Let's see your Airfix/Kitmaster kit

Barclay

Has anyone tackled a Kitmaster Blue Pullman recently? I've got a 6 car set to refurbish, with a part-built unpainted kitchen car and an unbuilt motor car. Sadly buffers are missing from the 2 built power cars. It has the original kitmaster motor bogie which has a broken mazak casting so won'e ever run properly, but now looking for a 38mm wheelbase motor bogie to go in it.

I've also got a number of Kitmaster Mk1 coaches in blood and custard which I beleive used to belong to Sir Peter Hendy OBE. I've had them over 40 years so he may have built them when he was at school! Also a fallen apart Restaurant Car. the main fauls with the coach kites is the girder type sole bar and the fact that they are built with copious quantities of the old Kitmaster glue! there wasn't really much else available in those days! I need to find some Peco interiors to go with them.

• Like 2

Back to the airfix tanker and coupling

Most of my modelling now is repair and rebuilds / repaint, I have posted before tips on replacing the airfix coupling pin which I have found to be a weak spot with use of all airfix kit wagons.

I've found a common source for a metal brush to replace the pin and broken insert, it's a 5mm "eyelet" used in clothing, tents covers etc, just enlarge the peco coupling to 5mm and it's a easy fit in the outer coupling slot

20220122_190625.jpg.3f2593a1c04df90d0cec3f17ad198bc9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Has anyone tackled a Kitmaster Blue Pullman recently? I've got a 6 car set to refurbish, with a part-built unpainted kitchen car and an unbuilt motor car. Sadly buffers are missing from the 2 built power cars. It has the original kitmaster motor bogie which has a broken mazak casting so won'e ever run properly, but now looking for a 38mm wheelbase motor bogie to go in it.

The BP coaches didn't have buffers as such - just a single buffing plate below the gangways.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks John I'm aware of that, it's the outer end buffer heads that have gone missing! Maybe if anyone has any Tri-ang Brush 2 buffer heads they will fit the bill. I used to get them as spares from Tri-ang years aho to fit the Mk1 coaches which for some reason they sold with round buffers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

Thanks John I'm aware of that, it's the outer end buffer heads that have gone missing! Maybe if anyone has any Tri-ang Brush 2 buffer heads they will fit the bill. I used to get them as spares from Tri-ang years aho to fit the Mk1 coaches which for some reason they sold with round buffers.

The buffers on mine are sprung Hornby (Class 60?) ones - they come sort of rounded rectangular, but are easily filed to match the prototype ones.

The inter-coach couplings are magnetic - the buffing plates are mounted on close-coupling units let into the coach floors, and have tiny rare-earth magnets in holes drilled in the actual buffing pads.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I'm planning on using the Kean close-coupling system on mine. The buffing plates have already been glued firmly into place on mine many years ago with Kitmaster glue! The joys of buying ready-made off ebay.

Also, mine don't have any handrails or door handles, presumably some must have been fitted on the prototype? do you have any details on what they are and where they should go? Maybe there's some on my Triang Blue Pullman that'll give me a clue!

Edited by roythebus1
  • Like 1

Either very expensive unbuilt Kitmaster kitchen or hard to find, however did buy a fruit box of really tatty coaches, bodies, bits, sides, glass etc and found a very tatty Pullman kitchen broken kit.

It really was a mess dreadful paint job, missing glass bogies etc did have a go at getting up to a certain standard needs more work20220123_230922.jpg.a944f271928987f2cc053fce8ebcb29e.jpg

It's on Lima bogies, I noticed after running parts of the side on corners just fell off, roof has edged missing, looks and runs ok between triang stock

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 14:05, roythebus1 said:

Also, mine don't have any handrails or door handles, presumably some must have been fitted on the prototype? do you have any details on what they are and where they should go? Maybe there's some on my Triang Blue Pullman that'll give me a clue!

See the photos in my Vintage Blue Pullman thread; https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155216-a-vintage-blue-pullman/#comment-3991886

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I asked here or on the other forum about motors, the black Beetle motors are still available from Australia so i'm ordering a couple from there for the Blue Pullman. quite a good price, but I don't know what import duty of any there will be to pay. the owner of black Beetle says he bought a few hundred Mashima motors before they closed down and needs to maximise his return on the investment so can't afford to sell them a wholesale prices to UK retailers. I know the feeling!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

I asked here or on the other forum about motors, the black Beetle motors are still available from Australia so i'm ordering a couple from there for the Blue Pullman. quite a good price, but I don't know what import duty of any there will be to pay. the owner of black Beetle says he bought a few hundred Mashima motors before they closed down and needs to maximise his return on the investment so can't afford to sell them a wholesale prices to UK retailers. I know the feeling!

Great, I can assure you that a pair of Black Beetles in the cab ends of the power cars will drive your BP in a most realistic way.

If you have any queries concerning mounting them, do ask.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Lets see your airfix kit, well mine get used

I built this aged 9, some 50 odd years ago, it's been on all the layouts since, bog standard unpainted airfix kit

20220128_005415.jpg.c363e0fa6caad846222c01d0f774cc8a.jpg

Think the peco coupling at the time cost more than the kit, unweighted so know it's the first, first lesson learnt, since then anything to hand thrown in the tank, old half pennies, 2p's, lead shot, old bolts.

Stood well test of time even the wheels are original, and transfers lasted too.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Lets see your airfix kit, well mine get used

I built this aged 9, some 50 odd years ago, it's been on all the layouts since, bog standard unpainted airfix kit

20220128_005415.jpg.c363e0fa6caad846222c01d0f774cc8a.jpg

Think the peco coupling at the time cost more than the kit, unweighted so know it's the first, first lesson learnt, since then anything to hand thrown in the tank, old half pennies, 2p's, lead shot, old bolts.

Stood well test of time even the wheels are original, and transfers lasted too.

Dad filled mine with sand.

• 2 months later...

Was looking to see if I had any Airfix Kits, but apart from numerous figures, the only thing I came up with is the side and 2 half ends, of an Engine shed, used for the Dairy on Brislington.

During construction.

IMG_4562.jpg.9971fe245c983e0b1d26b8ebf741c9c6.jpg

And in place.

Must fix that guttering !!!

IMG_8417.JPG.8b970f9f6ae76da19c9d765d4d770ef2.JPG

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I recently brought the Schools class and Standard 4mt. I plan to motorise them. Is it possible to incorporate the kits onto a chassis from a manufacturer such as Hornby or Bachmann?

Hornby do / did a Schools; Bachmann do a 4MT 2-6-0.

CJI.

• Like 1