Let's see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit

Barclay

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

How about this instead of collector braids?

Some small industrial locos ran with old mineral wagons behind them to use as auxiliary tenders to carry more coal (or so I’ve heard):

6675479855_33692b0c1a_b.png.78f7123792e721a971d62f2a8cb8b757.png

(Unsure of who took the photo, certainly not my own though)

16T mineral wagon with one end removed, hole drilled in the back of the cab (both to run the wires through, and also so a fireman would be able to reach into the wagon if you want brownie points for realism), either silver seal wheels in the plastic bearings, or Dapol’s wheels with the frames modified to take tophat bearings, copper or phosphor bronze on the tops of the wheels, wires running from the wagon to the motor in the loco.

I'm sure I've seen other examples of this improvised tender malarkey too.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Took the pug to the MRC today.

I’d say it went well! Might have to add more weight (but it might also just be the dodgy track switch outside the station) but it rolls incredibly well, and can take a good thrash from my Lima Deltic over switches at speed!

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Took the pug to the MRC today.

I’d say it went well! Might have to add more weight (but it might also just be the dodgy track switch outside the station) but it rolls incredibly well, and can take a good thrash from my Lima Deltic over switches at speed!

Blimey, that goes like a rocket.. Top job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Blimey, that goes like a rocket.. Top job. 

Deltic is just a bog standard Lima one, friend got it in a job lot of 3 locos for £10 from his local charity shop, a bit of oil and it gives Smokey Joe a run for his money, would love to try and motorise a Dapol/Rosebud one though, seen one on eBay motorised using the Triang A1A motor bogie (the one used on the 31 and 37). The pug also handled well, definitely worth adding the extra weight, not only to make sure the wheels turn, but being an all plastic kit I don’t think it’d have run so well at that speed if there was no extra weight.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of my pug bashes which may have been seen before elsewhere.

First up something a bit Peckett-esque. Shortened tank, modified cab sat on a Model Power mechanism. It does ride rather too tall in the saddle, a function of the upright motor position in the cab.

pecketpugbash.jpg.e4f6ad017089a33ecfd7018531a0f84f.jpg

A narrow gauge one; chopped pugs were once a common sight on 009 models up and down the country. Here's my take on the genre running atop a tram skirt fitted Kato mechanism.

littlepointpugbash.jpg.6d66658ba6d394ed0cdc14c6b2fa060d.jpg

Can we include structures too? OK then here's the Airfix half timbered cottage without the half timbering or the thatch.

littlepointairfixcottage.jpg.2762beea9d78454f82775aa008661452.jpg

Finally the evergreen coal office, re-purposed as the tram station at the seaward end of the Little Point.

littlepointairfixcoaloffice.jpg.b88677521e7cd3ebdf55f45b894af869.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

23 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

How about this instead of collector braids?

Some small industrial locos ran with old mineral wagons behind them to use as auxiliary tenders to carry more coal (or so I’ve heard):

6675479855_33692b0c1a_b.png.78f7123792e721a971d62f2a8cb8b757.png

(Unsure of who took the photo, certainly not my own though)

16T mineral wagon with one end removed, hole drilled in the back of the cab (both to run the wires through, and also so a fireman would be able to reach into the wagon if you want brownie points for realism), either silver seal wheels in the plastic bearings, or Dapol’s wheels with the frames modified to take tophat bearings, copper or phosphor bronze on the tops of the wheels, wires running from the wagon to the motor in the loco.

That is on the Waterside system, ex Dalmellington Iron Company.  Loco been there since new, 1919, and still there but static, part of the Ayrshire RPG collection.
 The Tender carried enough coal for a few days work.  There was a small hopper fitted on the cab back and the fireman would shovel from the wagon onto the floor of the cab, then into the firebox.  The side bunkers were seldom used as they had to be filled by hand whereas the wagon could just go under the screens.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ian@stenochs said:

That is on the Waterside system, ex Dalmellington Iron Company.  Loco been there since new, 1919, and still there but static, part of the Ayrshire RPG collection.
 The Tender carried enough coal for a few days work.  There was a small hopper fitted on the cab back and the fireman would shovel from the wagon onto the floor of the cab, then into the firebox.  The side bunkers were seldom used as they had to be filled by hand whereas the wagon could just go under the screens.

