P2 2007 - surely?

atom3624

• RMweb Premium

I’d hazard a guess that once 2007 is on the network then Hornby may well release a high detail Version of the P2, and possibly A1 to accompany her. Then in turn maybe the V4 once that’s finished. Would be great if Hornby and the A1/P2 Trusts could form a partnership of sorts. May help with sales if part of the proceeds go to the locos and help keep them out there. 

31 minutes ago, Tarnish1 said:

It will need to be "full fat", not Railroad like the existing model.

Absolutely. The chassis was designed to accommodate a front end in the style of an A4 but it needs to be retooled from scratch. Some people seem to have been lucky but a lot, including myself, got horrible runners. Decent bearings would also be welcome. All the same, it would be sensible of Hornby to wait until the ballyhoo surrounding the entry in to service of the real thing creates a lot more demand.

• RMweb Premium

They really need to re-design the front pony truck too, that double-pivot mechanism sucks big-time, giving a most unrealistic angle on curves, and a tendency to short-circuit on turnouts.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

On the subject of 2007, why "Prince of Wales"? Should be "Duke of Rothesay".

It will be Duke Of Rothesay. But only when it runs in Scotland.

It's an English locomotive*. Bit like the Clan being 72010 Hengist rather than 72015 Clan Colquhoun. I bet if the Scots were building the Clan then it would be the latter.

* I hasten to add English as it's being built at Darlington.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann didn’t wait until 60163 was built before doing a model of it, there was a limited edition made for the A1ST back in the 1990’s when the real thing was but a set of parts.

Hornby could do a 2007 now, and an improved version when 2007 is complete, i’m Quite sure given the popularity of the cause that a former release wouldn’t impact the latter... especially looking back at the multiple versions offered after 60163 took to the rails.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:42, adb968008 said:

Hornby could do a 2007 now, and an improved version when 2007 is complete, i’m Quite sure given the popularity of the cause that a former release wouldn’t impact the latter... especially looking back at the multiple versions offered after 60163 took to the rails.

Hornby could also do the Bugatti front versions of 2001 - 2006 now, and thus be ready for when 2007 has to have its front end revised to provide the superior exhaust clearance of the Bugatti front for better crew look out. But produced to the best standard Hornby have been achieving please, not a cut price jobbie.

Really, who knows what businesses will be supplying RTR OO models once the new P2 is out doing its stuff: those competing with big steam models at that time are likely to venture a version surely?

[Bangent] Of course the new build V4 already has a logical name: Bantam Cock > Bantam Hen > Bantam Egg. I thank you. [/Bangent]

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2019 at 14:25, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Hornby could also do the Bugatti front versions of 2001 - 2006 now, and thus be ready for when 2007 has to have its front end revised to provide the superior exhaust clearance of the Bugatti front for better crew look out. But produced to the best standard Hornby have been achieving please, not a cut price jobbie.

Really, who knows what businesses will be supplying RTR OO models once the new P2 is out doing its stuff: those competing with big steam models at that time are likely to venture a version surely?

[Bangent] Of course the new build V4 already has a logical name: Bantam Cock > Bantam Hen > Bantam Egg. I thank you. [/Bangent]

They could, the service sheet image shows a slope front as part of the chassis weight design.

The smokebox/deflectors is a separate moulded piece on the body.

(I have a 2001 awaiting the a forementioned piece to be swapped on a 2001 I acquired 5 years ago with a chipped set of deflectors.. and still on my shelf awaiting fitting.. I will do it I promise)

Edited by adb968008