Class 26/27 photos

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting photos there Nige.

I've had a quick scan through Modern Railways, and there are a couple of workings with BRCW type 2s noted in this period.

• 1st Feb 1963 D5382+5385 heading south through Purley on special coal working.
  • Easter Sunday 1963 D5381 on a Bedford to Brighton excursion, which it worked throughout

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

i think that counts as a pretty rare pic: While still LMR-allocated, a consecutively numbered pair of  Brush Type 2s in multiple and with the gangways in use!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keefer said:

i think that counts as a pretty rare pic: While still LMR-allocated, a consecutively numbered pair of  Brush Type 2s in multiple and with the gangways in use!

Rocking horse Droppings and hens teeth combined!!

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Brush Type 2s ???????????????

Never, they are BRCW type 2s. Please don't insult our locos from East Anglia!

Had the Brush Type 2s been re-engined when the photo of the BRCW Type 2s was taken? If not, then surely any insults are fully justified…

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Brush Type 2s ???????????????

Never, they are BRCW type 2s. Please don't insult our locos from East Anglia!

12 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I didn't say they were Brush Type 2s....

I think @stewartingram was referring to this post:

On 24/12/2021 at 21:47, keefer said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I think I've read that the Co-Bo is the only loco left with intact, working corridor connections. Can anyone confirm this? Do any other locos still have them?

I've heard that too, I can't think of any other loco that might have them . It must have been policy to remove them even if the doors remain.  D5061 doesn't have them and don't think 5500 does either 

I can't think of any other locos with doors except 37s but when air brake equipment was added both nose ends had extra equipment added which took up space of the gangways

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, keefer said:

Sorry guys my mistake, brain fart moment! Should've just called them 27s :)

As has been alluded to in other posts, they’re at Thornaby because D5370-8 were allocated there from new until Jan 66 when they moved to the LMR, shared between Leicester and Nottingham Divisions of the Midland Lines and stayed for several years till the mass move to Scotland from 1969 ish onwards. 

Non boiler fitted from new and thus with a distinct lack of equipment between the bogies, these are easily identified in photos - which begs the question why the nose connections were actually in use on what were, nominally, freight locos…

Edited by MidlandRed
auto correct inaccuracies
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2021 at 01:43, MidlandRed said:

As has been alluded to in other posts, they’re at Thornaby because D5370-8 were allocated there from new until Jan 66 when they moved to the LMR, shared between Leicester and Nottingham Divisions of the Midland Lines and stayed for several years till the mass move to Scotland from 1969 ish onwards. 

Non boiler fitted from new and thus with a distinct lack of equipment between the bogies, these are easily identified in photos - which begs the question why the nose connections were actually in use on what were, nominally, freight locos…

Training possibly?  I know from my recent experience learning to drive trains that you are taught everything a piece of traction can do which includes those things you will never do in a month of Sunday's but because it is on the training schedule and part of the overall competency, you get taught it anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2022 at 14:33, Rugd1022 said:

Photographer unknown : D5414 approaching Peterborough East on 2nd May 1964.... which begs the question, did the train originate from Rugby Midland, Market Harborough or somewhere else entirely....?

1019077966_LR12.52pm-ex-Leicester-Train-approaching-Peterborough-East-Class-27-D5414-02-05-1964-processed.jpg.322693f1c6c406b5ee4d8c2d4338147a.jpg

I think these trains originated in Leicester, heading north initially via Melton Mowbray, then via Oakham and Ketton to Helpston Jn. Here's D5414 again, at Ketton on what is described as 2M59 Peterborough - Leicester.

D5414 (27043) Ketton

Edited by stovepipe
Photo
  • Like 10