Class 92, By Accurascale

On 28/12/2022 at 14:44, Lyddrail said:

2.     The tunnel polos are moulded, and the silver paint or print is not smooth which looks odd (see pics 1 & 2). The arrows and plaques prints look the same. Revolution Trains used etches on their N gauge model.

My loco came with etched Double Arrow for the owner to fit

On 21/12/2022 at 11:02, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As we explained during the development process we couldn’t etch the polos convincingly due to their design. Moulding them is the only way to capture their 3D nature with finesse.

Cheers! 

Fran

Edited by Peter749

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, McC said:

Yes.

(Joking answer aside, we tested with alllll the sleepers. The loco should have zero trouble hauling at least 30 on a permanent basis. 

How about bricks as that seems to be the new unit of measurement?

• Funny 4

I received mine today, to say I was impressed is an understatement. The only issue I had is the pantographs, the documentation shows two photos for the clips to unlock them but the photos aren't very big and it is difficult to see what clip they are talking about. I finally got them unclipped being incredibly careful not to break anything. It is great watching the pantographs go up and down with DCC control the only issue is knowing how to get them up or down but I eventually figured it out. Wonderful model.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, McC said:

Yes.

(Joking answer aside, we tested with alllll the sleepers. The loco should have zero trouble hauling at least 30 on a permanent basis. 

I've tested up to 43 coaches, but haven't tested the AS locos yet. Must do that in the new year!.

Current record holder is Hattons 66 with 43, then Dapol 68 with 36

• Like 4

On 28/12/2022 at 14:44, Lyddrail said:

5.     Something is wrong with the cab side windows. The windows are black but there should be a section of black paint under the windows. This is missing, so are the windows too big, or is the divide between the greys out of place?  On further investigation the bottom of the dark grey should be level with the cab front black section. Confirming this is the grilles on the righthand of the side, where the second bolt from the bottom is too low (see pics 6 & 7). Therefore, the grey divide is too high making the polos too high as well. The doors would now be wrong as the top door handle lines up with the divide as is. It looks like there is not enough space between the handle recess and the bottom of the door window.

Interesting point. Looking at photos I agree, the grey band is in the wrong place. Based on the photos you attached it looks like the cab side black should be in line with the cab front black. That said, does not detract from an incredible model IMO.

Edited by georgeds
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Finally got around to unboxing 92010 and giving it a test.  Both it and 92032 are fantastic looking models and really capture the feel of these locos.  I'm afraid I probably am going to go against the general opinion though and say I'm a bit disappointed with the sound setup. It is very awkward to get anything but the transformer hum sounding with the loco stationary and it doesn't appear possible to separately activate the rheo brake cooling fans which give the distinct class 92 sound when sat on the blocks after working hard. (If anyone knows how to do this, please shout up!) It's also a little frustrating to have things like the drive lock and lighting controls on "high number" functions which not all DCC controllers can access whilst gimmicks like door slam are on "low numbers".

I've been waiting on these for a long time and, overall I am very happy with them but, the frustrations with the sound mean I'm starting to wish I'd saved the extra cash to cover the cost of the Mk5 coaches to with them.

Ok I will finally get bounced for this comment, but two years ago I preordered the Hornby class 87 loco, surprisingly it has not yet appeared. Today I was checking on the price, do you realise it is only forty pounds cheaper than what I paid for the Accurascale class 92. Here is the kicker my Accurascale loco came with electrically operated pantographs and complete sound . It is also a superb model, so the class 92 is incredibly good value for money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2023 at 14:17, ColinB said:

so the class 92 is incredibly good value for money.

So the moral to this story is......unless its a Drax pack,my kidneys feel safe since i got some packs incase i fall on hard times.

Had a pleasant afternoon and night i guess running in on the rollers some models in the Accuraloft,the 92 fleet so far is flawless,what a model,why would anyone not want the sound functions as it now has it on DC?,just brings them to life.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2022 at 20:13, reddragon said:

I've tested up to 43 coaches, but haven't tested the AS locos yet. Must do that in the new year!.

Was the 66 on straight or an incline?  I have had a 66 pull 12 HYAs up my rather steep incline.  If 1 HYA is coupled to 9 PFAs on the gradient it will sometimes just overcome the friction in the HYA.  The Class 66 haulage capability is phenomenological - be interested to see how the 92 performs. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Was the 66 on straight or an incline?  I have had a 66 pull 12 HYAs up my rather steep incline.  If 1 HYA is coupled to 9 PFAs on the gradient it will sometimes just overcome the friction in the HYA.  The Class 66 haulage capability is phenomenological - be interested to see how the 92 performs. 

Have a pull off between them!

