South Wales Colliery branch pictures. 1990s and now.

Great stuff Andy, thanks for posting these.

I always find it fascinating to compare old and new pictures, and to visit the site or track of old railway lines.

It is surprising sometimes how quickly all trace is removed or built over, while elsewhere much can still be found beneath the undergrowth many years later.

EDIT again - I think in the first photo 37697 is standing on the site of the former Trelewis Halt (closed 1964), I took a few pictures there in 1983

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

edit - I think in the first photo 37697 is standing on the site of the former Treharris station, I took a few pictures there in 1983

cheers

Hi Kevin. Yes I think you are probably correct. Treharris is the town there where Deep Navigation colliery was. It's good that you have 1980s pictures taken there. I only 'discovered' that location in about 1990 after seeing it feature in a Railscene video tape. I liked the track layout there, basically a passing loop with hand operated pointwork and various sidings. I think rakes of MGR hoppers were sometimes parked in some sidings off the Taff Merthyr line, behind where I stood to take the picture.

Hi Kevin. Yes I think you are probably correct. Treharris is the town there where Deep Navigation colliery was. It's good that you have 1980s pictures taken there. I only 'discovered' that location in about 1990 after seeing it feature in a Railscene video tape. I liked the track layout there, basically a passing loop with hand operated pointwork and various sidings. I think rakes of MGR hoppers were sometimes parked in some sidings off the Taff Merthyr line, behind where I stood to take the picture.

If I remember correctly the three collieries Deep Navigation, Taff Merthyr, and Trelewis Drift were referred to as the Ocean complex.

I think this photo is looking the other way, and taken from roughly the rear of the train being worked by 37697, it looks the remains of platform edging is visible in this view. EDIT - I think the station was Trelewis Halt (closed 1964).

post-7081-0-37790400-1547561928_thumb.jpg

37255 and 37300 with a loaded MGR train for Aberthaw from Deep Navigation colliery stand at the site of Trelewis Halt station, 24/5/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 7

Interesting in the mid 1980s they were using HKVs for coal https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/treharriscolliery

Paul

Hi Paul. Maybe  the HKVs were used for shale traffic to a tip called Nelson Bog which was about two miles from the mine. Here is that location in August 1991 with MDV 21 tonne mineral wagons in use.

attachicon.gif830.jpg

Great photo Andy, I never got to Nelson Bog.

Here is a picture taken I think as the same location as 37697 in the first photo, but looking the other way.

post-7081-0-73991500-1547573287_thumb.jpg

37251 with HKVs of colliery shale waits to depart for Nelson Bog, 24/5/83

cheers

• Like 9

Great photo Andy, I never got to Nelson Bog.

Here is a picture taken I think as the same location as 37697 in the first photo, but looking the other way.

attachicon.gifscan0011.jpg

37251 with HKVs of colliery shale waits to depart for Nelson Bog, 24/5/83

cheers

What a fantastic picture, Kevin. Full of interest. Many thanks indeed for posting that.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting. i visited Taff Merthyr some years earlier and took some photos. If I can find them and they are worth it I will add one or two to the thread.

The branch connecting Penallta Colliery to the Rhymney main line was known as the Cyllla branch. And don't confuse Penallta Colliiery with Penalltau Colliery which was a short distance to the west just north of the Pontypool Road to Neath line near Nelson & Llancaiach station ,but closed much earlier.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, PB1 said:

Hi unable to view the photos of South Wales Colliery branch pictures. 1990s and now.

Many images were lost in a server drive failure two years ago.

• RMweb Gold

We seem to be caught in a temporal causality loop.

Cheers

Darius

PS - nobody can see the pictures as they were all lost in an IT failure a few years ago.