New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

7 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

One suggestion, as if you haven't enough already Andy, can we have a link to the forum home at the top of each page please?

It's there already, in what I call the 'where am I?' line.

rmweb-nav-line.png.11105321955e87fa597f3e3bd9201d13.png

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

October 2009.

The other milestone is that come March RMweb will have been within Warners' ownership as long is was in mine. 7 years each.

Perhaps you deserve a day off then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

October 2009.

Wow, is it really that long? 

I've just checked, I joined in September 2008, so just within the 'old' software version.  I do remember the change to the 'community' tag, but I could have sworn it was more recent than that.

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

Regards

Moxy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If I may add a tip?

For those of us who have 'Location' in our profile, you've probably noticed the sofware shows 'LocationTownname' all as one word.  If you want to separate it, edit 'Location' to ':[space]Townname' then it will show correctly.  The software doesn't seem to accept '[space]Townname' without the punctuation. (I know, I've tried).

HTH

Moxy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Whoopee! All the photos in my workbench topic are back now!

Yes, the indexing is getting there. Last night my pics were revived back to 2016. It's got as far back as 2014 as of this morning.

All we need is a little....

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You made it clear that RMweb wasn't meeting your high standards for a web forum and you were off elsewhere. As I said in my reply, it gave me an opportunity to try the new admin tools on an account apparently no longer required. Be glad I opted for a few hours of moderation and didn't  push the new "Hide the body" button...

I only suggested that I was thinking of looking elsewhere. I don't think Tesco throws their customer out when s/he wonders about the price of peas in Asda. :)

In any case another of my Posts is still HIDDEN. I can't see any any numbers on Posts so I can refer you to its so this is the perfectly innocuous question again

I now know how to create an Activity Stream but I can's see how to delete the ones I don't want?

In one of the Posts in this Topic there was a reference to FAQs but I can't find them, so sorry if this question is answered in the FAQs

Thanks.

...R

After 48 hours of the new forum basically all the information and knowledge is still here. It has a different look and there are new ways to learn to access that material.

Some functions are not on the new forum, which is sad, and some have reduced functionality. Some may come as Andy fine tunes it all, and the indexing is completed.

There are no doubt new features that will prove very useful, and of course the new software running the forum will give increased security.

I can’t say I like the new look, and there is a bit of a millennial chat room feel (I presume), a lot seems based on the latest posts. Round icons are very Google/Apple and strangely cameras don’t take round photos. A big plus is no Comic Sans as far as I can see – just see what Charlie Brooker says about those who use that typeface! I agree.

For those who have lost a lot of threads from their followed content you can access it all through ‘Mange Followed Content’ from user drop-down at the top right of the screen. Hopefully when indexing is complete this will work more like the old version of ‘Content I Follow’. The button for this at the top right is really good, and personally I find ‘Activity Streams’ simply annoying, I would probably rather just search through Google, but that is personal choice.

I presume that the number of views a thread has was lost in the transfer to the new software, but if that could be implemented it would be a plus. For the fine-tuning category and not essential for getting the forum working again though.

I also presume that there is some way of receiving notices of likes to one’s posts which no doubt I will discover at some point.

As a Windows user I suspect that most of the changes are in the style of the forum, but from what I have read the functionality for users of other devices is likely to be improved, as is the access to other websites particularly for image hosting.

Not sure if I missed an announcement that the forum was going to change so much and I think missing that may have triggered mine, and many others resentment to the initial change.

No one is going to like everything in a change, and since we get this forum for free we can’t expect Andy to go and commission custom new software to look like the old forum but with new security and functionality.

Andy has done a lot of work, received a lot of abuse and a lot also a lot of congratulations. I presume that given the target market for Rmweb that is expected, I know a lot of users resist change and use RMweb as a refuge from the real world.

So RMweb is still here, it is still a library of knowledge and a site for help, and we will all adjust to how it works…...   until the next big software change when we can all have a good moan again.

So thanks for keeping it here and running it Andy.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

I only suggested that I was thinking of looking elsewhere. I don't think Tesco throws their customer out when s/he wonders about the price of peas in Asda. :)

In any case another of my Posts is still HIDDEN. I can't see any any numbers on Posts so I can refer you to its so this is the perfectly innocuous question again

Thanks.

...R

When Tesco have a power cut in a store, a customer threatening to go to Asda because they don't like the selection in the freezer aisle doesn't warrant much attention from the man poking around the fuse box. Their focus is getting the lights back on.

And no one has "thrown you out", you said you wanted to go. You are welcome to stay, but right at the moment you are NOT the most important person here, there are bigger fish to fry. It's not like you have given a specific issue that can be investigated, just a general moan. We know stuff isn't working and gradually the situation is being resolved. Wondering about the price of peas in Asda is fine, but does everyone need to be told? No. Unless you are hoping for a reaction. 

Stay calm and everything will eventually be OK.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Robin2 said:

I now know how to create an Activity Stream but I can's see how to delete the ones I don't want?

In one of the Posts in this Topic there was a reference to FAQs but I can't find them, so sorry if this question is answered in the FAQs

...R

The FAQs are a separate thread in this topic, you can find them here:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One thing that I have just noticed. I have Adblock but I disabled it on RMweb and a few other 'free' sites but is live on this site and I can't find how to disable it.

It's not something like having the old HTTP:\\ address instead of HTTPS:\\ is it?

