The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

OUCH!

DonB

From time to time members have posted comments, such as "I stuck a scalpel in my thumb".

So here's a thread to confess just how clumbsy we all can be..........

My starter for 10..

Tuesday this week, carried a Flymo in one hand and an extension cable in 'tother down our drive (a 1 in 9 slope) and tripped and fell. Damage cuts to face, a sore hip and a couple of cracked ribs!

Looking for sympathy...... not much forthcoming locally!!

You could have had the Flymo plugged-in/switched-on so the blades added a little more to the situation, there might be more sympathy then... :lol:

My broken wrist has been explained elsewhere on the Forum.... All domestic brownie points went out the window.

Penlan

Picture the scene. Six foot high privet hedge, four foot thick - front to back. Set of stepladders, me and an electric hedge trimmer. lay hedge cutter down on top of trimmed hedge, make sweeping motion with the other hand, to brush off the trimmings. OOOOOO, should have waited for the blades to stop moving - snip, one finger tip split down the middle! Right through the nail.

Stuff finger into mouth and rush indoors. Wife applies bandage and it's off to hospital. Then the pain started! Throb throb throb!

Yes, we all have our tales to tell.

• RMweb Gold

This accident happend to SWMBO, not me, but read on...

I'd gone to work, she was putting our son on the school bus. As the bus left, she turned and slipped on the ice, basically landing on her left cheek. Panic phone call from daughter, so I raced home. Found SWMBO with a tennis ball size lump on her face, blood and scratches everywhere. So off to Casualty, so see what, if anything was broken. Luckily nothing but bruising, but one tooth has been slightly dislodged.

A few days later she meets with her friend, who then told her husband.

The next Saturday I'm walking into Tesco when this voice booms across - "Oi! Mr Hilton, stop beating up your wife !" Cue lots of accusing looks in my direction !

I got a kicking from the horse that I eventually took racing. He didn't have to administer the kicking, but then again he wasn't expecting me to appear on his blind side.

I'll post up some pics of the scars if I find them. Watford General glued my leg back together - normally they make A&E people wait hours but for some odd reason they turned me round in about 90 minutes - think it was 'cos they realised what my job was.

I had similar jim when some plonked pushed me down a ditch. Thought ankle was broken but eventually went the same colour as yours.

Had those MEAs you sold me out the other day posed on new layout, looking good.

Put my hand down on a chisel (that I had not replaced the safety cover on for once) and it was completely painless. Didn't know I had done it until I spray painted the wall. Right in the crease of the palm of my left hand, and I couldn't get it to stop bleeding, other than by keeping the hand in a loose fist which was rather inconvenient. Took it to casualty, junior doctor (very pretty) says (despite my warning) "open the palm", so I spray painted her too. Still absolutely no pain; once I was patched up it became clear there was no sensation in the left hand index finger. The doc who had done the job told me that at my then age, nearing 40, it was unlikely that any sensation would return.

Roughly six years later, that finger would periodically for short periods feel like needles were being jabbed into it or the skin had a grater running on it, very uncomfortable. This diminished over a month, and normal sensation was restored. So I got the pain six years after the incident. Worth it for the restoration of normal touch sensation, though I did have to revise my soldering technique...

I did this -

DSCF0903.jpg

A few years back carving the pipework off a Lima Class 47 bogie frame! Hadn't been going out with my then girlfriend/now wife for very long and I sent her a text saying I wouldn't be able to go out that night - we'd planned to go to the cinema - and she just replied with 'If you didn't want to go, you could have just said...' :lol:

It was a brand new curved scapel blade and it cut very deep and very cleanly. The latter made it very easy for the staff at the Minor Injuries Unit at Driffield Hospital to sew me up! In fact the nurse said that although it was deep, becuase it was such a clean cut it wouldn't take long to heal whereas a shallower cut with a blunt blade could have had far more problems.

I get loads of work related injuries, most common of all, Catching a finger between two trollies, now that really does smart, and it's not uncommon to see a Sam waving a hand in agony.

One other injury is running my own feet over with trollies, lastly, the second most common injury is mental; as people, young and old fail at driving, i mean, a huge great white arrow in the centre of the road indicating the direction of travel, so they drive against the flow, and wonder why I, and other people give them "The Look" as well as the total ignorance of No Entry Signs.

Sam

Archived