Although I do expect it will be simpler than that. It will probably just boil down to what's heaviest or sits on the track best as I expect the motors will be strong enough to overcome the friction in both cases.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Well if its just like the real thing it should be twice as good as they have over 6500HP on a 92 and only 3300HP on a shed,theres a brill you tube on the 92,s and they pull loaded freigh up inclines like the north face of the Eiger......

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2022 at 20:13, reddragon said:

It would be interesting as close examination looks to me like the same motor inside.

Class 92 is 686g

class 66 is 741g

not far apart, So difference would be down to engineering.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

So difference would be down to engineering

I'd be very surprised if it came down to anything more than mass.

I might have them battle each other, see how it goes.

Where do the 55 and 37 land in all this? Bachmanns new 37, whilst a good model, isn't very heavy and doesn't pull that well.

9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

We can do this in model soon

Which sets of MK5 coaches from A/S would be required? I counted 16 so it is a straightforward 4 sets? (Although given they're all sold out I'm guessing unless somebody's already ordered one of each we can't do as you suggest)

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Which sets of MK5 coaches from A/S would be required? I counted 16 so it is a straightforward 4 sets? (Although given they're all sold out I'm guessing unless somebody's already ordered one of each we can't do as you suggest)

Was more it had both the popular GBRF together on a sleeper,to do 16 you need a big loft and a lot of luck when they come as they all sold out a while back.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

A/ S are listed under “Highlander packs 1-4” and “Lowlander packs 1-4 “

Highlander being Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William

Lowlander being Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Eagle eyed may spot that Highlander adds up to 18, though in reality its only 16, reflecting seasonal variation in the sets.

They are sold out anyway, no London bound set has been announced, though in a rare slip, AS  shows an EP with London Euston as destination in pictures 9 and 12 on all their CS mk5 images

interesting that whilst the mk5’s sold out, the CS92’s are available… did people buy more than expected coaches ? Its not as if CS92’s do that much else regularly, and the CS92’s worked the mk3’s for a while too. There was a cross over period where mk3 and mk5’s ran side by side (i’m sure the passengers loved drawing the short straw on the mk3’s on those nights).

Edited by adb968008

So am I correct in saying (if I've understood the A/S map correctly)

the Lowlander sets of 16 split into 2 sets of 8 at Carstairs, one for Glasgow & one for Edinburgh - does this presume there will always be 2 engines on this?

the Highlander sets of 18 split at Edinburgh, with 8 going to Inverness, 6 going to Aberdeen & 4 to Fort William - again I presume the onward locos are stabled at Edinburgh? These are diesels as there is no OHLE going north?

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A/ S are listed under “Highlander packs 1-4” and “Lowlander packs 1-4 “

Highlander being Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William

Lowlander being Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Eagle eyed may spot that Highlander adds up to 18, though in reality its only 16, reflecting seasonal variation in the sets.

They are sold out anyway, no London bound set has been announced, though in a rare slip, AS  shows an EP with London Euston as destination in pictures 9 and 12 on all their CS mk5 images

interesting that whilst the mk5’s sold out, the CS92’s are available… did people buy more than expected coaches ? Its not as if CS92’s do that much else regularly, and the CS92’s worked the mk3’s for a while too. There was a cross over period where mk3 and mk5’s ran side by side (i’m sure the passengers loved drawing the short straw on the mk3’s on those nights).

As per the spec the destinations on all the mk5’s are user changeable. Like Deltic, etc, the packs include a sheet of destinations so you can configure them as you wish. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

the Lowlander sets of 16 split into 2 sets of 8 at Carstairs, one for Glasgow & one for Edinburgh - does this presume there will always be 2 engines on this?

the Highlander sets of 18 split at Edinburgh, with 8 going to Inverness, 6 going to Aberdeen & 4 to Fort William - again I presume the onward locos are stabled at Edinburgh? These are diesels as there is no OHLE going north?

I would have thought the Lowlander would be just a single loco for the trunk haul and presumably the loco from the southbound Lowlander portion would be left at Carstairs after combining with the main train to pick up the equivalent northbound portion later in the night/morning.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Graham108 said:

lowlander

The 92  runs 8 coaches ECS from Polmadie to Edinburgh, then as the Southbound 8 portion from Edinburgh to Carstairs. It joins the 8 to the Southbound Glasgow, which continues as 16 to London with the ex-Glasgow 92.

The loco then waits at Carstairs for the Northbound lowlander to arrive, picks up 8 to return to Edinburgh, and continues ECS to Polmadie.

The diagram example is here 

ECS to Edinburgh 5C11

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C06516/2022-12-29/detailed

Loaded to Carstairs 1C11

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C57453/2022-12-29/detailed#allox_id=0

loaded to Edinburgh 1B26

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C57462/2022-12-30/detailed#allox_id=0

empty to Polmadie 5B26

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C06506/2022-12-30/detailed

Uses 1 class 92.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1