RMweb

Class 26/27 photos

3 hours ago, keefer said:

Those 27s always seemed to be filthy - like the rear loco here, you'd often be hard put to see the lining or the painted window surrounds!

Have a feeling that rear loco was D5389 which was the only one in that variant of the livery with the small yellow panels.   

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Have a feeling that rear loco was D5389 which was the only one in that variant of the livery with the small yellow panels.   

If you mean blue syp then no, the nearest cabside would have had a BR logo on it instead of a number, the white stripe is visible across the top of the yellow panel and small areas of white are just discernible around the windows.......it really is a green one 'resprayed' matt brown by Mother Nature 😃!!

Edited by Halvarras
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 31/05/2023 at 13:49, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Tony Schumaker : a pair of 26s at (I think) Eastfield...

D53xxsTonySchumaker.jpg.23eeff6facffbe066cacb7b2ac08dd08.jpg

Going back a few months I know, but this is an interesting photo. One of each class, both in the same unusual livery with a full yellow end but plain body colour around the side windows.

I assume from the numbering style and lack of stripes that these are in blue, presumably an early variant? I guess there was a lot of variation in the number and logo placement as well as the amount of yellow, while the works got their heads round the new corporate livery.

Mol

I

Edited by Mol_PMB
Wrong picture appeared in quote, corrected now.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Bob Faulkner : D5374 at Wellingborough Shed on 7th August 1966...

D5374WBROBOBFAULKNER070866.jpg.9ff20191900ad802dbfd658caab689f0.jpg

That trailing wheelset is sitting in a lovely dip in the track, look how far out of parallel the bogie is to the body....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

26008 at Carlisle, date unknown but possibly mid to late 80s - I'm sure someone will have a better idea than I do! It's obviously had a door swap.img026b.jpg.a4780a80e02fc0bdca5dcb2f1703b658.jpg

Edit to add:

According to "Scotland's Diesel Fleet in Detail" 26008 had a bogie swap with rectangular footsteps by April 1984. In early 1985 it was reallocated to Inverness and received its black and yellow stag logos before being reallocated to Haymarket by April 1985 where it received castle logos.

For comparison: www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/8429693261

Can't work out what the replacement door might have come from though!

Edited by 60021 Pen-y-Ghent
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

img044.jpg.ada6235c26738ee5fa9524aa42d514bd.jpg

27003 (train) and 27004 Oban 12th July 1979

What does the CL on the corner of the Mk1 there mean?

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I'm sorry I have no idea but no doubt someone will know. Unfortunatley I didn't note any coach numbers at the time but it certainly wasn't a Composite Lavatory suburban coach!

Edited by 60021 Pen-y-Ghent
Change was to wasn't!!!

50 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

I'm sorry I have no idea but no doubt someone will know. Unfortunatley I didn't note any coach numbers at the time but it certainly was a Composite Lavatory suburban coach!

I'd doubt any suburban Mk1s ever made it up the West Highland Line and did all 'mainline' mk1s not have lavatories anyway? I dont think any didn't so wouldn't have thought it would need special labelling for that.

I could be wrong, but I think its just a standard open or compartment coach with the toilet and door that way round - the composites or brake composites had the doors to the outside of the toilet.

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

CL is the coaching stock depot code for Carlisle Upperby.

Regards 

Guy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'd doubt any suburban Mk1s ever made it up the West Highland Line and did all 'mainline' mk1s not have lavatories anyway? I dont think any didn't so wouldn't have thought it would need special labelling for that.

I could be wrong, but I think its just a standard open or compartment coach with the toilet and door that way round - the composites or brake composites had the doors to the outside of the toilet.

I meant to say wasn't not was!! I agree it was a standard open.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I’ve seen this CL marking on a few other photos of coaches on the WHL/Queen st. trains. I always thought it indicated a Cowlairs carriage sidings coach. I added this marking to a Mk1 BFK I made a few years ago.

Brian.

IMG_1142.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, turbos said:

I’ve seen this CL marking on a few other photos of coaches on the WHL/Queen st. trains. I always thought it indicated a Cowlairs carriage sidings coach. I added this marking to a Mk1 BFK I made a few years ago.

Brian.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Cowlairs makes more sense for a train in Oban than does Carlisle. Never noticed this kind of marker before though.

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Cowlairs makes more sense for a train in Oban than does Carlisle. Never noticed this kind of marker before though.

Carlisle MK1's got everywhere! GC was the depot coaching stock code for Glasgow Cowlairs.

Regards

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Having done some digging......... BEFORE October 1983 CL was indeed Glasgow Cowlairs.........so the branding on the stock in the 70s would have referred indeed to Cowlairs. When Cowlairs closed the CL was transferred to Carlisle Upperby. 

My bad! Every day a school day! 

Regards 

Guy 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1