Let's see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit

Barclay

On 29/12/2023 at 15:59, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Any words of advice? The wheels on my Pug have begun to seize up, they still turn but they bind up rather easily, and are hard to turn, odd as the drive was turning rather freely yesterday, maybe the oil I used when I took it for a run at the club had dried up? I don’t trust myself to take it apart and add graphite, so anyone got any pointers?

Scrub the axles under the warm tap with washing up liquid and an old tooth brush to degrease, then add lubricant of your choice. 

(I always strip every chassis down and scrub the blocks in the sink thoroughly with wash up liquid to remove all dirt, sometimes the whole loco goes in, motor gear, the lot. A good soft tooth brush or clothes brush can really give results. When thoroughly dry they look like new. Fresh lubricant and away you go.)

(Not the modern, digital stuff though!!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, brightspark said:

I have a theory, but let's try and understand the problem.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a Dapol kit as out of the box?

If not what?

What did you use a lubricant?

Dapol bodykit, but a Rosebud chassis, used some of the oil from an oiling pen for watch repair, unsure what grade oil that is but I used it on the pug earlier this month and it’s only now I’m having problems, wheels still turn so it hasn’t harmed the plastic, I think it’s either dried up or somethings bound itself in the axle.

I was thinking that either the oil has attacked the plastic or that it was the latest plastic from Dapol. 

The later has a tendency to gall and so seize up.

If it is an old hard plastic, that will happen slower, unless the oil has had an effect.

The advice from 33C sounds like a good place to start.

Jeff is correct, plastic on plastic will have a short life.

On 09/12/2023 at 08:12, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

seen one on eBay motorised using the Triang A1A motor bogie (the one used on the 31 and 37).

Regarding Dapol Deltics, I have one on a Triang 37 chassis that I built around '95, easy conversion to do and very cheap, which was a priority when I was 17 and broke

also still got a Triang 37 on Dapol Deltic bogies somewhere too

• Like 4

On 31/12/2023 at 17:37, 33C said:

Scrub the axles under the warm tap with washing up liquid and an old tooth brush to degrease, then add lubricant of your choice. 

(I always strip every chassis down and scrub the blocks in the sink thoroughly with wash up liquid to remove all dirt, sometimes the whole loco goes in, motor gear, the lot. A good soft tooth brush or clothes brush can really give results. When thoroughly dry they look like new. Fresh lubricant and away you go.)

(Not the modern, digital stuff though!!)

Used a fingernail brush and a bar of hand soap last night, still reluctant to roll when I tested it, but wheels did turn when I ran it with the motor van, might try again with wash up liquid today, unless the model drying overnight has sorted it out.

• Like 1

Alright, was still reluctant to roll when I tested it a few hours ago, so I tried washing again with dish soap as recommended, still reluctant, I’ve noticed that the wheels have plenty of free play in their axles now though, maybe this has introduced a quartering issue?

Here's a somewhat improbable heavy-duty narrow-gauge steam crane,  based on the Dapol diesel crane kit.  The main piece not scratchbuilt or very heavily adapted was the jib,  although that too was not unmodified.  It has outriggers which function.

DSCF0195

IMG_0359

So adapting the kit involved quite a learning curve.  I suppose you could regard the low-loader match-wagon as part of the kit-bash,  as its bogies used the sides of the ones in the crane kit.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 23/12/2023 at 16:46, 33C said:

How about this idea?

20231223_164559.jpg

Was a little confused on my first reading of this, but reading it again… Railway modellers of the 20th century certainly had greater ingenuity, and since my initial plan was to use a mineral wagon fitted with pickups behind the tender (which would use a Ringfield motor), fitted with silver seal wheels, which hate my club’s layout, why not? I have a spare A1A bogie (just wheels, frame, magnet and the plastic cover) so why not?

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not a TT collector, but I decided to check Elaine’s Trains

https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?cat=38146

TT3 Scot up for grabs if anyone’s interested.

I wonder what it’d be like if Kitmaster stayed alive a little longer, would the Scot be produced in OO? Would their OO/HO kits see TT3 counterparts made?

Come to think of it, I’d also love to see how the unmade kits would’ve gone together… Recently got myself back into 3D modelling, and I have a 3D printer, might be fun to attempt to make the components for their announced (although never released) Scotsman kit, or the S100…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

MonorailPaintedShotssteamsepiatestcopy.jpg.9e47b045b89dab7125b4c91ba81fd4c4.jpg

Here's one of mine from a while ago... like most Steampunk creations, best not to think too much about the engineering practicalities.  Probably some engineer with a name like Isambard or Thaddeus, who invented a new type of mechanism incorporating Applied Plot-Devicium to create it :)

Steampunk-themed project as part of a photography exhibition at the Bradford Industrial Museum; I made a load of props of vehicles and things, photographed them as background items and photoshopped them into locations around the Aire Valley.  Working to a budget which was laughably low, this was a bash from carriages from the scrap boxes from Pennine Models, and a Dapol "City of Truro".  It actually ran too, on an XTS battery-powered N gauge loco chassis, with farish steamroller pony trucks.  A few modellers at the time criticised it, not for the design as such, but for not being Steampunk enough; they said it should have been done in 4mm scale but using 0 or G components, and named "Colossus" or something :)  The track -laboriously hand cut from mountboard in my pre-laser cutter days- has long gone, but I still have the stock.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Steampunk-themed project as part of a photography exhibition at the Bradford Industrial Museum; I made a load of props of vehicles and things, photographed them as background items and photoshopped them into locations around the Aire Valley.

