Let's see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit

Barclay

Grandad sent some cash as a Christmas present earlier, I'm going to have a fun few evenings once these arrive...

image.png.22878b8c2ffbad96ce237006e765d8a7.png

image.png.5dc9726ff02d99e218a8cdd8a4479e7c.png

Considering liveries for the 9F, I already have a BR green one (Hornby, ringfield drive), tempted to do something else for this 9F though... BR blue anyone? 🤪

Already know how I'm going to motorise it too, I have some spare Ringfield motor bogies from old Hornby models, so I'll lob one in the 9F's tender, probably hook up a mineral wagon or a van behind for power pickup.

As for the City? Should be pretty obvious as to what that's going towards, an idea for a Hall to Star conversion in the Triang Princess thread popped up though, so the tender might go to that...

• Like 1

Personally I would use the smallest possible motor and fill the spaces with lead. My own Pug, built with a Bristol Models chassis kit nearly 40 years ago has a tiny Tenshodo motor, but one of the small High Level ones would be a better bet now.

DSC_0059(2).JPG.58bd1406040e60c6fc8df58c48c1fa95.JPG

• Like 9

On 20/12/2023 at 08:34, Barclay said:

Personally I would use the smallest possible motor and fill the spaces with lead. My own Pug, built with a Bristol Models chassis kit nearly 40 years ago has a tiny Tenshodo motor, but one of the small High Level ones would be a better bet now.

DSC_0059(2).JPG.58bd1406040e60c6fc8df58c48c1fa95.JPG

Recently watched Darth Santa Fe’s video on a Tenshodo motor bogie, I reckon if one has the same wheelbase length of the pug then we have a decent motorisation option…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_6141.jpeg.c032c584461f90e39996c287ed22b080.jpeg

Checked over and everything seems to be there! Even the original capsule of poly cement (albeit dried out)! Not bad for £25…

I wonder how it compares to the Dapol version....same tooling?  Branchlines does a chassis and detailing kit.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 21:06, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Grandad sent some cash as a Christmas present earlier, I'm going to have a fun few evenings once these arrive...

image.png.22878b8c2ffbad96ce237006e765d8a7.png

image.png.5dc9726ff02d99e218a8cdd8a4479e7c.png

Considering liveries for the 9F, I already have a BR green one (Hornby, ringfield drive), tempted to do something else for this 9F though... BR blue anyone? 🤪

Already know how I'm going to motorise it too, I have some spare Ringfield motor bogies from old Hornby models, so I'll lob one in the 9F's tender, probably hook up a mineral wagon or a van behind for power pickup.

As for the City? Should be pretty obvious as to what that's going towards, an idea for a Hall to Star conversion in the Triang Princess thread popped up though, so the tender might go to that...

How about this idea?

20231223_164559.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

I've got a part-built Kitmaster Beyer-Garrett which may be going on the internet auction site soon. all parts there, luckily the builder didn't make very much of it.

A couple of Hornby Ivatt chassis will sort that out. One or both motorised? 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 21:06, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Considering liveries for the 9F,

How about rusty brown, streaked with matt white limescale, satin black oil splashes, matt chocolate for brake dust and gloss varnish water runs from the tank filler. Cover everything, no mercy! And don't forget the real coal in the tender...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_6160.jpeg.81509a0438e2807881d1b4d51c14a854.jpeg

Boiler and cab aren’t glued down yet, going to spray those blue before I attach them, but the chassis is more or less done, cranks and wheels all turn nicely, going to add some weight over the drivers though.

That's coming along nicely. Don't forget the crew!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and a merry Christmas to you all.

