Class 26/27 photos

Some more details. Below.

I've just ordered a copy, £30 plus £6.50 p and p.  You email books@sdeg.info to get details how to order.

Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s
Compiled by Andrew Donnelly
SDEG Scottish Diesel and Electric Group
This is the first volume in a planned series produced and supported by SDEG members, with Scotland’s Diesel in Detail: Class 26s provides detailed notes on each member of the class 26 fleet, aimed at assisting modellers of the 1980s and 1990s. It is intended neither as a pure photo album, or a full history of the class and their operations over 35 years of service, nor a book to read from start to finish in one go, but rather as a useful reference source when working on class 26 model projects or for general interest in the class. The original intention was to concentrate on members of the class which received a Heavy General Overhaul (HGO) between late 1981 and 1986, but this was expanded to cover all of the class which survived into the 1980s, as well as some brief notes on the earlier withdrawals from the 1970s.
The sheer number of detail and livery variations carried by the class 26s can never be illustrated in a single book such as this, but the aim is to provide information for the modeller and pointers which can be subsequently used when searching internet-based resources, for example. The book features a general review of the class, focused on the 1980s and up to 1993, when the final examples were withdrawn and a short section highlighting the main detail variations referred to in the subsequent text. It then takes a detailed look at the 33 members of the class which received HGOs, divided into the class 26/0s & 26/1s, being interspersed with a section covering the other examples withdrawn by or during the early 1980s. Each loco entry starts with notes covering the period from their last overhaul in the late 1970s or early 1980s, subsequent HGO refurbishment and then reviews events and changes over the following years up until withdrawal.
Scotland’s Diesel in Detail: Class 26s consists of 100 pages in 25cm x 25cm format, over 100 photos and nearly 35,000 words. A hardback, gloss cover has been chosen, along with silk finish pages and a blue marker ribbon. Compilation has taken many months of work with valuable contributions from various SDEG members and a number of excellent contacts and friends of the group. The text has been reviewed from a technical perspective by those with considerable experience of the class, as well as extensive proof-reading. The book has been prepared using professional publishing software, assisted by a design professional in creating the layout and eye-catching cover design.
A second book, covering Scottish class 47/4s of the 1980 to 1995 period is in final preparation to the same specification and design and will be released later this year.
The Class 26 book, available now, has been self-funded and published by SDEG, through whom purchasing details, prices and distribution can be obtained at www.sdeg.info

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Email sent requesting to order too! 
thanks for the heads up. 
Did I see somewhere that SDEG have also have published a book about Eastfield. (I’m not on Facebook)

I am not sure about an Eastfield book although I kind of rings a bell.

I may have been SDEG or possibly one if their members.

If I can find anything I'll post it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have just received my copy of 'Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s'.

I've only had chance to have a brief look at the book so far, but it is a high quality publication. There are lots of excellent close up detail photos of the class with explanations of the function of the areas on show. There are some fascinating shots of the class at work and the pictures are clear and sharp. The text appears to have a wealth of information on every individual member of the class 26's. If you have an interest in 26's  and modelling Scottish railways in the diesel era I would highly recommend you purchase this book. (By the way, I have no connection with the SDEG, other than as a happy customer... :) )

Many thanks to all at the SDEG for producing this publication. Incidentally, I placed my order and paid for the book on March 2nd and it arrived in the wilds of Wales this morning, March 4th - excellent service!

Edited by JohnH

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

I have just received my copy of 'Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s'.

I've only had chance to have a brief look at the book so far, but it is a high quality publication. There are lots of excellent close up detail photos of the class with explanations of the function of the areas on show. There are some fascinating shots of the class at work and the pictures are clear and sharp. The text appears to have a wealth of information on every individual member of the class 26's. If you have an interest in 26's  and modelling Scottish railways in the diesel era I would highly recommend you purchase this book. (By the way, I have no connection with the SDEG, other than as a happy customer... :) )

Many thanks to all at the SDEG for producing this publication. Incidentally, I placed my order and paid for the book on March 2nd and it arrived in the wilds of Wales this morning, March 4th - excellent service!

