Let's see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit

Barclay

On 31/01/2024 at 16:25, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Well… I’ll have to get myself another Prairie kit to build soon.

IMG_7576.jpeg.1b72eed418e4396acbe1c45b150db470.jpeg

Decided to attempt to fit Hornby bearings into one of the frames from the kit, ream out the plastic bearings with a round file and the brass ones become a snug press fit, though some super glue wouldn’t hurt, only had one half of a frame on hand though so I’ll need to either find the other or get another kit to experiment with, probably an Airfix kit, that way I’ll have a stronger frame.

So I found another frame and reamed out the beatings on that, but the frames themselves seem to be too wide to take Triang wheels, could cut down the spacer pegs so Triang wheels can be accommodated…

• Like 1

A bit of progress on the presflo. The hope in this project is to slightly lift the model in terms of detail. 

20240211_114926.jpg.35e4dbdbc33fdabd74d01e625ef7f4af.jpg

A couple of changes include drilling out the middle of the outer foot steps to match the prototype more closely. I added some rigging to the brakes which appear to be tie bars. 

There are holes in the sides to position the user brandings which I am not using. I obscured these with plastikard. 

20240211_114333.jpg.e7761e58146a47d4c6ceaf61ca83e77a.jpg

The ladder was scratch built from .3mm plastikard and .45mm brass rod. This is also used for the grab handles at the top of the ladder. 

A few more bits to do but I have really enjoyed working with this kit. Will they ever die?? Hope not. 

Oh and a word of advice...this model is handed which I managed to get wrong at virtually every stage! 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

That's a lovely ladder.

I'm generating a box of second hand ones and the handed nature seems to have caught out about 80% of the past builders!

Edited by 41516
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204659971206

Might be of interest to some people here, unbuilt Duchess kit, currently sitting at £15, ends on Sunday (25th).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204660052395

And an unbuilt crocodile kit! Sitting at the same bid price as the Duchess, £40 for a buy it now, bid ends at the same time as the Duchess. 

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Captain Slough said:

Nice. did you use the 1970s/early 80s Lima Long-Wheelbase shunter chassis?

Yes indeed, classic.

Back in the early 1960s I built the Kitmaster Deltic and 9F which I soon got tired of because they didn't go and were put back in their boxes until they were found in about 1990 when first the 9F was motorized with a very low ration gear set such that flat out it's maximum speed is about 30 mph. This was followed by the Deltic and then in 2006 I rebuilt my railway as Peak Forest and the Deltic was scheduled for sale as it didn't run there. Then I met a retired signal man who remembered it passing through light engine so it's back in stock. 

Wanting some asphalt tank wagons I built some of the Dapol kits not wanting to buy expensive RTR models and then have to repaint them.

8F, Bude, 9F & 3F.JPG

Deltic, Fell & 8F.JPG

Shelphalt Mexphalt tankers.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...

One of the minor disadvantages of running old Kitmaster coaches is the tendencies of the windows falling out during service either due to glue failing, bad handling or the odd derailment.20240331_235032.jpg.57dbb05dc3df26768251395961b5f19c.jpg

However the good news is nearly aways the glass remains inside the coach and using double-sided tape on little finger can be put back without removing roof or underside. This particular example is unpainted except for linings, and doesn't have the excellent peco cardboard interiors, considering its over 60 years old stands up well to most modern coaching stock.

• Like 7

Got home a few hours ago, decided to assemble the Prairie chassis out of curiosity to see if I could make it roll, the cylinders and such will go to a Jinty chassis mod like my last few have.

I have a Dublo R1 on hand right now too, so out of curiosity I decided to check the wheel alignment, and…

IMG_9755.jpeg.470cf400541a864e79daf54f119651e9.jpeg

…Does anyone have a spare R1 and Prairie kit on hand? 🤪

Dublo 6100? RK/Airfix R1?

• Like 2

IMG_9891.jpeg.b510884d1983226a76dcd930ea79f88e.jpeg

That should be enough work for one night.. Need to properly mount the cylinders, thinking a “plank” of plasticard to hold a screw, and use the mounting point for Triang’s “Synchrosmoke” unit to hold the steam chest down, get the front bogie fitted, I also ended up mounting the frame in such a way that the front arch doesn’t cover the front wheel, so I’ll have to bodge a longer arch together from Milliput and card..

Aside from that, same chassis as the last two I’ve done, Jinty block, Princess wheels, though this time I’m attempting to use the bogies supplied with the kit, suitably weighted and lubricated with graphite.

Speaking of the chassis… The one which kickstarted my love for these kits is getting a new one! 

IMG_9881.jpeg.5d62f5db23b768db78500e359f7417bb.jpeg

The old Airfix chassis I was using was starting to act up, motor’s fine (and is now going to a GraFar black five), but the cylinders kept failing on me, so off she goes for a new chassis!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished No. 4… Mostly… Lining and decals need doing next (either I lost the GWR transfers, or my kit didn’t have any).

IMG_0395.jpeg.bdbaf75f5afe5060ee47f444819ab166.jpeg

Used Tamiya XF-11 “JN Green” and XF-1 “Flat Black” with an army painters red (forgot which one) for the buffer beams, and an unbranded yellow for the safety valve (and whistles, which weren’t fitted when I took the photo)

IMG_0396.jpeg.76f667937ad5a911be50c28a5ac6bb5c.jpeg

I’m not addicted… I’m not addicted… I swear I’m not addicted… 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2024 at 07:15, locomad2 said:

One of the minor disadvantages of running old Kitmaster coaches is the tendencies of the windows falling out during service either due to glue failing, bad handling or the odd derailment.20240331_235032.jpg.57dbb05dc3df26768251395961b5f19c.jpg

Perhaps you could run some football specials?

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

Hacksworth, I have a pair of seized-up Dublo R1s that last ran in the 1990-s and have gone solid during the subsequent 25 years in storage if you need some to play with...

Right… How much? :)

Wait, no, I shouldn’t, I need another shelf first! (I’ll shoot you a message real quick…)

just an additional thing I could have put into my message convo with hacksworth' but which may be of broader interest &  that I just remembered.

Due to a decision to share parts (specifically the side-rods), Hornby-Dublo/Wrenn R1s have exactly the same wheelbase as the Hornby-Dublo N2 0-6-2T.

Dublo N2s may also be useful for motorising Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol GWR Prairies as a result.

• Informative/Useful 2