Barham Sidings - 2005 GEML in OO-SF

Southwich

Hi all,

I have started drawing up plans for an 8ft x 1.5ft modern image layout based on Barham Sidings near Ipswich. I have utilised modeller's license to alter the track plan to have a slight curve for a bit more operational interest:

final_barham1.pdf

The idea being the stone train enters on the left hand board, crosses over and reverses back into the reception sidings.

The main interest will of course be the stone sidings; being served by a mixture of Cavalex PGAs/Dapol HIAs and Bachmann JGAs from Freightliner and EWS respectively. I wanted to create a sense of depth with the layout so plan on using an ID back scene mixed with farm buildings made from a Walthers kit. Hopefully this will trick the eye into thinking the layout is deeper than it actually is! I have put together the three barn kits and started cladding the outside - going for a "weather board" look. At the moment I'm just trailing the technique - I think it will work but needs some slight adjustments before I cover all three buildings:

IMG_9723.jpeg.312488739b2edb39653c55a2075f3e5e.jpeg

I have also made a start on the track work - made from C&L track components. The mainline cross over to allow the stone trains to reverse into the sidings is a bit of a beast:

IMG_9823.jpg.1a8b2c1e6df5554a93b11c0ebf5bf5a6.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg.1ce1e5f1a3acbdf5902091d5cf1fbbcb.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg.aeb6f5b7f51edf9f3a1e39fa1312454a.jpg

IMG_9815.jpg.d3d4dccb45b6d06192618ed6bee66dbf.jpg

Finally some real life photos courtesy of Flickr:

15857981899_1ecbc10b5b_b.jpg321 438 & 321 235 speed soutwards towards Ipswich, with a Norwich - London Liverpool Street service. 17 12  2014 by pnb511, on Flickr

9120425666_c645051ace_k.jpg66526 Barham 170613 by Neil Downing, on Flickr

17889347505_b443dd9a65_k.jpgCondensate tanks at Barham by Robert Pigott, on Flickr

I am aiming to model the small embankment as seen here on the far side of the layout:

20011948790_076da85cba_k.jpg66075 departs Claydon loop by Robert Pigott, on Flickr

I would be really interested in any feedback as well as any photos anybody may have of the real location!

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich
  • Like 7

Been following you on Instagram for a while. good this layout on here now, the points are looking really good 

living along this mainline it will be very interesting to see how this layout develops and i will be following with great interest

All the best 

Matt

Edited by Flacky

On 05/02/2019 at 21:54, beast66606 said:

Join the Facebook Group Anglia Gen - there's a guy on there who frequents Barham

Thanks for the heads up beast - I have done so; very helpful!

On 06/02/2019 at 00:06, Arpleymodeller said:

Looks like a great layout idea and will be following this with much interest! Love the hand built track and looking forward to the 60s being featured! 

Regards 

Lewis 

Thanks Lewis much appreciated! Can't wait to get a 60 shunting some PGAs - none of this 66 nonsense!

On 06/02/2019 at 08:14, Flacky said:

Been following you on Instagram for a while. good this layout on here now, the points are looking really good 

living along this mainline it will be very interesting to see how this layout develops and i will be following with great interest

All the best 

Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt - I'm eager to get on with the layout but unfortunately work has other ideas at the moment!

On 06/02/2019 at 08:28, njee20 said:

Sounds great to me, watching with interest. 

Thank you very much for the interest!

On 06/02/2019 at 10:18, brylonscamel said:

Another small layout project to watch!

Thanks very much! High praise indeed!

On 06/02/2019 at 11:21, justin1985 said:

Really interesting! I'm following to see how it develops.

I've been mulling over a micro layout in fiNetrax N inspired by Middleton Towers, with a hint of Marks Tey sand sidings. Very similar in concept, and fleet, I think!

Justin

Must be a good fleet then ;) Marks Tey sand sidings would be a superb model! Don't give me other ideas! 

Thanks for the kind words all!

Will

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Southwich said:

Thanks for the heads up beast - I have done so; very helpful!

I now - I've seen your request for help, Here's some photos I've taken while passing on the train on 03 October 2018

66070 was on 6L42, 08:51, Mountsorrel Sdgs - Barham (15:52) loaded stone

DAS793946.jpg

DAS793947.jpg

DAS794420.jpg

DAS794425.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beast66606 said:

I now - I've seen your request for help, Here's some photos I've taken while passing on the train on 03 October 2018

66070 was on 6L42, 08:51, Mountsorrel Sdgs - Barham (15:52) loaded stone

DAS793946.jpg

DAS793947.jpg

DAS794420.jpg

DAS794425.jpg

Those are incredible photos Beast thank you very much! What is the post with bulbs in the third photo next to the 66? It looks like some form of rusting old banner repeater? I think the unloading point will have to be scratch build - I haven't seen anything like that before

Thanks again Beast!

