL at the materials gathering stage!) Is going to have to evolve somewhat to fit around the stock I've impulsively bought. I began with a rake of four 5 plank wagons of different ownership - then got to thinking "that's not much" and "they're all a bit similar", so I got a banana wagon for a bit of variety, then a guards van, then four more plank wagons...

Now, if I want to fit this rake (plus jinty) onto my two-prong tuning fork and manoeuvre it - I calculate that the overall length will need to be somewhere in the region 4' 6"!

And I started off with such modest ideas...

I guess another similar question would be whether you buy stock for use in the future?

I have purchased enough stock for my future 80’s/90’s/00’s/modern image layout set on a terminus station/Branchline/depot/industrial site/roundly round.... I haven’t quite decided what i’ll Build but seem to have acquired everything to cover all possibilities!

A long time ago, I had an opportunity to buy a full MML set of coaches and power cars.  I did.  My current layout can barely fit 2 coaches + the 43s let alone 8!  Maybe one day though...

No way would they fit my current layout, but perhaps in the future.

I have also very recently thought about Bachmanns S-Stock.

I'd not really have suitable space for the 4-car let alone an 8.  But should I buy all 8 coaches now for "future use"?

Many a question, no easy answer!

If the urge strikes, we should go for it. I have been much more controlled in such impulses over the past ten years, making sure that every item I purloined had some relevance to my planned retirement layout.

But if Bachmann, or someone, re-release the Northern Line 1938 stock, and even produce the 1967 stock, I will be a quivering wreck, especially if it is motorised and I don't have to resort to that motorising kit so long offered by ....(insert name of retailer here, as my brain has lost it). It is my one regret that I did not buy a rake or two of these at the time (having lived next to and daily used the Northern Line from the late 60's through to the late 70's). I just have the one Driving Trailer sitting forlornly on my mantlepiece as a constant reminder of my indecision.

Even more of a thought is the value of what I have ordered, but has yet to be paid for in the coming twelve months...and then there's the layout I'm building as well.

SWMBO is not to know under any circumstances - I am just grateful she can't operate my laptop!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not feeling too bad now. I actually ran a loco yesterday just to make sure that a couple of solenoid driven points that I'd set up didn't split under a passing loco. One of my many locos. One board out of nine (two not built yet, only 4 with track laid. 10 more existing point to power. It is no wonder I don't play trains. It has taken me nearly a year to get my mojo back, so I'm feeling lucky.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not feeling too bad now. I actually ran a loco yesterday just to make sure that a couple of solenoid driven points that I'd set up didn't split under a passing loco. One of my many locos. One board out of nine (two not built yet, only 4 with track laid. 10 more existing point to power. It is no wonder I don't play trains. It has taken me nearly a year to get my mojo back, so I'm feeling lucky.

Stick with it Phil. The forum throws up a lot of people in similar circumstances. I sometimes call it a sabbatical.

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Like 1