2999 steams at Didcot

Thanks to 7007 for drawing my attention to this in the Hornby Prairie thread.

To see a locomotive whose last example was withdrawn two years after I was born is remarkable. Full credit to those involved at Didcot.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Wow amazing to see.

its an odd looking beast...

very rectangular at the front end when viewed head on, disproportionate height and in cab shape between tender and footplate, and uneven spacing of driving wheels... theres not much gap between the front two driving wheels...

I cant wait to see this loco for real, Didcot always impresses.

• Like 1

I dont know much about steam locos!  building a 5in gauge B17, but the cyl cocks i can understand. However snifting valves are usually connected to the inlet side of the superheater and when the regulator is opened is closed by steam pressure. When the regulator is closed, the snifter valves opens usually by gravity( well it does on my loco)  to allow air through the superheater tubes so they do not burn. The amount of steam coming out from between the frames looks more like leaky joints. BUT as it is a GW loco i guess they did thing differently lol

16 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

...will this be permitted on the main network?...

The potential for this surely depends on whether it has been built within the current gauge limits and equipment fit required by Network Rail, and then also its operational suitability. (The lever reverse strikes me as a fairly scary feature attached to a pair of valves actuated by engines capable of developing a thousand horse. The past is a foreign country, they did things very differently there...)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wow amazing to see.

very rectangular at the front end when viewed head on, disproportionate height and in cab shape between tender and footplate, and uneven spacing of driving wheels... theres not much gap between the front two driving wheels...

I cant wait to see this loco for real, Didcot always impresses.

GWR standard 7' 0"+ 7' 9" common for large 6 coupled locos (except King and Great Bear)

Stars & Castles have the same size wheels so would have the same clearance.

The wheel treads would be 7" apart but the flanges somewhat closer.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wow amazing to see.

Yes it's an important reminder of how shocking Churchward's  locos must have seemed when they first appeared

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are lamp brackets correct for the period?

When did the GWR change from sockets?

I've just answered my own questions by looking in Russell!

Nos 98 & 100 had sockets when new but within in a couple of years (by the time the main batches were built) they had the what we recognise as normal GWR pattern amp irons