IMG_6215.jpeg.74facd47fafb65a4488cf4a688025e23.jpeg

I’ve got the next few weeks sorted out, managed to get a few kits for Christmas, going to finally attempt the rebuilt BoB bash, and a Rocket has also come into my possession, will I try and motorise it? Honestly debating that, as I also got this:

IMG_6223.jpeg.7e81714a47b6f86e7b0a4b0f5fca5153.jpeg

Saw a Kitmaster motorised van on the ‘bay for £20 last month, showed it to a few family members after I got home from college, and not even an hour later I find it’s been sold, seller only showed photos of the box and the product, so I was surprised to see it come with all the components! Instructions, coupler mounts, Humbrol enamels chart, etc, seemingly never used! Wanted it for the main purpose of running it with the Pug, but I might run it with the Rocket too…

Edit: Checked the contents a second time, missing the brass screws so possibly used before? Packages were all totally sealed though, I’d try to remove the guide for fitting the couplers but that seems to be glued down, and I don’t want to risk damaging it, either way, for it’s age it’s in brilliant condition! 

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

Finally got around to testing the motor van, a bit on the wobbly side but otherwise a nice runner! 

IMG_6267.jpeg.b088206c6b12736165c0d02f50fb5fa3.jpeg

Also got the City’s boiler painted, and got a photo in some decent lighting that better shows off the blue paintwork.

IMG_6260.jpeg.1a14bcde08711316faa2db427f318656.jpeg

IMG_6264.jpeg.3928d6e218ebca0f57d96d2c6d5b5136.jpeg

Crank pins on the left side kept failing on me, so I replaced those with some from a Dapol 9F kit, likes to bind up every now and then as well… But otherwise she rolls well, probably could have put traction tyres on the coupled wheels to iron that out.

• Like 7

I wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago.... my 2022 Warley demonstration was themed on inexpensive wagon kits and rummage bin restorations and a lot of them were Airfix.

spacer.png

I built the brake van as an LNER diagram, a very easy conversion.   I've kept this one for the display stand as the red plastic shows up the modifications very well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other two now run on Grantham.

spacer.png

I like to take this one to shows to show younger modellers - my son built this with my help when he was 7.

I have three on the go on the bench at the moment:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These have all had (or are having) the Geoff Kent treatment as described in his 4mm Wagon series of books.   Indispensable for anyone who wants to build really accurate and detailed wagons.

The older Airfix kits have much less mould wear and (in my experience) better quality plastic than the Dapol production.   Apologies if this has already been done to death on the thread.  It's a shame the range wasn't much more extensive.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago.... my 2022 Warley demonstration was themed on inexpensive wagon kits and rummage bin restorations and a lot of them were Airfix.

spacer.png

I built the brake van as an LNER diagram, a very easy conversion.   I've kept this one for the display stand as the red plastic shows up the modifications very well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other two now run on Grantham.

spacer.png

I like to take this one to shows to show younger modellers - my son built this with my help when he was 7.

I have three on the go on the bench at the moment:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These have all had (or are having) the Geoff Kent treatment as described in his 4mm Wagon series of books.   Indispensable for anyone who wants to build really accurate and detailed wagons.

The older Airfix kits have much less mould wear and (in my experience) better quality plastic than the Dapol production.   Apologies if this has already been done to death on the thread.  It's a shame the range wasn't much more extensive.

Hi Jon,

Any other, closer, photos of the red BV? Always a kit I enjoy building and detailing.

Matt

2 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Any other, closer, photos of the red BV?

Only this one which I think you've seen.     I was building it during the show so I didn't stop for photographs.  I still have it in this condition (with the roof glued down properly)  if there's a particular mod you want to see?

spacer.png

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Are the underframe etches your own?

No, they're MJT.    It's not a complete etch, just their RCH axleguards.   One rocking, one fixed.   The brake shoes are the Mainly Trains etched LNER ones.   For BR I'd have to use the Airfix ones, I think, unless someone does a cast/etched version of the double shoe.

It has just occurred to me that I did a step-by-step for the first time I did this conversion on the LNER Forum.   It's been lost from RMWeb during one of the site migrations.  There will be some small changes - LMS buffers weren't available then - but in the main it's the same job again.   I'm having trouble with the fact that it was 2010 when I did it.....

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

Any words of advice? The wheels on my Pug have begun to seize up, they still turn but they bind up rather easily, and are hard to turn, odd as the drive was turning rather freely yesterday, maybe the oil I used when I took it for a run at the club had dried up? I don’t trust myself to take it apart and add graphite, so anyone got any pointers?