If it was part of a photography exhibition, then I daresay there are more photographs....... (?)

Been thinking about the “Scalextrix motor + Railbus” idea for a while now, and I think I may have something to bring to the table in terms of how to go about actually motorising it.

The tyre’d wheels from a Ringfield drive, both fitted to the Scalextrix drive axle (or the gear from that axle on the Ringfield axle), a sufficient amount of weight to maintain contact with the track, reuse the collector braid (or throw together a pickup on the front axle), and it’ll possibly give Smokey Joe a run for his money!

• Funny 2

On 14/01/2024 at 22:38, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Been thinking about the “Scalextrix motor + Railbus” idea for a while now, and I think I may have something to bring to the table in terms of how to go about actually motorising it.

The tyre’d wheels from a Ringfield drive, both fitted to the Scalextrix drive axle (or the gear from that axle on the Ringfield axle), a sufficient amount of weight to maintain contact with the track, reuse the collector braid (or throw together a pickup on the front axle), and it’ll possibly give Smokey Joe a run for his money!

Why not go the whole hog, and combine with bits from an Airfix jet fighter? A low-budget British take on those experimental US and Russian units with bomber engines on their roofs ;)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

So I’ve been thinking about that conversion for the 9F, putting a Triang bogie in the tender, and that’s had me thinking: Can the same be done for the BoB?

Checking the wheelbases of the tenders, the BoB’s is slightly shorter, but I reckon it could still be made to work, maybe by trimming back the plastic bushes on the Triang motor shaft and pushing the worm gears further, possibly filing back or replacing the magnets too (the ones which provide greater adhesion to steel rails), to shorten the wheelbase of the motor bogie if need be.

IMG_7374.jpeg.c33bd8c08c5c91c8a9967c8d6312cbe9.jpeg

As for what I’ve decided in terms of livery for the 9F? Let’s just say I haven’t stopped with unorthodox liveries…

IMG_7375.jpeg.52760d1bb6a63218599999e040ba074a.jpeg

And the BoB? I’ll have more to show of that this weekend…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
Grammar error
  • Like 4

Since I decided not to follow through with the rebuilt BoB, that left me with the boiler, cab and frames for the Dapol 9F, I had a Princess chassis knocking about, so I decided to start messing about with fitting the 9F body to the Princess chassis.

IMG_7497.jpeg.cd20d876e252765743ae3ccc3e15db6f.jpeg

Anyone think a 9F to Britannia conversion would be doable? Not what I had intended, but it’s certainly an idea.

• Like 2

Model Railway Constructor in the early 80s had an article on extreme penny pinching model railways and included description of a 9F to Britannia conversion on a Princess chassis, as well as hacks like using automotive relays as point motors - the contacts being handy for live-frog switching or driving signals / indicators

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Slough said:

Model Railway Constructor in the early 80s had an article on extreme penny pinching model railways and included description of a 9F to Britannia conversion on a Princess chassis

Exactly what I was thinking along the lines of! Would you have any photos of the article? Wouldn’t mind giving it a read myself…

On 28/01/2024 at 23:38, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Since I decided not to follow through with the rebuilt BoB, that left me with the boiler, cab and frames for the Dapol 9F, I had a Princess chassis knocking about, so I decided to start messing about with fitting the 9F body to the Princess chassis.

IMG_7497.jpeg.cd20d876e252765743ae3ccc3e15db6f.jpeg

Anyone think a 9F to Britannia conversion would be doable? Not what I had intended, but it’s certainly an idea.

One of my first conversions done many years ago in bedsit land! Why not change the cabside sheets for the Bullied versions and swap the smokebox doors over. Fill your solid princess wheels with filler and paint the recesses/stress holes on. Add the B.O.B. tender and deflectors from the 9F and your there...

• Agree 1

I was tempted to attempt such, but the BoB kit ended up being built as an unrebuilt BoB, using a Triang Hall chassis, will have to get photos of it once I have it’s tender painted up…

IMG_7503.jpeg.d24980bc3fbf6b0874a7fcf5aaaf1a6b.jpeg

Decided to go BR blue for the BoB, for the next unrebuilt I do I might go for Malachite…

• Like 2

Well… I’ll have to get myself another Prairie kit to build soon.

IMG_7576.jpeg.1b72eed418e4396acbe1c45b150db470.jpeg

Decided to attempt to fit Hornby bearings into one of the frames from the kit, ream out the plastic bearings with a round file and the brass ones become a snug press fit, though some super glue wouldn’t hurt, only had one half of a frame on hand though so I’ll need to either find the other or get another kit to experiment with, probably an Airfix kit, that way I’ll have a stronger frame.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1