• Informative/Useful 1

A little parcel turned up for me this morning containing two wagons for Barham - two Dapol Freightliner HIA hoppers. I must say I'm really impressed with these - I was very surprised how they've managed to fit a lot of weight into a very small wagon. Even more impressive they glide through the points beautifully! 

IMG_9872.jpg.6600d07a863c884b2503ec8965867003.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg.d6c9ec463c4af8a144042d136639550e.jpg

They will look good behind 522 in the sidings! Time for a few more me thinks...

IMG_9875.jpg.c8a3dcc3db41f3a02338941a13b0365a.jpg

Finally a bit of inspiration:

9120425666_c645051ace_k.jpg66526 Barham 170613 by Neil Downing, on Flickr

On a separate note I will be at the Doncaster exhibition over the next two days helping to operate Burton on Trent - if you are at the exhibition please do come and say hello!

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Southwich said:

What is the post with bulbs in the third photo next to the 66? It looks like some form of rusting old banner repeater?

As far as I know, that signal is, or was used to give movement instructions to the train crew whilst the wagons were being unloaded. I've seen others in the past at power stations and the like.

Never ventured to Barham to take any photos, despite only living about 5 miles away as the crow flies!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Those are incredible photos Beast thank you very much! What is the post with bulbs in the third photo next to the 66? It looks like some form of rusting old banner repeater? I think the unloading point will have to be scratch build - I haven't seen anything like that before

Thanks again Beast!

It's a slow speed signal - used for shunting, typically for MGR operation, not sure of the exact aspects displayed but it's long been out of use so you could model it without worry about lighting it. Normally a vertical line means shunt and horizontal means stop.

On 08/02/2019 at 15:44, Johann Marsbar said:

As far as I know, that signal is, or was used to give movement instructions to the train crew whilst the wagons were being unloaded. I've seen others in the past at power stations and the like.

Never ventured to Barham to take any photos, despite only living about 5 miles away as the crow flies!

I think I'll have to model it - it seems the movements are controlled by the lights however I don't think I'll model it with the lights in it.

On 08/02/2019 at 16:54, Departmental203 said:

Just found this thread after following your Instagram a few weeks back, and you do sure love some Tug action!

By the way, are you making this layout OO fine scale, EM or P4?

Look forward to its progress, will look out on Instagram

Jules

Hi Jules - thanks for the reply! Nothing wrong with a bit of tug action! 

Im making the layout to OO-SF which I believe is 16.2 however I could be wrong. I've just set up my templot for that scale as it's what I've always used. The track will be made from Dow Mac P4 sleepers and peco pandrol clips.

Thanks for the kind words - if you've got anymore questions please shout on here or instagram!

On 08/02/2019 at 17:41, beast66606 said:

It's a slow speed signal - used for shunting, typically for MGR operation, not sure of the exact aspects displayed but it's long been out of use so you could model it without worry about lighting it. Normally a vertical line means shunt and horizontal means stop.

Superb thanks for the info! I think it'll have to be out of use - that would be a right pain to put lights in!

10 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Good to see the Boxenby trackwork progressing Will :rolleyes:

Following.

Thanks for the follow mate - unfortunately it's not track for Boxenby just yet - I need to get these 6 points done then I'm onto the 46 points for Boxenby... they're going to take ages!

• Like 2

A small update on the pointwork this evening - the first set of points on the main line is nearly complete. 60095 was used to test the points - just cosmetic chairs to go!

43913919-588B-46C1-8205-2E42458D1DE0.jpeg.54192fb3af9451d7e108a1ec58b65a15.jpeg

I have also also made a start on the point from the mainline into the yard; a long way to go but I’m happy so far! 

545A9C45-1990-46CE-B634-ECC6E08CC91E.jpeg.2a25681c4a7701a42fc728db7689310d.jpeg

A long way to go but we’ve got some progress!

I also purchased some bits for the point control over the weekend at the Doncaster show from the mega points controller stand - ready for when I get my baseboards sorted. 

Hoping to have the points sorted by the end of the weekend!