Considering modifying my K’master/Dapol pug to utilise a similar design, using the 16T mineral wagon kit (or maybe a Ratio kit, possibly even modifying a Triang planker) as the aux tender, if you can find any good reference material (photos and such) for what you’ve just listed then that’d give me a better understanding of the modifications I’m planning on doing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Considering modifying my K’master/Dapol pug to utilise a similar design, using the 16T mineral wagon kit (or maybe a Ratio kit, possibly even modifying a Triang planker) as the aux tender, if you can find any good reference material (photos and such) for what you’ve just listed then that’d give me a better understanding of the modifications I’m planning on doing.

I'm kind of sure I've seen a pic of an actual pug with a wagon behind serving as a tender, rings a bell from fairly long ago but can't recall if it was in Internet days or previously in a book or something... 

• Like 2

On 07/12/2023 at 14:36, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I do have a Triang LOTI which I can temporarily take the motor from to check clearances, if it’s a decent size then I may attempt to fit one of those to a Pug.

IMG_5430.jpeg.7ebce5fba13ae41022f5639f015741d7.jpeg

Would have a cab full of motor… But doable. I’ll have to look around for an unbuilt Rosebud pug… The Scalextrix motor would likely be easier to install, but the X.05 would provide greater weight and power.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

Two suggestions. 

A Triang TT loco motor may be smaller.

Or.....

Rubber band drive directly round the pug kit axle from the motor shaft. Like "Lone star" used to do. You could use any tiny motor and universal motor mount (hot glue gun!)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Remember the City I started and never finished after the cranks broke? Well I’ve decided to at least get the tender finished, waiting for the primer to set right now so I’ve been modifying the motor.

IMG_5438.jpeg.3bba9d01f3b9c7176c7ef551c4edd8a1.jpeg

Motor is from a Lima king, only one major modification, and that’s the addition of pickups to the insulated wheels. 

IMG_5435.jpeg.8679cb096ad92bf9b960ab307fe481c0.jpegIMG_5436.jpeg.c8337ac2933752f7b3cd53b09de40f65.jpeg

Strip of pickup material (can’t tell what it is, likely copper or phosphor bronze, took it from an old K’s kit) glued on the side with the brush plate, will properly solder the wire to it soon, but for now it serves well for testing purposes, I’ll have to try and find a Kitmaster City to take the loco from, since those are the only ones that can actually be made to roll.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/12/2023 at 17:27, Porkscratching said:

I'm kind of sure I've seen a pic of an actual pug with a wagon behind serving as a tender, rings a bell from fairly long ago but can't recall if it was in Internet days or previously in a book or something... 

Never behind a L&Y Pug though. Built for the specific job of moving wagons around docks. If they needed more fuel then they would use a bigger engine such as one of these or the LMS version.

spacer.png

Ben Brooksbank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_24

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2023 at 12:03, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

The Scalextrix motor would likely be easier to install, but the X.05 would provide greater weight and power.

The Scalextric motor is next to impossible to control for slower speeds or smooth starts & stops; I'd go with the X05!

• Agree 1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:23, 33C said:

Rubber band drive directly round the pug kit axle from the motor shaft. Like "Lone star" used to do. You could use any tiny motor and universal motor mount (hot glue gun!)

Might try that when I do the Rocket… Rubber band to the rear axle, plus a decent amount of weight, similar to one or two Athearn(?) drives.

Edit: Thinking about it, one issue would be replacing the bands when they eventually wear out, considering some sort of base-keeper plate to fit to the chassis, as well as making the crank pins easily removable (superglue and track pins maybe? Instead of poly-cementing plastic crank pins to the wheels), to allow for easy replacement of the bands.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Might try that when I do the Rocket… Rubber band to the rear axle, plus a decent amount of weight, similar to one or two Athearn(?) drives.

