New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry Andy but I'm really not happy !  I went to the office to volunteer to clean up after all your hard work. . But someone had eaten all the cakes !  When are you going to buy some more ?   And PLEASE stop banging your head off that brick wall, your denting it :lol:   keep up the good work mate, it will soon settle down ^_^

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, N15class said:

Is the link to new posts always going to go to the threads first post as this is a nightmare. 

Hi

Click the little black dot rather than the title then it will take you to the last unread post.

Alternatively you could set this option

Cheers

Paul

Capture.JPG

Edited by PaulCheffus
Found option to default to the last item
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yep, more mousewheel miles needed at the moment. I hope to restore that when I've got my head around more bits.

Try your Home button on the keyboard or Fn+Home.

Click the mouse wheel instead of rolling it. Then move the mouse. The page will accelerate rapidly to the top or bottom. Works great, on Firefox at least.

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MJI said:

I have not seen any rudes ones, lots of comments but no rudeness

Really? Perhaps your perception of what constitutes rudeness is different to mine. So just trashing other people's hard work for - what? isn't rudeness? If I were on the receiving end I would be offended. It seems a number of people agree with me.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Every time I visit on my Android Mobile I have to log in but it always says Display Name not found, each time this being resolved by a password reset

Is this a bug at your end or mine?

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have you seen those red and orange things? Or read all of the paragraphs in my OP?

Yes, but the top banners do only address specific functions none of which are issue for me.

I had skipped the activity steams as it seems to over complicate what was a very simple and useful function.

I will see if the functionality of the forum settles down. It would be a pity to have to resort to using Google to access the forum if it become impossible to list areas of interest in simple and useable way.

It might be that once the indexing is complete it returns to its old functionality. I will come back tomorrow and see how it is working

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

Hello,

Could you please  let the forum know when the following is supposed to be fixed ?

This seems to be the most annoying issue to me at present.

Cheers,

Previously uploaded image attachments not displaying
In posts made before the upgrade where any image attachments are uploaded currently you may see something like [attachment=1093445:p001_BRMFeb19 4.75.jpg]. I have been advised that when all of the indexing is carried out these should correct themselves. Post owners can go into Edit the post and they should see all of the attachments below the text editor box and they can re-insert them into the post - this would rely on the post owner revisiting and editing the post so patience would be needed there!

Think you’ve answered your own question there. Andy has commented that the indexing is taking a LONG time, and says in your green highlight that it should correct itself when the indexing is complete.

EDIT: Sorry, managed to skip a page so hadn’t seen Andy had replied!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Is this a bug at your end or mine?

Not sure; do you have the means to clear any browser cookies on the phone and try again? The more I'm hearing I think there's an issue with old cookies and the new software causing conflicts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Click the mouse wheel instead of rolling it. Then move the mouse. The page will accelerate rapidly to the top or bottom. Works great, on Firefox at least.

Martin.

Thanks, doesn't help on a Tablet device though.

Another fault possibly.  Or just hasnt kicked on yet.

Im unable to create a "Content Feed".

Really I just want to recreate the "View New Content" so I can just easily browse all topics and posts since I last visited, but it doesnt actually save the choices I make when I hit save.

And a definite thumbs down from me regarding the lack of pages in topic listings.  Things like continuously scrolling pages start slowing down loading times and make it very hard to judge just how many 'pages' you have to sort through.  Not to mention some mobile browsers tend to jump back to page top when going between tabs, thus making it near impossible to go through a long list.  I hope this can be changed as the old software definitely had both at times.  You could load more content into that page OR leave that page and go to the next one.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DIW said:

Andy, the mobile version of the Like etc buttons gets a thumbs up from me!

Just a note, I am not seeing any like buttons etc on the mobile version on an iPad. Also, it may be right, but it’s showing me a max size for files of 9.77MB, which seems an odd size! Andy Y - no need to reply unless you really want to, just feeding back info that may/may not help!

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Spitfire2865 said:

And a definite thumbs down from me regarding the lack of pages in topic listings.  Things like continuously scrolling pages start slowing down loading times and make it very hard to judge just how many 'pages' you have to sort through.  Not to mention some mobile browsers tend to jump back to page top when going between tabs, thus making it near impossible to go through a long list.  I hope this can be changed as the old software definitely had both at times.  You could load more content into that page OR leave that page and go to the next one.  

