Planned Farish release schedule April 2019 - January 2020

lindi

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

August 1st Availability list now shows the Sealink Mk1's as Out of Stock.

Huh?!?

Tip - don't wait until they have been released, pre-order as soon as they are announced!

Looks like pre-orders have exceeded planned manufacturing quantities!

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Tip - don't wait until they have been released, pre-order as soon as they are announced!

Looks like pre-orders have exceeded planned manufacturing quantities!

Whilst I agree with your comment and generally do exactly as you say myself, it does not neccessarily mean that if you have not pre-ordered you wont be able to buy them from a supplier when they are released.

Some/most suppliers will not just buy stock to satisfy pre orders, however I suspect some will.

What it does mean is when they are available on the web/in shops, dont hang around as when they are gone they won't be able to order any more from the manufacturer.

Regards

Scott

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

August 1st Availability list now shows the Sealink Mk1's as Out of Stock.

Huh?!?

Is that just the Farish position in that they do not have any left (or unordered/unallocated) in their warehouse? And, as such, it probably means that retailers/shops won't necessarily have no stock to sell. 

G

5 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is that just the Farish position in that they do not have any left (or unordered/unallocated) in their warehouse? And, as such, it probably means that retailers/shops won't necessarily have no stock to sell. 

G

I would agree Grahame. The same status shows for some of the new TEA's as well I note.

Scott

4 hours ago, Scott B said:

Whilst I agree with your comment and generally do exactly as you say myself, it does not neccessarily mean that if you have not pre-ordered you wont be able to buy them from a supplier when they are released.

Some/most suppliers will not just buy stock to satisfy pre orders, however I suspect some will.

What it does mean is when they are available on the web/in shops, dont hang around as when they are gone they won't be able to order any more from the manufacturer.

Regards

Scott

To a large extent, it depends on the retailer. Do they have the space and sufficient spare cash to speculate in this way? Not many do!

These days, production batches are sufficiently large to cover basic costs plus a bit. This may not be sufficient to life-expire the tooling so further variants (different running numbers, for example) may be possible.

Some main-stream manufacturers also take the view that if there is a small 'demand' for a newly announced possible product, it may not justify the costs of tooling to make it. Consider: "We'd like to produce a model of this coach so we'll generate pictures (often of the full scale version) and publish them with delivery way off into the future and wait. We need to be able to sell a minimum of, say, 2000 to generate any profit. As time progresses, only, say, 500 pre-orders arrive so the manufacturer takes the decision not to even bother making the tooling. Model discontinued (cancelled)!"

In these days of batch production (often in shared facilities) and JIT, if there's little or no demand, they won't bother!

I'm not talking small companies here (Oxford, Hornby, Dapol, Bachmann, for example), I'm talking major internationals like Kato, Marklin (currently the world's largest model railway manufacturer, I believe), Roco, Fleischmann, Trix, etc.!

In short, if you like a proposed new release, register your interest with a suitable supplier at the earliest opportunity and DON'T wait until it arrives on the shelf; it might never get there (never made or pre-sold out)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What surprises me is the lack of news on the 37s and 47s that have been advertised on retailers' websites for more than 12 months now. Surely these are 'bread and butter' locos that are easy money for any manufacturer who has the tooling? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The same could be said for the Sealink Mk1's which were an existing tooling with a livery already done in OO yet they were almost two years late by the time they finally turned up.

• 1 month later...

Bachmann weren't very hopeful about modern image release dates at Spalding show. Retooled 31s and 47s late next year 2020. Rail freight 47 may be slightly earlier but not before summer it seems. 

I can't help thinking N gauge is now a low priority for Bachmann. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, fezza said:

I can't help thinking N gauge is now a low priority for Bachmann. 

With such a lot of new announcements from existing tooling at the start of the year, the speed of them (not) arriving certainly makes it begin to feel that way. Then there is new tool 8F which has been seen in EP form for a long time but apparently it will not be with us until Q2 next year.

It would be nice to be proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath...

7 minutes ago, Crepello said:

I'm wondering if there'll be anything new announced in January. Is it too early to start the frothing?

What would be the point?

As things stand, by the time we get the CL150 and CL319 in the latest Northern livery they'll all have been withdrawn on the real railway.

John P