John, thank you very much for your kind comments!

This project has been discussed by SDEG members for a number of years now, reflecting the core interests of the group as regards modelling of the 1980s/90s, hence seeing what we hope will be a useful and interesting reference book on the class 26s coming to fruition has been very rewarding. As a step into new territory, we are of course relieved at the positive reaction being turned into sales in order to recoup the costs of this edition. A further print run seems likely, whilst we are aiming to publish the volume on ‘Classic’ Scottish class 47/4s by early summer. Two further editions are in preparation, covering the highly-popular Steam Heat class 37s and the iconic class 47/7s and Push-Pull sets.

As we have noted here and on social media platforms, the reaction has been very encouraging with 75% of the initial print run being sold in the week following the first public announcements! These copies are now being despatched to purchasers and we hope to be up to date with all orders placed and paid for early in the coming week.

Should you wish to order a copy of the class 26s edition, please drop us a line and we will process this as quickly as we can. Similarly, if you have any queries, please let us know.

Thank you for your interest and support!

• Like 3

The initial print run of the class 26 edition has now sold out! A big thank you to all purchasers for your support. A second print run has been actioned and we expect delivery of these during the week commencing 21st March. We can still take orders, but these will only be available for shipment towards the end of this month.

• Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update, given the rmweb outage.

The first print run of the class 26s book was sold out within a week, so a second run was delivered soon afterwards and has also been selling well. There are copies still available, so please drop an email to books@sdeg.info and we will reply with ordering details.

Reaction has continued to be overwhelmingly positive, for which I am grateful for. The plan is to launch the next book in the series, covering the Scottish class 47/4s, in June. This is essentially ready for printing with some final adjustments and checking being made. We have taken the decision to expand this volume to 110 pages given the quantity of material. Should all go well, the one after that will be 'ScotRail Express' - the 47/7s and Push-Pull sets - by the end of this year. This latter one is proving a really interesting one to produce and one that I hope will be of interest.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by David Ward-Nalen : an unidentified Cricklewood 27 at Maiden Lane 'box near c.1964...

1593269295_D53XXMAIDENLANEBOXSIGNALLERDAVIDWARD-NALEN1964ST.PANCRAS.jpg.87e554a5551d2159f1446da6cb529e47.jpg

Is that on the bridge over the Midland mainline Nidge? 

• RMweb Gold

The bridge over the Midland main line had quite a few sidings on it, as well as the North London lines.

Could it be that train has just past through Camden Road station and is crossing Baynes St, seen below

the first two vans and the loco is just on the bridge over St Pancras Way?

Where would the train be going? Normally freights to and from the SR to Brent or Cricklewood would go

via the Dudding Hill line to Acton Wells Junction. I wondered if it had been diverted?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

The bridge over the Midland main line had quite a few sidings on it, as well as the North London lines.

Could it be that train has just past through Camden Road station and is crossing Baynes St, seen below

the first two vans and the loco is just on the bridge over St Pancras Way?

Where would the train be going? Normally freights to and from the SR to Brent or Cricklewood would go

via the Dudding Hill line to Acton Wells Junction. I wondered if it had been diverted?

Did the overhead wires go into maiden lane?

• RMweb Gold

I`ve searched Google images to see if any photos of Maiden Lane with overhead wires exist. One photo, which

appears to have been taken from the box, shows a class 86 entering  York Way freightliner terminal. The photo had

a link to a Facebook page entitled "The British Rail Story". I scrolled down and found a small collection of photos,

taken by a Mike Townsend, all taken around Maiden Lane. It would appear, from the photos, that the wires went as

far as the freightliner terminal. Some of the photos appear to have been taken before the wires went up, some with

the wires up and some later ones suggesting the wires may have been removed prior to the closure of the terminal 

in 1971. A lot of container traffic had transferred to Willesden FLT. I wonder if York Way was served by a local trip

working before complete closure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You’d never guess they have white stripes - seems to be a result of coal dust and the cleaning regime for freight locos on most of the ML allocated 27s!! 

Patch cleaned numbers and electrification notices!! 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1