Edit - ignore that, just checked my own Adblock settings and it is only domain based, not including the http/https part in the whitelist.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Y said:

I chose if from the options available as the clearest to read, during the week I may prep some samples for discussion but no-one will agree on the best.

Andy I disagree !

I would agree that you had chosen the best if you agreed that my choice was best and chose it, others might disagree that my choice was best, but that is their choice  !  :lol:

Hat coat. . . . . Pub

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Open Sans is indeed very clear to read, Andy.

Not for me it isn't, it's far too thin and spindly. Coupled with the grey colour instead of black, I have to zoom the page up to read anything.

I know everyone's device and eyesight is different, but I can't understand why to use grey instead of solid black for plain text. That could be changed at least.

I changed this line to black in the text colour formatting. It's quite a lot clearer, not so much because of the darker colour, but because it removes most of the anti-alias fringing.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

image.png.7a10a034502f4e7e58ed7d4e3f912d3c.png

Can't say I can see much difference here. Be thankful it's not defaulted to italic font. ;) 

It's always going to be a tricky balance catering for every single persons viewing deficiencies. For example, I cannot read white text on black background that some sites have for more than about 20 seconds without getting some sort of retina burn-in and black/white stripes in my vision when I look away from the screen.

On a positive note, that was nice, I took a screenshot and pasted it straight in to this reply, no need to save as a file and then upload any more. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

It's there already, in what I call the 'where am I?' line.

Its usual name is the "breadcrumbs", as in leaving a breadcrumb trail behind you. :)

see: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/breadcrumbs-in-web-design-examples-and-best-practices/

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
grammar

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have the same issue, I have to reset my  password every time. I have tried different computers (including a freshly set up iPad) and browsers, no change. Doesn’t seem cookie related. 

I am sure it will get sorted in time. 

Roy

Not sure then Roy. When you guys are logging back in the second time how are you doing it ? If you are using an excisting bookmark, favorates or speedial that might be whats causing the problem ?  Any bookmark favorates or speedial pre forum upgrade will be looking for the old site and login details not the new ones. Try opening the browser. . Google Rmweb (at the moment google will probably still pull up an old page due to the number of hits but that wont matter)  click on the Rmweb home site and you should get to the home page. ..click on the sign in UNTICK the remember me and sign in ( If it doesn't accept the password change it and sign in) now DONT leave the page but sign out and try signing back in again if that works then bingo. . Create a NEW bookmark favorates or speeddial  and that should take you to where you need to be. . If not head for the pub !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those having trouble with repeated logging in, even after clearing cookies, might like to try increasing the memory allocation for their browser, or clearing some other history content too.

Often after a lot of use a browser is banging against the memory limit, and there isn't room to store all the cookies a site may want to set.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have to say I like the new email notifications. The previous software spammed you with an email per notification, but now they are sorted into threads per subject as below:

But having worked out how to default a filtered new content list (thanks to whoever it was that pointed it out) I may use that instead more in future.

IMG_20190203_123219.png.695c6273f83fcf9c1fb85bbfb3688444.png

13 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Not sure then Roy. When you guys are logging back in the second time how are you doing it ? If you are using an excisting bookmark, favorates or speedial that might be whats causing the problem ?  Any bookmark favorates or speedial pre forum upgrade will be looking for the old site and login details not the new ones. Try opening the browser. . Google Rmweb (at the moment google will probably still pull up an old page due to the number of hits but that wont matter)  click on the Rmweb home site and you should get to the home page. ..click on the sign in UNTICK the remember me and sign in ( If it doesn't accept the password change it and sign in) now DONT leave the page but sign out and try signing back in again if that works then bingo. . Create a NEW bookmark favorates or speeddial  and that should take you to where you need to be. . If not head for the pub !

Thanks for that. I followed your instructions (above) to the letter, deleting existing bookmark etc etc. Exactly the same problem, so it looks like I'm off to the pub then. Nice day in Norfolk, so hardly a chore.

Having to do the "forgot password" thing every time I want to log in is becoming tedious now. I know I said I'd bu$$er off for a day or two, but it is hard to stay away!

I'm almost tempted to sign up for a new account, but I'm loathe to lose my username, profile and posting history.

Martin's suggestion (above) does nothing in my case.

I'm gonna put the dog on the lead and head for the Red Barn Inn.

I'll come back and try signing in again later <sigh>.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Moxy said:

If I may add a tip?

For those of us who have 'Location' in our profile, you've probably noticed the sofware shows 'LocationTownname' all as one word.  If you want to separate it, edit 'Location' to ':[space]Townname' then it will show correctly.  The software doesn't seem to accept '[space]Townname' without the punctuation. (I know, I've tried).

HTH

Moxy

Very good tip but for numpties like me assuming that was an insert code you don't actually type the code as shown [space] but type a blank space (or similar) after the colon.  Townname is replaced by your text. If this tip isn't in the FAQ could someone add it.

Edited by john new
Spelling error.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

I know everyone's device and eyesight is different, but I can't understand why to use grey instead of solid black for plain text. That could be changed at least.

I changed this to line to black in the text colour formatting. It's quite a lot clearer, not so much because of the darker colour, but because it removes most of the anti-alias fringing.

Wow, with my eyesight/glasses/display that is so much clearer. I didn’t even know I had a “problem” but looking from the black to the grey I notice I’m continually trying to refocus!

I did end up with eye fatigue last night, although I can’t necessarily pin that on the RMWeb upgrade after spending a lot of the day reading on my Kindle. I may just have reached that age where I need to be put out of my misery:unsure:

• Like 1