7mm GCR 8K followed by LNER O4/6 followed by D9

Very frustrating time waiting for Premier Components chassis and rods. Having seen the historic warnings about Bill's relaxed attitude I was nevertheless sucked when I rang him and he told me they would be in the post by the end of the week. That was mid March! Impossible to contact by any medium since!

Probably quicker to scratchbuild your own, by the sound of things!

...... Any clues on how to encourage Bill very welcome!

Asking for your money back might be a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...

And a bit more together...............

Bent steps noticed and will be straightened! By the way the kit has the tool box doors and guides in one piece with doors shut. Seemed a shame to not show the space behind, so I cut new runners from scrap and cut the doors away.

post-1733-044616200 1286104335_thumb.jpg

post-1733-022045700 1286104373_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

A year's sabbatical sees some token progress with the 8K/O4. Here's a try out with Archers rivets. As I don't have a GW press, the thought of over 30 rivets on the front buffer beam was one reason why the project had stalled.

These are expensive at US$18 a sheet, but I think they look good. Have also tried a long strip along footplate edge and that is instant gratification time. Perfectly gapped rivets all in a line in seconds. Primer is applied to fix them in place. In this case, Slaters Dean taper buffers tacked in place to give impression.

I think Brian Daniels has used them recently, but a site search of RMW showed few examples.

post-1733-0-22838500-1343643465.jpg

• 1 month later...

Glacial progress continues with valances, cylinders made and rods rivetted and attached. Clearance very limited between second driver crankpin and con rod. Still have to add bands to cylinders and step will hide joint between scratch built slide bars (laminated brass strip) and Andrew's motion bracket. Steps have been made but not fitted. A few Archer's rivets have come adrift on footplate.

post-1733-0-45119000-1347229091_thumb.jpg

post-1733-0-02430200-1347229153_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yes Archers are terrific. Not having a GW press there was no other practical option. Certainly for long runs of rivets they are sweet. I would not have bothered with the top of footplate otherwise. I'm not sure they are quite big enough for 1:43 scale but that's nit picking.

Not quite happy with handrails yet. I have smoothed out the right hand transition at the smoke box end, but the left is still too angular. Cruel close up reveals a few gaps to fill around top feed.

post-1733-0-16062700-1348088740_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ever closer but still not there.................

Waiting for mud hole doors and have to fix number & builder plates

Anyone know anything about the injectors for these? Photos inconclusive and GWR ROD's don't resemble the preserved 63601 in this regard? Was a Swindon injector rigged up hence overflow pipe was angled up to meet bottom of cab step?

post-1733-0-69766900-1350302353_thumb.jpg

While waiting for bits to complete GWR version, time to start the LNER O4/6 on same basis.

Having learnt plenty, should be a bit easier this time?

So here it is after a good session. David Andrew's frame, Slaters wheels and bearings, Griffin brakes. Plain sailing apart from lengthy reaming of undersize bearing holes. One of the stretchers was far too long but eaily corrected. Have also laminated the rods.

Now for brake linkages and sandpipes.

post-1733-0-35178600-1351327531_thumb.jpg

Archived