Interesting ... I know I am on a mobile view, being on an iPad,, but i’ve no continuously scrolling pages in topic listings or topic sections ... just usual page numbers with next/prev which reload the page as on the old site.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Just a note, I am not seeing any like buttons etc on the mobile version on an iPad. Also, it may be right, but it’s showing me a max size for files of 9.77MB, which seems an odd size! Andy Y - no need to reply unless you really want to, just feeding back info that may/may not help!

Rich

I can see the Thumbs Up icon on an Android tablet.

I set a limit of 10MB for post content (as I had to get rid of a lot of very large files!) so it's shrunk in the wash.

• RMweb Premium

Thumbs up so far!

On the old site when I went to view unread content it was offered up 20 or so items at a time. Now it's a long list with "show more" button. Is there a way or limiting the number of unread items per page - I'd rather click a previous/next button rather than scroll up and down?

When the upgrade's completed could you look at the width used for "recent status updates" etc? They're wider than they were  - 33% of screen width compared to 20% ish before?

Steven B

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Interesting ... I know I am on a mobile view, being on an iPad,, but i’ve no continuously scrolling pages in topic listings or topic sections ... just usual page numbers with next/prev which reload the page as on the old site.

On desktop, topic listings are showing as a continuous page with a "load more content" button at the bottom which just expands the page downward.  

On mobile Im getting the same. "load more content", not page options

Great to see RMweb back, thanks to all those involved in its development. Of course it looks and works differently but I'm sure that once we get used to it we will forget it was ever anything else. Having sorted RMweb, can the team please have a go at Brexit now ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, Steven B said:

They're wider than they were  - 33% of screen width compared to 20% ish before?

I'm reviewing that when I've looked at various pages across multiple devices.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Great to see RMweb back, thanks to all those involved in its development. Of course it looks and works differently but I'm sure that once we get used to it we will forget it was ever anything else. Having sorted RMweb, can the team please have a go at Brexit now ?

Behave. . He may work miracles but he's not God :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Unread content and time period set to last visit gives the same result presumably as show new content did previously. Is there a way to cut down on what is displayed. Currently shows

New forum software

MarshLane replied to Andy Y's topic in Forum Rules, Notices, Faults & Help

Just a note, I am not seeing any like buttons etc on the mobile version on an iPad. Also, it may be right, but it’s showing me a max size for files of 9.77MB, which seems an odd size! Andy Y - no need to reply unless you really want to, just feeding...

Just now

163 replies

which takes up a lot of space and the first two lines would be sufficient IMO, When you get to the end of the few messages it has retrieved their is a wait for it load more (like Rails painful to use web site); on one occasion it jumped back to the start. Took 10 minutes to view the headings of the  limited number of new postings their currently are;how long it will be when the forum is back to full use?

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I can see the Thumbs Up icon on an Android tablet.

I set a limit of 10MB for post content (as I had to get rid of a lot of very large files!) so it's shrunk in the wash.

I think you must have set 10,000 KB.

(= 9.766 MB)

p.s. If the system is forcing you set KB, you need to set 10,240 KB for 10 MB.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
p.s. added
  • Thanks 1

Good day Andy,

some points -whilst I get used to finding out how this works!

1. Seems a bit slow to respond - I never measured the old site response times but they always seemed ok - however this one definitely thinks before responding - and it isnt my hardware or link - they havent changed, and it is not apparent on other totally unrelated sites - is this a bedding in issue, or in this case a function of the number of people using the site?

2. When I open a page for a new forum or even the title page, or the "products" heading pages the first thing displayed is a skeleton type list almost like a stripped down index of page items list - . and this is repeated at the individual forum leve. E.G. l The first time I for instance opened the Hattons/Hornby/Heljan forums (fora?) the same thing happened - it only flashes up momentarily before then displaying the appropriate opening screen - but displaying this must slow things down.

2. There used to be a post number at top right (IIRC) - where has it moved to? apologies but can't see for the looking  (this prompted by a reference to a post 436 on the Peco EM track forum)

• RMweb Gold

For those finding it too bright on a widescreen PC, you could try this:

1. right-click on the RMweb logo at the top of the page.

2. click Open in New Window

3. Restore Down on the new window and resize it to a narrow width. It will automatically convert to the mobile view, and you can leave it on the screen alongside your regular work if you wish.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1