Edit: Thinking about it, one issue would be replacing the bands when they eventually wear out, considering some sort of base-keeper plate to fit to the chassis, as well as making the crank pins easily removable (superglue and track pins maybe? Instead of poly-cementing plastic crank pins to the wheels), to allow for easy replacement of the bands.

Rubber band drives, at least the Athearn ones, give 'Roadrunner' starts and stops = 'Beep, Beep'

1 Minute 30 secs.

• Funny 1

Been plotting for a little bit… @33C showed off a few of his CoT motorisations using the Nellie chassis with Romford components a while back, and since I’d prefer to use Triang wheels given what my layout is made of (not to mention just having a hard time finding the necessary wheels and gears), that got me thinking… Why don’t I extend the cranks on the Triang wheels?

Fiddled with the idea for a while before, but wasn’t sure of how to do it… Until I remembered how Triang chassis’s units go together.

IMG_5690.jpeg.ae059f291f0e6dfa5ea988d265a17441.jpeg

Only one side on the Triang chassis’s were ever insulated (often the right), using a plastic insulating collar, note how the insulated wheel has a bigger hole in the centre to accommodate this. And since I’ve disassembled and reassembled multiple Triang locos at this point (alongside the chassis work I’ve done on those Prairies), that got me thinking of this:

IMG_5687.jpeg.84ea6d74200872658a8efcf382e35d4c.jpeg

Put simply, it’s a longer insulating bush, designed to be fitted to the outside of the wheel as opposed to the insides, and on the end a hole is present, to take an external crank.

I’ve had a 3D printer for a good while now, but had little use out of it, will design the components at some point (might get some new insulating bushes just to be as accurate as possible with measurements), get (probably) a Dapol CoT and a few spare insulated Princess wheels (though wheels from the Hornby tender drive B17 could also be used), and I’ll let you all know how that goes…

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Finally got some black spray paint, so that means the pug is finally done! (Aside from decals, which I’ll fit next week)

IMG_5791.jpeg.d73747fe62c752431a3faeebc5e66b7f.jpeg

The kitbuilt army continues to grow…

IMG_5790.jpeg.a8c2c4d8c43d89f1a20d6672344f5446.jpeg

I’ll probably get the City finished up next, getting a Hornby School (the older tender drive version) for Christmas so it’ll be fun to compare my kitbuilt one to that once it’s finished (still need to get another for the valve gear), Croydon is still waiting on a new cab window, will need to get another BoB sooner rather than later so I can fix that, but it’s shaping up to be a nice collection, might see into motorising a 9F at some point… Kitmaster with a Lima tender drive?

• Like 4

Finally sorted out the Pug’s decals, first model I’ve actually finished in a hot minute.

IMG_5835.jpeg.cf56b5afa8de5bd750c6d3e5ddbf5ec7.jpegIMG_5836.jpeg.1fcdafcdf268a781754932296a4a9d51.jpeg

You may have also seen this in the background of my last post, the CoT tender, need a Rosebud one to pair with it, but I’ve just finished adding the coal load.

As for the livery? If you thought BR black was controversial then avert your eyes in 3…

2…

1…

IMG_5830.jpeg.b49874e85bcb9715998ee533b3033500.jpegIMG_5831.jpeg.8d7936d3e2ebea445b078c561d99d9a8.jpeg

Lighting in here isn’t so good, but BR blue City? Hoho… You better believe it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

It should be possible to fit the Triang X500 ""Rocket" motor inside a Pug, after all it fitted inside the "Rocket" boiler.

A possibility, yes... At the same time, with how rare Triang Rockets are, would you really do that mod? I, personally, wouldn't, the X.05 used in the LotI, Caley and turntable is in higher supply and would likely be better for the pug, bigger? Yes, but as a result you'd have more weight over the drivers for increased pulling power.