Will

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update this evening - I have finished making up the points and pretty much got all of the track ready for the sidings. Photos to follow of some lovely type 5 traction testing the points:

CBD57372-133E-48C3-8BA0-48277EC93A2C.jpeg.9439b999d6934b6057432fc2b0e30d32.jpeg0B769F3A-0664-4538-9A3F-82537EF5BF17.jpeg.29a06086faeb9a56d91674f365270be1.jpeg0C7FF3B6-CC50-4FE8-AF30-3D5F07A5898B.jpeg.0a98fa39d7783272faab1ba00908090e.jpeg

I have also been manually wiring up a CR signals 4 aspect signal this evening - has anyone got any experience of using a rotary switch to operate one off of a 12v power supply? I’m having difficulty sorting the double yellow configuration without adding in an extra toggle switch to operate the single yellow lamp in turn to create the double yellow. Any experience or advice on this would be much appreciated! 

Hooefully some more more progress to come over the next few weeks!

Will

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Track work is looking great, while I don't profess to be any sort of electronics expert with the switch would you not just add and extra link to the first yellow so when you turn it to the next notch it illuminates the pair of yellows I would start withe the 4 individual lights then add the bridging wire so both yellows light up in the correct sequence it makes sense in my head but with out the bits to show you that is the limits of my knowledge 

David 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, d winpenny said:

Track work is looking great, while I don't profess to be any sort of electronics expert with the switch would you not just add and extra link to the first yellow so when you turn it to the next notch it illuminates the pair of yellows I would start withe the 4 individual lights then add the bridging wire so both yellows light up in the correct sequence it makes sense in my head but with out the bits to show you that is the limits of my knowledge 

David 

Thanks for your response David! I tried exactly that however it always brings on both yellow aspects. The circuit needs a diode adding to stop current flowing back whilst the single yellow is on - I couldn't remember what a diode was or was called so a visit to BBC GCSE bitesize was in order!

On a separate note has anyone got any experience of modelling the Anglia MK2 sets? Would be interested to hear how people have modelled the rake.

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich

Hi Will, 

Nice work on the track construction, looks like going to be a nice layout.

Regards wiring your 4 aspect signal, was there no wiring instructions from CR? I have some signals for Dallam from CR and they show the correct location for the diode to allow double and single yellow operation from a 4 position rotary switch. I could send you a copy if you need it?

Cheers

Simon

7 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Will, 

Nice work on the track construction, looks like going to be a nice layout.

Regards wiring your 4 aspect signal, was there no wiring instructions from CR? I have some signals for Dallam from CR and they show the correct location for the diode to allow double and single yellow operation from a 4 position rotary switch. I could send you a copy if you need it?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

The signal did come with wiring instructions I just completely missed the diode position! Thanks for the offer - I’ve just found the wiring diagram however if you’ve got some photos of the wiring that would be most appreciated! I’m hoping the diodes from eBay should arrive tomorrow afternoon! 

Thanks again,

Will

Looking forward to seeing this layout progress. I was at Barham on Monday afternoon. It is good fun to watch the stone train arrive, pick up the one of the shunter's radios, propel into the sidings, be divided into 2 portions and then be unloaded.  (Would've preferred your class 60 on it though!) DSC_0266_(2).JPG.428ab719c3d3a0b4be158b2d5da0da16.JPG

DSC_0293_(2).JPG.04b681914fd50a74fe7acb376aee948d.JPG

Edited by east_anglian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2019 at 22:48, Southwich said:

Im making the layout to OO-SF which I believe is 16.2 however I could be wrong. I've just set up my templot for that scale as it's what I've always used. The track will be made from Dow Mac P4 sleepers and peco pandrol clips.

Yes, it's 16.2mm with 1mm crossing flangeway gaps.  It's basically EM gauge but minus 2mm, with the advantages of improved appearance of turnouts and much better running quality (in particular with kit wheels - Alan Gibson etc).  No need to adjust B2B dimensions on most recent 00 locos and rolling stock either.

Plain trackwork can be retained at 16.5mm if you wish (and can't face making it all!), with a gradual gauge reduction to 16.2mm in the last 2 or 3 inches in order to connect smoothly with the turnouts (which need to be hand-built).  All Track Gauges are available - try C&L.

In Templot 00-sf is now referred to as 4-sf, since in the earlier (and often heated) days of 00-sf being resurrected (it's been around for 30+years, but not well-known) there were some that objected to the inclusion of the term 00 in the title, suggesting it was confusing things.......

For helpful info see Martin Wynne's (aka Mr. Templot) info here:

https://4-sf.uk/

HTH

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1